GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More Feels! MK7 GTI Build for Street and HPDE

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
Unreal's 2015 GTI DSG S Build Thread​

My overall goal is to create a more visceral, communicative and sportier GTI.

I do plan on taking my car to HPDE's and drag strips and will document that experience here as well. Expect most of my mods to be centered around handling, but really tightening the car up for a more connected and mechanical driving experience.

Current modifications:

ECS Front Control Arm Polyurethane Bushings
K&N Typhoon Intake
Cobb Accessport Stage 1+ & MAP Beta Map
USP Motorsport Catless Downpipe

Future mods:

Eurocode Front Strut Mount (currently on the way)
Tyrol Sport Front Deadset Kit (still debating)
Pilot Super Sports or Bridgestone RE71R
Sway bars

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
My old car:

My new car as of June 2016:

I have to get some fancier pics at some point!

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Looking forward to the build thread! Is it grey or black? I have a hard time differentiating the two under certain lighting!

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
ECS Polyurethane Bushings Review

ECS Polyurethane Bushings Review

First off, don’t make the same mistakes I did. Being the overly frugal guy that I am, I tried to save a little money and opted only for the bushings and associated hardware without the ECS supplied control arms. I contacted a shop prior to purchase and they told me they could press the bushings in for about $60 which would have saved me around $80. However, once I took the bushings to them, they asked me for instructions on how to press them in. :eek:

They knew they were polyurethane beforehand. Needless to say they didn’t instill much confidence so I took it to another shop and they pressed them in for $100.

In the end, cheaping it out wasn’t worth the hassle, I should have bought the complete kit with the control arms and bushings pre-installed.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...hane-bushings-with-hardware/008692ecs01-02kt/

Installation:

Not easy on the DSG! Mistake number two I made was not checking the fine print before purchasing. There’s a footnote within the installation pdf stating the following:

“If your vehicle is equipped with a DSG or Tiptronic transmission, you will need to unbolt the pendulum mount from the subframe and swing the engine forward to remove the LH control arm bolt. This hardware is also “Torque to Yield” hardware, and replacements can be found..."

That’s the only aspect that made this a time consuming install. I wish I could provide in-depth details on the process, however this one was out of my wheelhouse so I had my father install the kit for me. My recommendation, check the installation pdf on their site before moving forward.

Performance:

A few reasons you may want to invest in this kit:

-Eliminate wheel hop. I was not experiencing any prior to install so I cannot personally speak on this aspect, however poly control arm bushings are known to help reduce wheel hop.

-More road feel/feedback through the chassis and steering wheel. This is the main reason, really only reason, I decided to purchase this kit and thankfully it delivered. Stock, the steering wheel has perfect weight in sport mode, but was way too numb for my liking. With these bushings you feel more of the road and overall get more of a mechanical feel from the car.

-Improved response. Very marginal difference here, if you’re solely purchasing this kit in expectations of achieving razor sharp reflexes, you may end up disappointed.

Verdict:

Pros
+ More communicative/sportier feeling through the steering wheel and chassis. Biggest factor.
+ I did not notice any increase in NVH. No squeaking from the bushings either.
+ Good value.

Cons
- I imagine the SuperPro Control Arm kit with anti-lift geometery is probably the better performer. But, it’s $800! If you don’t mind swinging that much for control arms I would suggest going in that direction.
- Don’t go in expecting a night and day difference out of your steering response. It’s very marginal.
- This negative comes down to preference. Of course feeling more of the road also means your car is going to feel less isolated. You will experience more vibrations, bumps, etc. It’s not jarring and still comfortable, but it’s enough of a difference whereas this mod won’t be for someone that wants a plush and luxurious ride.

Overall

I’d rate these a solid 8/10, I’m happy with the purchase as they delivered on my expectations. Remember the theme of this build, more feels, for that the ECS bushing kit was a step in the right direction. I knocked a couple points off for the install and not being as advanced as the SuperPro’s.

Note

After install my car now pulls to the right. On straight roads I have to turn my wheel slightly to the left in order to stay on a straight path. I had my alignment checked at a VW dealership and the front was spot on. Oddly, it was the rear that was slightly out of spec. From what I was told it was the toe and wouldn't be causing the car to pull right. It also wasn't far enough out of spec to warrant fixing. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
I would have your alignment checked by a different company. Always good to get a second Opinion. THanks for the review of the control arms. I thought about them but I'm not sure I will actually need em.

