GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods to improve shifting?

ILuvLamp

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
So I’m only 5’6 and have to forward my seat to get good clutch engagement lol. How important is a clutch stop? Being short I think it can even help in that regard. And what are other clutch stop options that can fully return to stock when removing? Do you feel the clutch stop makes a huge upgrade in clutch feel?
I am 5’6” also, so I know the struggle. Lol A clutch stop makes a big difference. The different types have different feeling based on what they are made of. The ones that use rubber washers or spongy material as spacers have a softer feel, and the ones that thread into your retaining wall are more firm, and have a stiffer end point.

The one I sell is firm and fully adjustable, but you have to drill your retaining wall (this is the same for the ECS clutch stop). So it is not a good option if you’re not sure if you will like it. Here is a link if you want to take a look at it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/234009640041?hash=item367c0fbc69:g:jyMAAOSw-VBgnzmH

If you want something to try out a clutch stop and see if you like it before committing to a fully adjustable one that requires drilling, I recommend this one because it uses metal washers so it has a firmer feel than the ones with rubber washers, but it’s still a little softer than the one I sell or ECS’. It also requires no drilling and is easily reversible just by pulling it out and putting the old plug back in: https://www.ebay.com/itm/331207149596?hash=item4d1d7c081c:g:zvwAAOxyF0pTgS2v

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Hmm okay, now what would be the difference between the bushing k it you mentioned and these bushings here previously referred: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-torque-solution-parts/solid-shifter-cable-bushings/ts-scb-1006~tor/

I'm definitely going to go for better bushings, now I'm trying to figure out the differences between sets lol.
the torque solution bushings are delrin, it's a hard composite. They will work just as well as the ECS or 034 bushings.

I think it's been said, but the euro short shifter won't really give you the "bolt action rifle" notchiness. It has the same counterweight as the OEM arm, so will feel very similar, except slightly shorter. Pairing it with the solid bushings and the superpin will give you a good setup, but if you really want it to be notchy I'd recommend the Dieselgeek Sigma Six.

Bigsmallguy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk7
the torque solution bushings are delrin, it's a hard composite. They will work just as well as the ECS or 034 bushings.

I think it's been said, but the euro short shifter won't really give you the "bolt action rifle" notchiness. It has the same counterweight as the OEM arm, so will feel very similar, except slightly shorter. Pairing it with the solid bushings and the superpin will give you a good setup, but if you really want it to be notchy I'd recommend the Dieselgeek Sigma Six.
Nice! I don’t want it to be too drastic, in height as well. Rifle action sounds good but not really desiring it too much. Also I like the price of the euro shifter

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
<- Another vote for the OEM euro shifter. My car has that, with solid bushings and a Billetworks knob. The shifting action is much better than stock.

knob.jpg

It is solid steel, so gets cold as hell in the winter.
My Octopussy keeps my hand from getting frostbite in the morning:

octo.jpg

Bigsmallguy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk7
Assuming the shift cables are adjusted properly, everything is tight, and the fluid is reasonably fresh, I think these mods are a great way to start improving the stock shifter setup:
  • Solid shifter bushings ($35): replaces the rubber bushings and helps take some of the play out of the stock linkage. Most brands should work just fine, I went with ECS ones and they've held up well.
  • Euro short shifter ($85): shortens the side-to-side movement some without being too notchy. Prices have gone up on these but you could probably find a used one for less. If you're looking to keep things on the tame side, this is a good option versus most aftermarket options.
  • Shift knob ($50-200): this one is a personal preference but a lot of folks prefer finding an aftermarket one that suits them. Some good options to consider are from WC Lathe Werks, Raceseng, and BFI among others. The stock knob is around 100 grams so use that as a starting point to compare weights. Poke around the forum and you'll find lots of reviews and comments on various models.

Beyond that engine, transmission, and dog bone mounts made a pretty big improvement to the overall shifting experience for me. It's not a cheap upgrade and it does introduce some additional noise and vibration but really does help. Probable a step 2 upgrade but worth mentioning.

