GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mud Flaps/Splash Guards - Yes or No

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Have you ever tried removing yours for any reason and seeing what it looks like where it contacts the car by chance?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I haven't but I'll be cleaning the wheel wells soon and I'm planning on taking them off, I'll take pics. Here is a picture that shows the
mud flaps without the wheel so that you have a better idea of where you will be drilling. A good cleaning once a year should keep that area rust free depending on where you live and driving conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Lol seriously this is why ideas afraid there are plenty of other horror stories as well....just hoping it was used error of installation or something

I have OEM flaps. I don't drive on salted/treated winter roads and hand wash my car weekly, but I may still pull them and check underneath.

ACE2

Ready to race!
I have OEM flaps. I don't drive on salted/treated winter roads and hand wash my car weekly, but I may still pull them and check underneath.
My weather is the same as yours so maybe it's just the weather that kills some cars paint

ACE2

Ready to race!
I haven't but I'll be cleaning the wheel wells soon and I'm planning on taking them off, I'll take pics. Here is a picture that shows the
mud flaps without the wheel so that you have a better idea of where you will be drilling. A good cleaning once a year should keep that area rust free depending on where you live and driving conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok awesome thank you for the updates so far

ACE2

Ready to race!
I just pick up some oem flaps yesterday. I'm going to buy some clear 3m protection film to put under them. I read people suggesting this to ensure no future damages occur

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I just pick up some oem flaps yesterday. I'm going to buy some clear 3m protection film to put under them. I read people suggesting this to ensure no future damages occur

Wish I'd done that. I did wash and wax before install.

ACE2

Ready to race!
Wish I'd done that. I did wash and wax before install.
That should help cuz it's clean but like the guy above me said , it's should be fine if you take them off from time to time and clean, just in case. But I figure might as well just clean, was, and then apply film for best protection. Either way just check up on it every now and then...couldn't hurt especially if it saves you money from damages later down the road

Joel

Ready to race!
Been considering ordering the flaps... great idea on the film underneath.. will go that way if I put them on.

ghost_03

Ready to race!
Anybody put them on and then change their mind?

I want to try mud flaps for winter as the salt spray is ridiculous here, but not sure I want to run them year round. It'd be convenient to R&R them when switching to/from snow tires. It looks like holes are drilled in the fender liner...not sure if there's a convenient way to plug those in the summer...maybe just put the screws back in with some sort of rubber gasket?

Also, are the screws all that holds them in or is there some tape in there too?

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Anybody put them on and then change their mind?

I want to try mud flaps for winter as the salt spray is ridiculous here, but not sure I want to run them year round. It'd be convenient to R&R them when switching to/from snow tires. It looks like holes are drilled in the fender liner...not sure if there's a convenient way to plug those in the summer...maybe just put the screws back in with some sort of rubber gasket?

Also, are the screws all that holds them in or is there some tape in there too?

There's no tape. It's all screws and plastic push rivets (not sure of the correct term for those). It's been awhile and I don't have the instructions handy, but IIRC there was some drilling for the rear ones and possibly some hole poking in the felt liner to make a screw hole. Or maybe not. I've put on so many flaps that the memory blends them all. It was not a difficult install. Removing the tires makes it easier.

Re your first question, nope I intend to keep them on. I will check periodically for any wear underneath though.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Is there a point in putting paint protection film under the flaps if you never plan on taking them off?

Only if you are concerned about corrosion and a potential buyer asking to look under the flaps.