GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MPG down, #3 miss

FamilieTrukvagen

Car(s)
'15 Sportwagen
This is a partial repost from Vortex, in the hunt for advice. From the beginning:

MPG, both city and highway, were down by about 20% compared to peak post break-in with slightly rough idle. WOT, cruise, both fine throughout the rev range. Car is stock, lightly driven, lots of short trips, with about 40K on the clock. No codes on a generic reader. I started with the easy stuff: air filter, (dealer sourced) plugs (both of which looked fine). No improvement.

Borescope showed somewhat dirty valves. I tried a couple of cans of cleaner through the MAP port. Minimal improvement both in mpg and appearance on scope. Car was in for sunroof drain TSB and dealer also said no codes, and also blamed dirty valves, but wanted $1200 to clean. Had the media blasting done for much less by indie mech, but only partial improvement. I installed new coil packs (again, easy), but no difference.

Picked up OBD11. Live data shows missing on #3, perhaps 30 or so for a 30 minute ride and as much as 2/1000 revs. Still nothing on 1,2,4. No fault codes.
For one startup, had worse than usual idle, and via OBD11 immediately pulled intermittent codes P0201, P0202, P0203, P0204 (each cylinder injector circuit), plus databus U112300. Clear them, and it never happens again.

I swapped the coils and plugs between 3 and 4 and the miss stays at #3. While in there, I checked compression (regular, not leakdown) and it was fine and equal between cylinders. The borescope showed a little carbon on the pistons but no better/worse on #3.

I'm on tank #3 of cleaner (tried both Techron and Gumout total) and it got better and then slightly worse again (total 30 misses for a 30 minute trip down to 5 and today 30). Still no fault codes. I'm favoring a bad injector. There is no obvious harness damage on the coil side but of course I can't see the injector harness. Any thoughts would be helpful, particularly if there is another OBD11 live data reading I should be looking at for clues.

Thanks in advance.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Model? Year?

Seems like it’s injector time, I personally replaced mine at I think 60k. In your case, there’s nothing left to replace besides that.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Is SOP to replace just one, all four with new or get them cleaned/balanced?
Rule of thumb is all 4, you can try getting them cleaned and reinstall, but I didn’t have the option to be out of a car that long.

FamilieTrukvagen

Car(s)
'15 Sportwagen
Good lord. A full set with installation kit is 1100 bucks at ECS. Putting them under the intake manifold does not make for easy replacement, either.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Good lord. A full set with installation kit is 1100 bucks at ECS. Putting them under the intake manifold does not make for easy replacement, either.
After you take the manifold out once it’s not bad, trust me I just did it again today to take a a piece of broken plastic.

Try to find the exact PN for the year you have or maybe the PN for a ‘17 model if it exists. I ended up only paying like 400 for the injectors that way.

FamilieTrukvagen

Car(s)
'15 Sportwagen
I can deal with the down time, so will probably go the ship/clean/test route. Estimates run ~$40/injector for DI (25 per for port).
One thing I noticed: the #3 missfire count spiked noticeably in real time running part throttle in neutral, standing still, with a few popping up on #2 as well. I don't know if this supports the failed injector theory or not.