GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods you're wasting money on...

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Can we get back to the original topic of helping me? Thanks!

FMIC, DP, tune and DSG tune.

All else is optional. You will gain 10whp and drop weight with a catback, intake and TIP can reduce restriction and increase efficiency, a colder set of plugs might allow a touch more timing advance, etc.

They're wants though, not needs.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
I'll post it tonight.

IS38 maxed on pump gas 367whp SAE dynojet, perfect fuel pressure.

I have a 40-165mph pull datalogged on E30, stock HPFP, no pressure loss.

Stop believing companies who write garbage tunes and push products you don't need.

One question...

The IS38 variant you have actually has a ton of data uploaded by lots of people... Most of this data shows the stock HFPF being a bottleneck on pump gas OR the HFPF being upgraded on these cars.

I assume you specifically adjusted/tuned the injection window allowing you to maintain pressure on the stock pump? Adjusting for a HFPF that can't hold consistent pressure is different then installing one that wouldn't require you to do so (you still need to adjust, but it's not because of a limitation at that point). If you are hitting a ceiling, common sense says the HFPF needs to be upgraded. Did I miss something?

Also... Ed talking about a car that made 396/390 SAE on 93 oct with stock fuel pumps and Littco (Dan) saying a LPFP would be needed to address the breakup up top...

Dan, I respectfully disagree on this one. I’ve upgraded the hpfp only on many cars including my own and gained a lot of fueling headroom. The factory pump will start to drop pressure past a certain flow rate (some more than others). Upgrading just the HPFP allows it to hold consistent pressure until you start running into the flow limitation of re LPFP. On pump gas cars, I find a HPFP is all that’s needed. For any ethanol blends, the LPFP becomes a limitation.

As a data point, I was able to run my car on the IS38 with full E85 with only a HPFP upgrade.

Thanks
— Ed

So I'll say it one more time...

Reliability, money aside, best supporting mods...

Upgrade your HFPF.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Looked at the second log, and I'm surprised to see that it does show a slight dip in fuel pressure. More in the mid-range, which HPFP would solve.

Whoa whoa whoa... what is this?

The misfires are generally not from going lean but from exceeding the injection window. This happens when pressure drops.

On this car with stock hpfp, I actually target less pressure in the mid range because that’s all the hpfp has to offer. Then I taper it up at higher rpm as it can supply more. But it’s always basically on the edge of what the hpfp has to give.

— Ed

Talking about the same 396/390 SAE on 93 oct with stock fuel pump car above...

Hoon

Autocross Champion
One question...

The IS38 variant you have actually has a ton of data uploaded by lots of people... Most of this data shows the stock HFPF being a bottleneck on pump gas OR the HFPF being upgraded on these cars.

I assume you specifically adjusted/tuned the injection window allowing you to maintain pressure on the stock pump? Adjusting for a HFPF that can't hold consistent pressure is different then installing one that wouldn't require you to do so (you still need to adjust, but it's not because of a limitation at that point). If you are hitting a ceiling, common sense says the HFPF needs to be upgraded. Did I miss something?

Also... Ed talking about a car that made 396/390 SAE on 93 oct with stock fuel pumps and Littco (Dan) saying a LPFP would be needed to address the breakup up top...

Upgrade your HFPF.

I'll address all of this in detail later.

I did not say an HPFP was unnecessary for hybrids or big turbos, the conversation was about IS38 cars. The post you're referencing is an L450 car that had slight loss of fuel pressure, my car will do the same without MPI above 27psi on the L450. It would NOT do this on an IS38 (even with more boost pressure). Keep in mind boost pressure across different turbos cannot be compared (it is not a measure of flow, you need to fuel air mass not boost pressure).

To max an L450 on pump you need an HPFP. It's 7mm bigger than an IS38 and therefore moving a decent amount more air.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
No need to get nit picky about his choice of words. We all understood what he meant.

Unless you live in a place where temps are always low, or only drive in the winter, yes, an IC is required to maintain your power gains. (Rules always have exceptions)

I thought it was a poor choice of words. I don't see benefit in creating confusion, that was my opinion, you guys have yours. Agree to disagree and let's move on.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
All mods are a waste of money...leave it stock [emoji123][emoji39][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I'll address all of this in detail later.

I did not say an HPFP was unnecessary for hybrids or big turbos, the conversation was about IS38 cars. The post you're referencing is an L450 car that had slight loss of fuel pressure, my car will do the same without MPI above 27psi on the L450. It would NOT do this on an IS38 (even with more boost pressure). Keep in mind boost pressure across different turbos cannot be compared (it is not a measure of flow, you need to fuel air mass not boost pressure).

