GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Motul '8100 x-cess' or 'Specific 505 01 502 00'?

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Exactly

Mobil 1 0W-40 in the 5-quart jug from WallyWorld is the best deal out there, and will do just as good of a job as any of these overpriced exotic import boutique oils.

https://www.mobil.com/English-AU/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-0W40

I'll pass. Having run M1 0w40 European Formula since I bought the car, and experiencing the same thing I've always experienced with M1 (Shear under high heat/load), I'll never run it again. I ran it in my built SR20 powered cars, and it didn't last more than 2k miles. I have a feeling it's diluting way too quickly with DI on a big turbo, and while I haven't had MOA done yet, I can suspect it's not pretty. You can just feel it's not up to task, and my motor is noisy with it.

Does he even vape?? :D
LOL! I do though :p

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
If you're shearing the oil excessively in 2K miles you have something seriously wrong going on be it excess fuel in the oil or some thing else.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I'll pass. Having run M1 0w40 European Formula since I bought the car, and experiencing the same thing I've always experienced with M1 (Shear under high heat/load), I'll never run it again. I ran it in my built SR20 powered cars, and it didn't last more than 2k miles. I have a feeling it's diluting way too quickly with DI on a big turbo, and while I haven't had MOA done yet, I can suspect it's not pretty. You can just feel it's not up to task, and my motor is noisy with it.

LOL! I do though :p

Why are you using that shitty oil? Castro synthetic 5w-40 or anything else but M1 for stock to stage 2 and then what Ed suggested for bigger turbo.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Just did mine today and yes, it's VW 502 approved.

greens

Ready to race!
If you're out of the warranty period and/or running an upgraded turbo, or simply don't care about following spec, there's nothing better out there than Redline 5W40.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
If you're out of the warranty period and/or running an upgraded turbo, or simply don't care about following spec, there's nothing better out there than Redline 5W40.

Do you have the VW 502 test sequence results to show us or is this just your opinion like everyone else's opinion? ;)

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Like the title says.

Would you go with Motul '8100 x-cess' or 'Specific 505 01 502 00'?

I would use the 5W40. Both oils meet VW502.

My goals: Avoid carbon, wear, and oil consumption.

I have both oils. used specific for most of the time, recently just started ex-cess 8100. to be honest i don't know if there is much difference. ocd tells me specific is a "better" oil.

My tuner (Ed @ EQT) recommended I use Motul Sport 5w40. He beats the hell out of his car, so if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me :)

For the record, I was using M1 Euro spec (VW Approved) oil, and we both feel it's not up to the task for an upgraded turbo. I haven't sent it off for free analysis, I'll probably do that shortly when I change to Motul.

this oil is 100% ester. i think its probably better than x-cess8100 and specific. but curious what is the % of ester in those? the technical datasheets only show 100% synthetic whereas the sport one you referenced states 100% synthetic-ester. same? different? marketing? interesting..

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
Agree that Redline makes good stuff (used it a lot in old bimmers), but going to stick with VW502 through long warranty period.

Unfortunately you can't tell how good an oil lubricates without specific industry wear and other tests as dictated by an oil spec such as the VW 502. As it turns out Redline now offers a VW 502/505 approved oil for those who desire to use this brand of oil. It's in their Professional Series OEM approved oils.

https://www.redlineoil.com/professional-series-5w40-motor-oil