GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods you're wasting money on...

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Flow chart for mods:

Like what the rear swaybar did? Good! Leave the front alone, or you’ll gain your understeer back.

While I'll agree to most of the statements in this thread, this one is wrong. It would be true in a double wishbone setup, but on a mcstrut car where you gain positive camber as you compress the strut assembly, reducing front end roll increases front end grip and therefore limits understeer.

Don't believe me? Source

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Jake, nice write up, one of the best things I've seen on here.

As to others saying anti-tip ect. well to be fair, if your broke and like to work on the car, maybe of those turbo in/out ect help with nothing but are fun to do. and its easy on the pocket

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
t would be true in a double wishbone setup, but on a mcstrut car where you gain positive camber as you compress the strut assembly, reducing front end roll increases front end grip and therefore limits understeer.
I'll be the centrist here- you're both right. Reducing front end roll increases front end grip and therefore limits understeer. But the relationship between the front and the back also matters. If you can stiffen BOTH ends, while shifting the bias to the rear, you're in the best situation.

Case in point:

Stock....... 24/20 = 1.2 front bias

Once you upgrade the RSB with say an 26mm H&R, you've shifted the bias to the rear: 24/26 rear = 0.92 front bias

Here are some popular combos:

Eibach 29/25 = 1.16 front bias

H&R 26/24 = 1.083 front bias
28/26 = 1.076 front bias
26/26 = 1.0 front bias

Neuspeed 25/25 = 1.0 front bias

Now I've checked the forum, and haven't found anyone running the 26/26 H&R, but I'd be willing to bet it would understeer a bit less than the Eibach, despite the huge FSB. Once you've stiffened the front enough, the relationship can be tuned by shifting the bias to the back.

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
This should be a sticky and there should be a Thread called mods that are worth the money.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
This should be a sticky and there should be a Thread called mods that are worth the money.

The amount of arguing that would go into choosing the best mods for the money would break this forum :LOL:. So much of it depends on personal preference. Some such as myself go for all out performance in a straight line, some like performance in the corners, some like aesthetics, and others like a little bit of everything. Unfortunately there really is no right way to modify your car and if there was what would the fun be in that?

Edit: I can’t spell

Last edited:

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
While I'll agree to most of the statements in this thread, this one is wrong. It would be true in a double wishbone setup, but on a mcstrut car where you gain positive camber as you compress the strut assembly, reducing front end roll increases front end grip and therefore limits understeer.

Don't believe me? Source

Back in my autocross days I raced my 01 Impreza RS and upgraded my struts & springs with STi units from a version 6 STi along with a Cusco rear sway and I forget which front sway I installed but they were huge sway bars. I have to say that the car just felt like it wanted to rotate even more after the upgrade. I cant say that the understeer increased, but like you said it limited the understeer.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Have an 18 SE FBO IS38 and I'm switching to the TPC20 hybrid because the bearings are leaking on the IS38 and I run pump gas + Torco octane booster and I'm definitely getting a custom tune. E is too far away especially considering I have to fill up everyday. An OTS tune would be leaving a lot of power untapped and affect driveability.

Mk7sport

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 golf R
So the 3 inch down pipe is the Bang for the buck?
i am in Florida and have been led to believe that an aftermarket ic Is helpful
thanks for all the logical information.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I think its decently balanced but I dont know what a lift-throttle oversteer is tbh
Basically, it's when you going through a corner and let of the throttle, the tail starts to step out. In front wheel drive cars, it can help get you through the corner if it's controllable. In my old '91 MR2, it snapped so quickly that you sometimes couldn't recover (I had to learn to walk again after 3 months in a hospital bed).