GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods for best handling? comfort not necessary

gtifisherman

Passed Driver's Ed
I have been given the luxury of a company car, and although it’s boring AF… I no longer need my Gti to be my daily driver. I would like to optimize the car for the best handling possible for auto cross, track days and terrorizing the back road twisties. I am not worried about comfort because the car is officially only for fun now. What suspension mods or adjustments do you guys recommend? I currently own a set of vwr lowering springs but currently I’m back on the stock springs. I was thinking about adding blistein or koni struts (for lowered cars) all around with my lowering springs, adding a stiffer rear sway bar, a camber kit and a performance alignment. Does this sound like it will get me what I want or should I go a different direction? I’m not opposed to tuning the suspension to the stock ride height either, I’m not sure what would be best for performance. Any track guys here want to fill me in on what you’ve done to get the car where you want it?

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
I would think what you listed will get you started for sure.
I'm no expert but maybe to get your research started-
From what I have read, camber is good for these cars. CSS knuckles, camber plates and/or lower control arms SuperPro or Whiteline.
Rear sway bars are also good, and maybe matching front
Deadset kit and be good for maintaining adjustments

Do you have DCC? If not, then your choice of lowering springs and adjustable coilovers can be very good.

Check this thread out. Mini7 has done a lot for track handling. Might be good info for you.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/2017-gti-pp-at-vir.351754/
or this one
https://golfmk6.com/forums/forums/index.php?threads/ronnie_bs-2013-gti-k04-track-day-build.308375/
or this
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...discussion-setup.366133/page-109#post-7681939

You can go crazy with the mods so I guess it depends on how in depth you want to get due to budget or other constraints.
I think camber and RSB are great places for easy improvement.
And as always, Tires, Tires and Tires. They will make the biggest improvement.
Sorry if any of this is overlap of info you already know

Last edited:

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I mean, if you want to really want to go full send:

1) Strip interior
2) 18x9 wheels with 255s all around
3) KW clubsport 3 ways
4) Wavetrack diff

That should be a good start.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
You could go after the suspension mods listed above but I would throw the word of caution out that not all mods are going to work in uniform with others. RSB should match or play nicely with your FSB. That one mod could be a fair amount of research. I swapped out my RSB for a 24mm H&R piece and while I like it I think I could have slightly overshot the optimum setup (running stock FSB). Car gets a little too twitchy on track at times... You could certainly make gains with a performance alignment, again I think there are reco's all over this forum for that. Wheels and tires are an easy upgrade, probably the most noticeable. Engine/trans mounts like BFI's are good. Wish SuperPro still made theirs as I think those were the gold standard.

Careful with matching your existing springs to new dampers. Its the right move but again, there is a lot that could go wrong.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-for-buying-a-street-based-suspension.358504/
Hammersticks has a sticky thread at the top of this section, highly suggest you read it. If nothing else, you'll get a flavor for what it takes to match dampers and springs. Depending on your preference, coilovers could be a waste of money. You pay for the adjustability, if you don't intend to make adjustments for different tracks/environments then could be better to just get a good damper (Bilstein B8 / Koni Sports) and spring combo and be done. LCA's can make a difference but I would think they are near the end of the upgrades as others have more bang for the buck imo. Lastly, you could look at upgrading bushings, SuperPro has a fairly good representation of the bushings to swap out on their website. Again, I think those are towards the bottom of upgrades but I could wrong as I have no experience with them.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
driver > tires > alignment > shocks > springs > bars
was the advice given to me by a track person.

I whole-heartedly agree on the first three though I would put springs ahead of shocks for autox. Priorities can be driven by where you want to class.

People jump to bigger bars for various reasons: rear bar is noticeable, easy to install, less daily harshness compared to springs and permitted even in stock class.

Shocks are basically unrestricted in stock classes so folks will spend $$$$ on them in order to gain an advantage.

Alignment in stock class is very restricted for camber but some change to toe can help.

Once you abandon stock classing, there's more flexibility with spring rate and camber where one can optimize the two for grip and balance.

For weight, if you don't care about classing, three things strike me as meaningful: rear seat removal, lighter battery, and roll down the windows (lower cg).

edit: I just reread your post about 'fun only'. Just trade it for an ND Miata Club. That's what I would do but I need my wagon for everyday stuff..Seriously.

Last edited:

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
edit: I just reread your post about 'fun only'. Just trade it for an ND Miata Club. That's what I would do but I need my wagon for everyday stuff..Seriously.

Funny, I was just browsing Flyin Miata site and daydreaming about building one out. Hell, tried looking for anything FM for sale and they just are not out there. Everyone that has one, keeps them.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

Funny, I was just browsing Flyin Miata site and daydreaming about building one out. Hell, tried looking for anything FM for sale and they just are not out there. Everyone that has one, keeps them.
I want one badly 🤤

gtifisherman

Passed Driver's Ed
So you can add me to the list for one of these, lol. This thought crossed my mind, but I own the Gti out right and I don’t want to end up spending extra money, plus mods money on top of that. My wife always tells me they are hairdresser cars but I don’t even care!

gtifisherman

Passed Driver's Ed
I mean, if you want to really want to go full send:

1) Strip interior
2) 18x9 wheels with 255s all around
3) KW clubsport 3 ways
4) Wavetrack diff

That should be a good start.
I forgot about wave track, this is something I’m definitely going to install one. I think I’m going to put this near the top of my list. I have an S model so no VAQ system.