GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 R

007IOU

Car(s)
Golf R 7.5 DSG
My salesman told me today that orders will open in Oct for late November or December deliveries. First one will have all options with a lower optioned selection arriving later. Additionally, he said there is talk of 2 special color options along with the blue, white, and black. Supposedly I'm in the first slot. We'll see......

Junkrigger

Car(s)
BMW 325i
I imagine you would have mentioned anything you heard about what options will be optional. I’m dreaming of a no sunroof (PNW rain all year) manual, special colors now too. I’m gonna have to wait till we get more news on this before buying anything now. I guess VW knows anyone wanting an awd manual non Subaru has no other options so they can string us along all they like, feel like a kid waiting for Christmas and it’s only March.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
What I am waiting for is the sticker price.
Straight Pipes has a video on it and it looks incredible BUT said close to 70,000.00 US Dollars all optioned out and I was like what?
I could get an M3 for that!
Did your dealer tell you a ballpark price?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 91

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I emailed my dealer two weeks ago and they still maintain they have no idea of shipping or delivery dates. I wonder if yours has insider info or if something has changed in the past two weeks

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
So I wouldn't get too worked up over that price.
First of all there is no way. I will eat my hat if I'm wrong but no way no how when you can go buy a brand new RS3 for $60k.
If you go to VW Europe website, a GTI there STARTS at 33.510 eur. That equals just shy of $40,000 usd.
I know it is not quite apples to apples but that is US Autobahn money right there. The R on the VW Europe website starts at 39.270, a little over $46,000 usd.
I configured an R on the Europe website and selected the most expensive options I could (aside from accessories like rubber mats and bike racks) and got it up to Just under $64,000 usd.
Still a crap ton, but I think this is how pricing has always gone for these things.
I could easily see US spec R's getting up to low $50k's if we get option like the Akrapovic, but then we can also knock out around $1k if you opt for a M/T.
I'll tell you what though if the R I would spec ends up being over $50k, I may be looking at other options at that point...

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
M3's are more in the $90K range no?
Google says they start at 69k. Pretty sure you can easily run it up close to 80k for a new one if you check all the boxes.

Fortunately, they are ugly as fuck now so you don't have to worry about if you'd choose one if the price were close.

Last edited:

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Google says they start at 69k. Pretty sure you can easily run it up close to 80k for a new one if you check all the boxes.

Fortunately, they are ugly as fuck now so you don't have to worry about if you'd choose one if the price were close.
Ha, I agree, my 2016 M4 is gorgeous compared to the new M3/M4 with those toilet seat grills. But disregarding the looks, I can't justify a golf over 50,000. If that was the case I'd just go for it and get a Audi , Mercedes or BMW or something.
You can't go by current Euro R prices. The scuttlebutt is it will be a pretty significant price jump for the new R and of course limited supply in US means dealer gouging.
That's why I was just wondering if dealer gave a ballpark range.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I really doubt it will be over $50,000 US - we will just have a vanilla optioned R, without a lot of the extra expensive bits that the UK can choose from.
Remember, US and especially Canada, we pay less for cars compared to the rest of the world. Mostly because we don't tax like everyone else.

I think the Golf R will be 2019 Golf R + $3-5k

The new RS3 rumours will make it way too hot and tempting for VW to compete against price wise - plus the car looks alone, compared to the Golf R...going to be a long wait till September when it is officially released. More power out of the 2.5T (looks like it's getting the same treatment as the R), and the Haldex system will be upgraded to the new rear diff in the MK8 R. Plus it will need to be priced to compete with the A45 / M2.
https://www.motor1.com/news/496334/2022-audi-rs3-spy-images/

Still stuck with the camouflage, but the RS3 LMS is a pretty good indicator when you remove the spoiler and diffusers. The front dams are functional, the rear bumper is fixed, according to spy reports, and most importantly, it will have the 'RS' wheel arches that gave the B7 RS4 the presence it deserved. I already have a Golf R, need an upgrade, so quite biased.

Last edited: