GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods you're wasting money on...

mkygod

Ready to race!
I asked the 1/4 mile WR holder GTI guy why he's still running a stock exhaust. The only reply i got back was because he wanted the sleeper look.

I would think that a good aftermarket exhaust would've netted him at least a 0.01 sec improvement, no?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Now I changed a lot of that stuff in the engine bay. I think plastic in the engine bay is the ugliest thing. I change the intercooler piping with cts. A nice powder coated pipe. Changed the plastic turbo inlet pipe with the nice cts piece. The afe open intake that is nicely powder coated. Looks much better than plastic. I'll change my intake manifold when a nice one comes out. Even if it shows no improvement, I'll spend the money to make the car look the best to how I like it. I absolutely hate these engines (all makes) with plastic cover. But that is all there is going to be. No one makes a nice looking motor with a clean valve cover anymore.

Just to add, I changed the oil filter cover with an Ecs one. The dip stick with the usp piece. I hate the plastic that much.

I did most of that on my mk6 gti, I agree it looks 100% better. If that's the main goal on the mk7 you're golden, I'm just warning guys looking for hp gains that it's not really a noticeable improvement outside of looks

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I asked the 1/4 mile WR holder GTI guy why he's still running a stock exhaust. The only reply i got back was because he wanted the sleeper look.

I would think that a good aftermarket exhaust would've netted him at least a 0.01 sec improvement, no?

At that point outside temp, how much gas is in the car, and tire pressure could out weigh the difference. Let alone driver error or improvement.

Like I said it's mostly for looks and sound

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Thank you for this, I have been trying to tell some people about how the intake is unnessisary until you get a bigger turbo but keep getting kickback. Sound is the only benefit.

Turbo inlet pipes have also been not as useful since they move away from the rubber and to the plastic ones. Collapsing was a problem on my AEB 1.8t due to the soft rubber.

VW really did hit it out of the park with this car, it's performance ready with minimal changes.

Jersey UG MKV

Plastidipping Fool
I agree with all of it.

I only got an exhaust because after I tuned it, the car felt quick and very enjoyable, but had no balls from a sound perspective. I am happy now having some sound to go with the aggressiveness of the car.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Bwoah. Im kinda upset I’m even responding to this cause much like the point of this post it will do mostly nothing.

Im going to mildly contest a few.

TMD-you literally just explained the benefit. More turbo noise! Thats literally why i got one. Wasn't expecting some 10hp increase. It was 40 bucks. I got to replace something it was fun and it works.
Intake. Yes i think spending 400+ on an intake is silly. HOWEVER 10 hp is 10hp. Its a gain. I don't understand your point. Yes by itself an intake may not be useful but when combined with other support mods its fantastic. Seeing as I can get several different types for under 250. Pretty good value. My car performs better with my driving style with the intake on rather than off.

Cat-back=main benefit? Sound. So yea not a wasteful mod if that was your goal. I don’t think people are out here expecting to get 30hp off an exhaust. Thats not the point, the price usually reflects the quality and specific features of the designer.
DV+ has been helpful for me. I understand people have different experiences depending on quality and expectations. Mine does great, holds boost well and I much prefer the GFB to the stock.

None of these mods are needed to enjoy the car or have it move fast. The jb1 by itself is more useful for increasing performance then all 7 of these items combined and cost less. However IT,DP,CB combined is another 40-50 increase that can be had for under $500 if you want. The whole premise of this thread is so subjective its almost meta in its execution.

Honestly what are we even doing here?

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
A catless dp with tune/piggyback is biggest/best bang for the buck. Rev9 eBay $154 dp works great btw. Take the inlet off stock box with drop in. Next you have to do the dogbone insert $40. Enjoy. ?

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
A catless dp with tune/piggyback is biggest/best bang for the buck. Rev9 eBay $154 dp works great btw. Take the inlet off stock box with drop in. Next you have to do the dogbone insert $40. Enjoy. ?

Truth. removing the "snowguard" and that weather stipping in the back of the hood was a great first thing for me. Ebay DP's FTFW

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
one benefit of a catback is weight savings (but lbs for lb, not totally worth it for the price and of course a res/muffler delete would yield similar lbs savings for much less $$) but I agree overall. :)

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I would say dog bone. I bought it because it was so cheap and easy, but haven't installed it because the benefit seems to be marginal long term and can actually make it worse it seems if the new one fails, and will at a minimum bend.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Truth. removing the "snowguard" and that weather stipping in the back of the hood was a great first thing for me. Ebay DP's FTFW

Couldn't agree more, but that info falls into the thread that drove me to wirte this "best bang for your buck mods". Here I'm just giving a unbiased what's not worth it basic break down.

I have and plan to buy some of the things on my own list, it's just a good tool for new members to more wisely start modding in a cost effective way

JacobAllison

Ready to race!
I don't think I've seen anyone claim a full 10whp difference from any intake.

Heat soak, potentially, some improvement, but even the tuning shops agree the stock intake can flow you enough for 400+WHP.

So if you want it for looks or sound, do it! But if you think you're going to make massive HP gains off an intake, no. In that spirit (the spirit of @GTI Jake's thread here), it's a 'waste' of money.

Same thing with the TMD- it's not performance, so it's a waste in the sense this thread was written.