GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Movie and TV Recommendations

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Been really meaning to watch Peacemaker. I hated the first Suicide Squad, but absolutely loved the second Suicide Squad -- and it seems like Peacemaker will continue along the vein of the second. Just gotta find time.

I've been catching my girlfriend up with Atlanta so we can watch the third season together when it starts airing in late March.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Been really meaning to watch Peacemaker. I hated the first Suicide Squad, but absolutely loved the second Suicide Squad -- and it seems like Peacemaker will continue along the vein of the second. Just gotta find time.

I've been catching my girlfriend up with Atlanta so we can watch the third season together when it starts airing in late March.

Yeah. Asides from sharing a good chunk of the cast, Suicide Squad (2016) and The Suicide Squad (2021) are completely different films. Peacemaker definitely carries the same vibe as the 2021 film.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I want to add some praise for Euphoria.

That show is an absolute masterpiece

Another show I've been meaning to watch. Damn, this list is endless.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I pretty much don't watch shows until they are over or at their last season. No point getting invested in them only to be cancelled. Not being on social media helps to avoid spoilers. Social media sucks anyways so it's a win-win.
Agreed, also sucks to catch up to new episodes and have to wait each week, or worse, months for a new season. Plus it seems like lots of shows drop around the same time, so then it's a crush of new content. Currently waiting on The Boys, Stranger Things, Better Call Saul, Umbrella Academy, For All Mankind and I'm sure a few other things and most of them all startup around April. Good thing the kid's still in school.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Agreed, also sucks to catch up to new episodes and have to wait each week, or worse, months for a new season. Plus it seems like lots of shows drop around the same time, so then it's a crush of new content. Currently waiting on The Boys, Stranger Things, Better Call Saul, Umbrella Academy, For All Mankind and I'm sure a few other things and most of them all startup around April. Good thing the kid's still in school.

Didn't watch Umbrella Academy, but everything else on that list is solid.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
My wife convinced me to watch Mrs Maisel, it's been much better than I expected. Looking forward to getting Killing Eve over with soon, it's been pretty useless since the first season, sort of a Mr Robot, good premise and first season, not really anything special since then.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
The Batman (2022)

4.5/5

A lot of similarities to The Dark Knight, but I didn't actively find myself comparing the two. This Batman felt smarter than the previous versions. More time was spent at the crime scenes. More time was spent investigating. Yes, he had high tech gadgets, but didn't completely rely on them. At one point he dug through old filing cabinets looking for information. His "Batman voice" wasn't overdone. His suit moved more fluidly while previous versions always seemed a little too stiff. The score was incredible and I kept wanting the "BUM bum bum BUUUMM" to go on longer. Was Paul Dano's Riddler better than Heath Ledger's Joker? Absolutely not. But was The Batman overall better than The Dark Knight? Too close to call.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The Batman (2022)

4.5/5

A lot of similarities to The Dark Knight, but I didn't actively find myself comparing the two. This Batman felt smarter than the previous versions. More time was spent at the crime scenes. More time was spent investigating. Yes, he had high tech gadgets, but didn't completely rely on them. At one point he dug through old filing cabinets looking for information. His "Batman voice" wasn't overdone. His suit moved more fluidly while previous versions always seemed a little too stiff. The score was incredible and I kept wanting the "BUM bum bum BUUUMM" to go on longer. Was Paul Dano's Riddler better than Heath Ledger's Joker? Absolutely not. But was The Batman overall better than The Dark Knight? Too close to call.

Have tickets to go see it tonight. Looking forward to it, have heard nothing but good things.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The Batman (2022)

4.5/5

A lot of similarities to The Dark Knight, but I didn't actively find myself comparing the two. This Batman felt smarter than the previous versions. More time was spent at the crime scenes. More time was spent investigating. Yes, he had high tech gadgets, but didn't completely rely on them. At one point he dug through old filing cabinets looking for information. His "Batman voice" wasn't overdone. His suit moved more fluidly while previous versions always seemed a little too stiff. The score was incredible and I kept wanting the to go on longer. Was Paul Dano's Riddler better than Heath Ledger's Joker? Absolutely not. But was The Batman overall better than The Dark Knight? Too close to call.

So. Way too long. Movie didn't need to be almost 3hrs. Wasn't bad at all, but it's the kind of movie where 2hrs in you look at you phone and go "Jesus, there's still an hour to go?!?".

In the same vein, score was good, but over used. That same "BUM bum bum BUUUMM" was used in just about every scene of the film.

Dano was great and Pattinson was great. Whole cast was, really. Serkis was underutilized.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
So. Way too long. Movie didn't need to be almost 3hrs. Wasn't bad at all, but it's the kind of movie where 2hrs in you look at you phone and go "Jesus, there's still an hour to go?!?".

In the same vein, score was good, but over used. That same "BUM bum bum BUUUMM" was used in just about every scene of the film.

Dano was great and Pattinson was great. Whole cast was, really. Serkis was underutilized.

I disagree about the length. I never once thought it felt too long. Not calling you out specifically, but a lot of people today complain about 2-3 hour long movies yet they’ll binge a show on Netflix for 4-6 hours straight. I think it’s an attention span thing. Not saying that’s your case, but the difference is at the theater you can’t look at your phone where as at home you can play on your phone the whole time if you want. So a three hour movie/show at home doesn’t feel the same as it does in the theater for most people.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I disagree about the length. I never once thought it felt too long. Not calling you out specifically, but a lot of people today complain about 2-3 hour long movies yet they’ll binge a show on Netflix for 4-6 hours straight. I think it’s an attention span thing. Not saying that’s your case, but the difference is at the theater you can’t look at your phone where as at home you can play on your phone the whole time if you want. So a three hour movie/show at home doesn’t feel the same as it does in the theater for most people.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against 3 hour movies at all. I have no problem sitting in a theater for 3 hours. Especially since I go to the fancy theaters with cozy reclining seats where they'll bring you wings and beer while you're watching the movie.

I just think this particular movie was too long and drawn out. There wasn't enough going on with the plot to make it last that long.

I still liked it, and would watch it again. It's absolutely worth seeing.