GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mountain bike thread

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
Dbest I'm diggen that single front sprocket you're running on your bike. Your bike is super dialed I bet it is a friggen blast to ride. Also what made you decide with the shimano clip ins? I used to race BMX in my high school days and I was all about the egg beaters. Specifically Crank brothers pedals.

Last edited:

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I've been using 1x on dirt for years now and I like it. My hardtail is 1x10 with a 32t front ring and an 11-36 casette and to be honest it's to highly geared for all the climbing out here. I can do it, I have a couple years, but there's more pedal mashing than spinning involved which catches up to you on long dirt rides.

With the new bike's 1x11 it's a 28t front ring with a 10-42 tooth cassette. It give almost the same range as a full 2x10 setup but without redundant gear ratios, a front derailleur, front shifter, front shift cable and housing, heavier crank with multiple chain rings, shorter rear derailleur cage, and more ground clearance (from no big ring to smack into rocks). Realistically it's a simpler, better shifting, lighter, more efficient, drivetrain in exchange for having your highest gear ratio fall just short of a 2x10 setup. My highest gear now I spin out at about going 27mph, you rarely get into your highest gears and that high of a speed hauling through a narrow rocky forest on the side of a mountain so it's the perfect setup for me.

I'm really liking it so far, after 15-20 miles of break in, setup, and tweaking the suspension is really came to life and feels good. With the wide rims, meaty tires, and plush suspension I've been messing with tire pressures. So far the lower I've gone the better it's ridden. I'm currently dropped down to 18psi front and 20psi rear without burping air or hitting the rim and with lots of grip.

I'm still getting used to the bike though, I've never had a full suspension bike, this much suspension, this much grip, this slack of a head angle, or this short of a stem. Aimed down it's fantastic, climbing has a learning curve. With the lightweight front, lower gearing, and short chain stays it's very easy to pop the front end up even when I don't want to. With the geometry and short stem the steering is much slower than I'm used to with steep head angles on XC type bikes. It'll be fine once I learn how to ride it.

As for pedals, SPDs just simply work (especially XT). Crank Brothers pedals are well known to be unreliable shit. Literally every single pedal I've personally witnessed break or have friends that have had issues with have been Crank Brothers. There's even a common running joke that's directions for rebuilding egg beaters, step 1 remove them, step 2 throw them away and install shimanos. Plus we are up to 8 bikes between my wife and I, the TT/Tri bikes have Look Keo Blade 2 Carbon pedals, the rest have Shimano SPD with XTs on our main high end bikes.

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
Really jealous of those awesome pictures of the trails there. That's coming for a SoCal rider too. Thanks for posting.

I'm really debating changing my stumpy fsr 29er 3x9 to 2x9. 1X is very appealing but I think I would just give up too much of a granny and top gear to do that. I may just keep it cheap and just replace the crank to a 2X.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Really jealous of those awesome pictures of the trails there. That's coming for a SoCal rider too. Thanks for posting.

I'm really debating changing my stumpy fsr 29er 3x9 to 2x9. 1X is very appealing but I think I would just give up too much of a granny and top gear to do that. I may just keep it cheap and just replace the crank to a 2X.

Shimano XT or SLX stuff can be had for pretty cheap if you go to the right place. I was considering going from sram to shimano on my FS bike and was surprised. Food for thought if you want to go x10.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
3x anything has so many redundant unessesary gears it's just dead weight that shift crappy. It's simple enough to go 2x9 but it still leave a bit to be desired. 2x10 would be a nice grade but then your looking at a lot of extra parts.

IMHO the new SRAM GX or G1 or whatever it's called is going to be a game changer. Affordable 1x11 for the masses (you still need a wheel with a hub you can swap to an XD driver though).

You can always look locally for new take offs and get a deal to.

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
Yeah Sram GX looks awesome. Still not sure I could give up the range I have now though. Just last week I rode 34 miles, from everything from steep technical climbs to road riding back home in top gear.

I need to start consciously riding my granny in that 22x32 position to simulate what a 30x42 granny would be like to see if I could handle GX 1x11.

For now though it looks like Shimano 2X cranks can be had for under $100 and that is likely the route I will take. Then when my cassette is worn I'll convert the rear to 11 speed and drop a front chainring and shifter and run 1x11.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
3x9 down to 1x11 you basically lose your single highest and single lowest gear. I'd do it, you can always change the chainring to. Personally I went slightly lower on the front ring, the low range is more usable than the top range.

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
1x11 will probably be in my future but right now GX is $600 and about $150 for a new wheel with the XD freehub. Right now I think I would rather slowly upgrade parts as they wear and just go 2x9 cheaply now.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
1x11 will probably be in my future but right now GX is $600 and about $150 for a new wheel with the XD freehub. Right now I think I would rather slowly upgrade parts as they wear and just go 2x9 cheaply now.

If you can hold out for the shimano XT m8000 series, you can get a 1x11 rear that won't require an XD driver. It's going to be an 11x42 though.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Got in a ride today with my wife

Hike-a-bike from random other riders puts some perspective on how chunky this stuff really is.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
This has been a crappy season so far. We've had precipitation 22 of the 25 days of this month so far. It's been the wettest spring in 20 years here so riding has been extremely limited.

Buffalo Creek is my favorite place to ride and Little Scraggy is my favorite trail in that trail system. It just got completed last year as an out and back from the main trail area to a campground, the next two years it's getting a section added to loop it back into the Colorado Trail.

My in-laws are in town so of course the trails are drying now so yesterday we took them out to Buff Creek to hike the Little Scraggy trail. It's such a well designed trail that with the exception of a couple climbs it's flowy enough to feel downhill in both directions despite being about 10 miles round trip with 1500ish feet of elevation gain. Because it's so flowy I have to much fun to really stop on the bike to get pics, since we were on foot I took a ton of pictures.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Here's another trail we normally ride that we hiked with the family yesterday. This is a short one, it's only 1.1 miles but with around 700 feet of elevation gain. Its roughly an 11% average grade but peaks out around 22%. It sucks to ride it up but it's a blast to ride down. The trail system is kinda like the shape of glasses, the top main area of the trail has 2 one way loops that alternate directions once a month, with a 2 way connector section between them, then from the furthest out sections on each loop there is a link trail connecting it to the canyon roads on each side. This is one of the link trails.

From the bottom up

From the top back down - you can go HAM and rally the shit out of this trail (except for stopping to give uphill riders the right of way)