In my experience, the metal bracket didn't make a noticeable difference. Not that it's not a bad modification but not a first-round kinda thing I don't think. I haven't installed the Super Pin but I hear it's a fair bit of work getting the center console trim off to install. Again, I think there are other mods that are a better bang-for-the-buck.

I'm sure others will have different thoughts but in retrospect, these are the three I wish I had started with. Good luck!
Thanks for all the input thus far. For bushings, I notice the Ecs ones come in several different sizes, which one should I get? Also are you Ecs bushings better than others? I may just go with the first brand you mentioned since they’re slightly cheaper

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
Thanks for all the input thus far. For bushings, I notice the Ecs ones come in several different sizes, which one should I get? Also are you Ecs bushings better than others? I may just go with the first brand you mentioned since they’re slightly cheaper

I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between brands (or materials) of solid bushings. The important thing is that you're getting rid of the squishy rubber.

However, I can only speak to the ones I've tried. This is the ECS kit I got which should work for the stock or Euro front-to-back bracket and the stock plastic side-to-side bracket. These are the institutions if you want to get a sense of what's involved.

They've been on the car for almost five years with no issues. I don't remember much about it other than I think I had to file off a little nub on the plastic side-to-side bracket to get the new bushing to slide on since the tolerances are tighter.

Bigsmallguy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk7
I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between brands (or materials) of solid bushings. The important thing is that you're getting rid of the squishy rubber.

However, I can only speak to the ones I've tried. This is the ECS kit I got which should work for the stock or Euro front-to-back bracket and the stock plastic side-to-side bracket. These are the institutions if you want to get a sense of what's involved.

They've been on the car for almost five years with no issues. I don't remember much about it other than I think I had to file off a little nub on the plastic side-to-side bracket to get the new bushing to slide on since the tolerances are tighter.
Gotcha thanks! I’m ordering all my parts tonight to get it installed Thursday, stoked rn

smashedpotatoes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf 7 R
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-make-a-mk7-6mt-suck-less.349809/

This thread has links/write ups for the various diy’s noted above.

As a person who has done every mod possible in various phases to these shifter assemblies in our mk7s - I will confirm with what’s said above .

Solid bracket - is useless I did that “mod” alone to feel the before n after and there was zero results.

Superpin - great value cost wise and very noticeable results , but yes does take some labor time.

Short shifters - I’ve run the spulen short shifter and the sigma 6 with the factory shifter assembly and they were both alright - a little notchy but when aligned good it was fine. I now have a coolerworxs assemble in the car and with that setup I’ve run the sigma 6, factory front to back, and currently the euro front to back. With factory it’s buttery, sigma it’s like a bolt action rifle (that’s a little sticky,lol) the euro is a nice middle ground.

My recommendation in this order too, so you can really see what you like and what’s good enough for your preference:

1.clutch delay diy (I’ve run both the diy version and spulen block, no discernible difference between the 2, but either are big improvements over stock)
2. Clutch stop (I have the ecs one on the car now but used to have Home Depot diy version both are fine but the ecs is nice for easily dialing in the depth)
3.Dog bone hybrid powerflex bushing (will crisp up shifts all around)
4. Solid shifter bushing inserts
5. Quality shift knob (sport shifters or raceseng) *I’ve got a collection of 9 knobs I’ve ran on my car over the last years 😂😂
6. Euro short shifter

And then if you still feel you want a tighter setup then I would start doing the diesel geek little bushing and pin.

View attachment 255112

Vid of throws with the CW mixed with sigma

Dang, that's quite the collection! Is this your "reject" pile or do you swap them out? Those Sportshifter knobs are looking preeeeettyyy good 👀

Javeed55

Car(s)
2018 Golf GTD
Hi, I have a golf gtd 2018 and are interested in doing some slight performance mods. Will a dogbone be a good idea? Which brand and type/size will be best to get? Any other mods anyone recommends?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Best mod to improve shifting is learning how to proper hold and move the knob.