To max an L450 on pump you need an HPFP. It's 7mm bigger than an IS38 and therefore moving a decent amount more air.

*Spoken in old timey news reel voice*

Dearest Hoon,

I hope all is well at the front as you battle the internet trolls. You're in our thoughts and prayers. Keep safe and keep up the good fight.

Your MK7 family back home

railroader

Autocross Newbie

Hoon

Autocross Champion
FWIW I see no HPFP in unitronics IS38 hardware upgrade kit

I'm not sure how hard they push the turbo, but HPFPs run out at peak TQ, not peak HP, and Uni typically isn't very Boost/TQ happy so they're probably a long way from the limit.

*Spoken in old timey news reel voice*

Dearest Hoon,

I hope all is well at the front as you battle the internet trolls. You're in our thoughts and prayers. Keep safe and keep up the good fight.

Your MK7 family back home

Lmao

Hoon's busy right now.

Ya slightly I'd say

sounds ominous

All is well i've just had a ton going on since Friday morning. It hasn't been a restful weekend in the least and had an unplanned work trip on top of it so i think i've slept about 14 hours since Thursday night and driven 800+ miles in the last few days. Lots of stress this weekend, completely exhausted.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I'm not sure how hard they push the turbo, but HPFPs run out at peak TQ, not peak HP, and Uni typically isn't very Boost/TQ happy so they're probably a long way from the limit.

Lmao

All is well i've just had a ton going on since Friday morning. It hasn't been a restful weekend in the least and had an unplanned work trip on top of it so i think i've slept about 14 hours since Thursday night and driven 800+ miles in the last few days. Lots of stress this weekend, completely exhausted.
Plenty of sleep stop crying [emoji113]

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
One question...

Upgrade your HFPF.

So, forget the IS38 variant I have and lets look at actual IS38 data because i had one of those for awhile too.

One thing to note is that there is nothing you can reallly do with the tuning to get more out of the HPFP. You can command additional rail pressure, but it's really a moot point because the pump can't physically deliver it. The injection window stuff can give you added capacity on the injector side, but again it doesn't change the limitations with the stock HPFP in place because they are physical limits due to the max volume/pressure the pump can flow. This is a hardware problem, there is no software solution.

I think we can both agree that the fuel demand on E30 is greater than pump gas, so safe to say i can skip the pump gas data, but here's a quick one.

This is a pump gas tune but i happened to have a touch of Ethanol in the tank at the time (E16). As you can see, fuel pressure is perfect. This tune made 367whp SAE, about 374whp std correction on pump, stock HPFP. I have at least 20 more logs that show exactly the same thing for IS38 on pump.

https://datazap.me/u/hoon/log-1524000987?log=0&data=4-6-30&zoom=52-128

For E30 data on the stock HPFP, i have tons also. I just grabbed a few at random, it's all the same shit. Some have more boost/timing than others but on E30 they all show the same fuel pressure.

Note the 15 degrees of ignition timing on this 1st one...this clearly isn't pump gas.

This first tune made 381whp on the hottest day of the year (likely a 400whp tune), and ran 9.7 60-130. This was a 120+ trap tune.

https://datazap.me/u/hoon/e30-v15?log=2&data=4-6-30&zoom=12-80

https://datazap.me/u/hoon/e30-v15?log=1&data=4-6&zoom=46-122&mark=101-99

https://datazap.me/u/hoon/log-1531442111?log=0&data=4-6&zoom=50-162

E35 on stock pump...we did find the limit here when pushing the turbo harder in cooler air. This is prior to HPFP, but HPFP was soon after this point:

https://datazap.me/u/hoon/log-1531865912?log=0&data=4-6-30&zoom=24-92

You have to keep in mind Dan is used to working on Euro cars with stock MPI so they tend to lean towards the low pressure side. I can tell you from experience that the LPFP (Walbro 450 @ 100% duty cycle w/ Torqbyte) does nothing on a DI car with the stock HPFP in place. The HPFP bottlenecks the LPFP and you gain nothing.

Ed is correct on that one, that car needed an HPFP...but that was an L450 car, IS38s are not making 400whp on crappy US 93 octane (on normal dynos). The airflow isn't there, so you need octane to do it via timing.

I would agree that a hybrid like an EQT or L450 requires an HPFP for pump gas or a mild E blend.

It's also important to understand that Cobb is the only mainstream tuning solution that can actually utilize the HPFP to potential. I would not recommend an HPFP for anyone else, the fuel pressure control is not there with Maestro, UM, etc and the injection window control isn't available to fully utilize the added HPFP capacity.