GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MPI in preparation for BT

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
I was hoping to get a sanity check from the hive mind if you have a moment. My plan is to go with a hybrid upgrade come winter. Meanwhile I was thinking of provisioning what I can beforehand, and based on my findings, I'm thinking of going with MPI.

Knowing my winter plans, can you think of any reason not to?

Thanks in advance!

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
What turbo?

DBV2 V1 or EQT Vortex Standard. Spoke to Dan at DBV2 and given my goals of 475bhp on 93 with room for a built block down the road, he also recommended a LPFP via the walbro 450. He’s basically suggesting I get fully squared on fueling to then grow into.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
This was my original plan as well. After research a larger turbo and it’s trade offs are only really worth it if you can truly maximize its potential. Bonus is with mpi you can run e85 on your stock turbo and make a power bump before the larger turbo.

Shameless plug, I have a 450 and 980cc mpi kit for sale.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
If you know you are going BT, then yes mpi and lpfp is needed for sure. Go this route and you can just skip over the hpfp and save some $

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
DBV2 V1 or EQT Vortex Standard. Spoke to Dan at DBV2 and given my goals of 475bhp on 93 with room for a built block down the road, he also recommended a LPFP via the walbro 450. He’s basically suggesting I get fully squared on fueling to then grow into.

I did it backwards. I got the turbo first and I’ve been upgrading the fuel system ever since trying to support the turbo lol.

So far I have the HPFP with a LPFP on the way and once that’s in we will be at 31PSI on 93. We might be able to do an E30 blend but past that I would need MPI. If I could do it again I would skip the HPFP and go straight to MPI and LPFP. Which is what everyone told me to do in the first place but I was in denial and told myself I would stick with stock fueling. Don’t be like me :ROFLMAO:

Also don’t forget your boost sensors. 5150 sells a full kit with the 4 and 5 bar sensors.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I did it backwards. I got the turbo first and I’ve been upgrading the fuel system ever since trying to support the turbo lol.

So far I have the HPFP with a LPFP on the way and once that’s in we will be at 31PSI on 93. We might be able to do an E30 blend but past that I would need MPI. If I could do it again I would skip the HPFP and go straight to MPI and LPFP. Which is what everyone told me to do in the first place but I was in denial and told myself I would stick with stock fueling. Don’t be like me :ROFLMAO:

Also don’t forget your boost sensors. 5150 sells a full kit with the 4 and 5 bar sensors.

Seems like that’s what happens to everyone. Unless you’re replacing a blown turbo and were planning on upgrading later down the road fuel system should always come first.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

yeah, i want to go MPI/LPFP and that was my plan then i found out (for now) 2019+ users are stuck with hpfp + lpfp only as no one has activated/enabled MPI for the new ecu's... when i found that out is when i picked up and installed the HPFP... putting in the LP this weekend.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
yeah, i want to go MPI/LPFP and that was my plan then i found out (for now) 2019+ users are stuck with hpfp + lpfp only as no one has activated/enabled MPI for the new ecu's... when i found that out is when i picked up and installed the HPFP... putting in the LP this weekend.
Rick @ Unicorn has activated port injectors on Simos 18.10 ECU with OPF.

"2019 GPF model Golf R. We have carried out extensive tuning work on this late model Golf R. A full scorpion exhaust system including GPF delete and L380x turbo. The lasted modification is the activation and tuning of the port injectors. GPF cars no longer run the 4 additional port injectors. After the install of the older manifold and fuel rail from the non GPF model we were able to enable the port injectors in the original ECU software. Power is an impressive 437bhp and 425lb of torque."

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Rick @ Unicorn has activated port injectors on Simos 18.10 ECU with OPF.

"2019 GPF model Golf R. We have carried out extensive tuning work on this late model Golf R. A full scorpion exhaust system including GPF delete and L380x turbo. The lasted modification is the activation and tuning of the port injectors. GPF cars no longer run the 4 additional port injectors. After the install of the older manifold and fuel rail from the non GPF model we were able to enable the port injectors in the original ECU software. Power is an impressive 437bhp and 425lb of torque."
i thought the 19 R were still using the former ECU? and that was in part why they never got plagued with the stalling that lots of the 2019 GTI's were dealing with.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
I did my MPI/LPFP Flex install last November, looking to do DBV2 V1 TBB with moderate boost for reliability since I like to HPDE. Seemed like a good option for me