GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mss track kit VS H&R vtf kit

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
If I had to do it again, I'm not sure that I would. I spent a lot of money last fall on the Ohlins, I/C, and diff, money that would cover a significant fraction of the purchase price of a Cayman S or GTS. And having done all that work on my car, I still want to buy a 981 Cayman.

The adjustability of the coilovers allows me to fine tune the handling of the car in ways that are not possible with DCC (or Damptronic) shocks. The downside is that the rear cancellers have failed again. Fortunately, Ohlins is warrantying them again, but if these canceller failures continue to occur I might end up saying screw it and going back to the GC springs with Bilstein damptronic shocks.

Besides the canceller issues, how does the ride and handling compare? Is the ride better, worse, about the same? Handling I am sure is better once you get it tuned, but is it significantly better or just marginally better?

I kind of feel the same way, I want to make this car better than it was stock for my usage, but only to a certain point. I see some folks spending 10's of thousands on upgrades and I just don't get it, I mean for that kind of money you could have just bought a better car to start with. I have already spent way more on this car than I initially intended, but it has been a fun project, and I certainly get the compulsion to do upgrades. It's like gambling, you need to know when to stop, but that is easier said than done.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Besides the canceller issues, how does the ride and handling compare? Is the ride better, worse, about the same? Handling I am sure is better once you get it tuned, but is it significantly better or just marginally better?

I kind of feel the same way, I want to make this car better than it was stock for my usage, but only to a certain point. I see some folks spending 10's of thousands on upgrades and I just don't get it, I mean for that kind of money you could have just bought a better car to start with. I have already spent way more on this car than I initially intended, but it has been a fun project, and I certainly get the compulsion to do upgrades. It's like gambling, you need to know when to stop, but that is easier said than done.

Yeah, it's easy to get carried away. I'm planning on keeping this car at least another 4 years so I figure it's with spending a bit of money to make it the car I want, and I don't have room for a 3rd car at the moment so the a Cayman S or Boxster S isn't in the cards right now (can't really lug a 3 year old around in a Cayman!). This is why I'm trying not to ruin the daily drivability of the car while still making it more fun for the once a month autocross. Bonus points if the mods are fairly easy to reverse so when I do sell the car I can recoup some of my expense!

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS

The shock damping is a lot more aggressive than stock. I also keep them set fairly firm. I have the fronts set to 10 clicks from full stiff and the rears at 7 clicks, out of a total adjustment range of 20 clicks. My spring rates are also aggressive at 80nm (450 lb) front and 110nm (625 lb) rear. I am also running a 24mm RSB set to the middle position. The handling balance is neutral with a very slight touch of understeer, which is what I want. The ride is firmer than what I had with the GC setup due to the more aggressive damping. The car is reasonably comfortable on long trips and I took it for a 1300 mile road trip to Oregon Raceway Park last September.

I made a bunch of changes all at once last fall so it's impossible to isolate the effect of the Ohlins from the rest. I'm chasing a 1:46 lap time at Laguna that I think is in sight. I'll find out at the end of July.

(and yes, I've spent 10's of thousands on upgrades)

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
If I had to do it again, I'm not sure that I would. I spent a lot of money last fall on the Ohlins, I/C, and diff, money that would cover a significant fraction of the purchase price of a Cayman S or GTS. And having done all that work on my car, I still want to buy a 981 Cayman.

The adjustability of the coilovers allows me to fine tune the handling of the car in ways that are not possible with DCC (or Damptronic) shocks. The downside is that the rear cancellers have failed again. Fortunately, Ohlins is warrantying them again, but if these canceller failures continue to occur I might end up saying screw it and going back to the GC springs with Bilstein damptronic shocks.

Basicly the only cancellers I've heard good things about (little to no failures) is the isweep ones. All the others, it seems everyone who ran them has had a failure at some-point.

BLem7

Passed Driver's Ed
@Cliff @emichel6888 @jmblur @DarkArrow

So does anyone have these measurements or a way to get them? It would be really cool to get a somewhat accurate model made in this calculator

1596130232701.png

https://www.racingaspirations.com/apps/suspension-geometry-calculator/

Last edited: