GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Musings on the Mk8 Golf

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
This is true, interestingly the Mk8 bonnet also has 2 latches to close and secure it, as opposed to 1 on the Mk7 & 7.5....
As does the new polo, the 2 latches and missing gas strut are a safety regulation/crash test requirement on these particular models!

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
I’m UK based and planning on getting a new Polo GTI next year, before it’s refreshed / face lifted - probably in 2021.

Currently, the Polo has real buttons and switches for heating, ventilation and A/C, an on/off knob for the infotainment unit and the traditional rotary knob for lights, but I can foresee (and fear) it going in the same direction as the mk8 Golf - all touch pads and sliders. I’m old school, and prefer physical controls for the main functions in a car that can be used in relative safety while on the move without having to divert your eyes from the road ahead to focus on a touch screen.

wait till the fall and see the face lift if possible. Adding all this digital stuff is more brand new model vs facelift I would think.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
The lower intake look like the wide grin sported by Wallace & Grommet.
The near complete reliance on screen base functions rather than physical really bothers me.
I thought I might stick with GTI's forever if you will - being they are such great all arounder's - and being I had a MK6 before my MK7.
But I don't know about that MK8...
Right now I'm thinking a used Genesis G7 will be the replacement for my MK7 when the time comes.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
So, was passing local VW dealer and decided to pop for a chat re: Mk8 Golf, bear in mind I was previously told 'demonstrators available in December, delivery 16 weeks or so after'. A senior sales dude told me "slight 'piece of string length info' but nope; demonstrators next April or so, delivery maybe next August". Guess we are all 'holding our horses' and 'keeping our powder dry' whether we like it or not....

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
So, was passing local VW dealer and decided to pop for a chat re: Mk8 Golf, bear in mind I was previously told 'demonstrators available in December, delivery 16 weeks or so after'. A senior sales dude told me "slight 'piece of string length info' but nope; demonstrators next April or so, delivery maybe next August". Guess we are all 'holding our horses' and 'keeping our powder dry' whether we like it or not....
That just for the regular golf in UK?

here are the first critics reviews, some positives and negatives. All of the reviews in one breath say the dash is nice but also say everything digital might be overboard and scare average consumer away.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...es-UK-release-date-hybrid-electric-design?amp

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
The GTi and R will be Released after the dates you mention, at the launch event they mention that the GTi / R will be released at a ‘later date’ with talk of the launch being mid-late 2020, this suggests cars would be reaching customers sometime in early 2021, this is to be taken with a pinch of salt of course!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
The delivery I was quoted applies to the UK and I was just told "Mk8 Golfs available from......" And, yeah all pinch of salt stuff at this time....
Yes, some of the other models (non GTi/R) should be available around the dates you mentioned.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
For anybody annoyed/disappointed by the absence of the hydraulic bonnet struts, If you look just above the coolant reservoir at 6:57 in this video,
the ball socket bracket that is currently used for the hydraulic bonnet struts IS STILL THERE, maybe the GTi and R will have them??!?

MIKE PP.

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf R.
I wonder if the carpeted lining in the door pockets will be deleted, as the T Roc. The new Ford Focus has them!