Swoope

Ready to race!
wow,

great old car. not really sure of your track intentions, but take it from me. start with camber plates in front.

i have an rx8 the is used mostly for track and set up that way. it was down for a year new motor time.

ran my gti pp dsg on track. fun, but you will kill front tires if you are remotely fast.

was running pss tires and wheels from rx8 with wobble bolts.

gti with twincooler, running ed stage one on track. st rsb, and porterfield r4 pads front, with leftover ebc yellowshit on rear.

pretty fun on track, the rsb make a huge difference. the pp diff is a hoot out of 60 something corners.

in my opinion to do the car right for the track/hpde.

coilovers with camber plates..
get front camber to at least 2deg.
maybe a rsb with that stuff.

then have fun.

after i get the rx8 re dialed in.
it got new motor and new coilovers, i think i might move back to the gti for track..

it is so much more comfortable to and from, and ~37 mgp to and from, then ~12 mpg on track vs. rx8 ~22 mpg to and from then ~9 mpg on track. but is is so fun to drive!

i would think the 944 is the same.

beers

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
Got my Eurocode front strut bar on today, I'll post my impressions soon. Spoiler alert, it's pretty darn good so far. :D

Attachments

• ecode1.jpg
    ecode1.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 1,414
  • ecode2.jpg
    ecode2.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 1,479

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
What are your plans on shocks, springs, spring bearings and mounts?
Just wondering if you plan to change in any way.

I haven't put too much thought into that yet to be honest. I'm thinking it'll probably be best that I get some track time in before getting into the nitty gritty.

wow,

great old car. not really sure of your track intentions, but take it from me. start with camber plates in front.

i have an rx8 the is used mostly for track and set up that way. it was down for a year new motor time.

ran my gti pp dsg on track. fun, but you will kill front tires if you are remotely fast.

was running pss tires and wheels from rx8 with wobble bolts.

gti with twincooler, running ed stage one on track. st rsb, and porterfield r4 pads front, with leftover ebc yellowshit on rear.

pretty fun on track, the rsb make a huge difference. the pp diff is a hoot out of 60 something corners.

in my opinion to do the car right for the track/hpde.

coilovers with camber plates..
get front camber to at least 2deg.
maybe a rsb with that stuff.

then have fun.

after i get the rx8 re dialed in.
it got new motor and new coilovers, i think i might move back to the gti for track..

it is so much more comfortable to and from, and ~37 mgp to and from, then ~12 mpg on track vs. rx8 ~22 mpg to and from then ~9 mpg on track. but is is so fun to drive!

i would think the 944 is the same.

beers

Having a GTI and Rx8 to pick from is pretty bad ass.

I loved my 944, the car was so planted and handled like it was on rails. But, unfortunately it was my only car and just wasn't the ideal daily driver. At some point I hope I'm able to get a miata, Rx8 or another 944 for a track/weekend car.

I'm definitely going to keep your suggestions in mind and will probably have some questions for you once I'm ready to go that route. Thanks.

Swoope

Ready to race!
Just ordered the H&R 26mm RSB

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-h-and-r-parts/rear-sway-bar-26mm/71787-26~hr/

I want to shoot a before and after video, but not sure how feasible that's going to be.

Also wondering if I could get away with PSS with the weather still being a little cold. Looking at 40-50 avg during the day into mid March and then 50-60 towards the end of the month. hmm. Probably still too soon?

do not piss away money on a rsb if you are going to upgrade the suspension.

the pss will be fine on you cold days.. actually if you know how to drive in snow they will do that too..

beers

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
Too late, but I don't mind giving it a shot since it'll be awhile till I change my suspension. If I no longer need it I'll just take it off and sell it. Right now I'm planning on getting tires, deadset kit and new downpipe before suspension.

Johnpaul

Ready to race!
do not piss away money on a rsb if you are going to upgrade the suspension.

the pss will be fine on you cold days.. actually if you know how to drive in snow they will do that too..

beers

So are you suggesting that coilovers eliminate the need for sway bars?