GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK8 R Rear End Leak

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Speeking of the Mk8:
By integrating the previous buttons onto the Infotainment Tablet, that saves quite a few pennies in mass production; to include the cost of Aluminum in the chassis.
The subtle front changes actually do quite a bit of justice to the look. The One-Piece seats are trying to mimic the Recaros though, and not sure as to how much side bolstering is there.
I can hear the Golf future buyers now saying, "Just wait 'till I learn how to turn off the economy lighting in the HUD with my scanner...." LOL
I would predict that the annoyances with the Mk8 will be strictly "Electronic" based and that will be annoying.
Otherwise, I think it is a step forward whether the consensus agrees with it or not....

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Speeking of the Mk8:
By integrating the previous buttons onto the Infotainment Tablet, that saves quite a few pennies in mass production; to include the cost of Aluminum in the chassis.
The subtle front changes actually do quite a bit of justice to the look. The One-Piece seats are trying to mimic the Recaros though, and not sure as to how much side bolstering is there.
I can hear the Golf future buyers now saying, "Just wait 'till I learn how to turn off the economy lighting in the HUD with my scanner...." LOL
I would predict that the annoyances with the Mk8 will be strictly "Electronic" based and that will be annoying.
Otherwise, I think it is a step forward whether the consensus agrees with it or not....

Whether the front end changes are subtle or not, IMO VW have managed to make what was a good looking car into something quite ugly. If the mk8 Golf was a child, it has the looks that only a mother could love - just my opinion of course.

I think those one piece front seats are also likely to be a cost cutting measure as I suspect it’s cheaper to make a one piece seat than it is to make a seat with a separate adjustable headrest. I dare say with the restricted forward view that these one piece seats provide for rear seat passengers, that restricted forward view could induce motion sickness for some travelling in the rear.

I do think the mk8 Golf has been a victim of having been developed on a limited budget at the expense of the ID3 (and ID4), and IMO it shows. On a positive note - the latest GTI (and R when it’s officially revealed by VW) is still likely to be a great drivers car and I dare say it’ll sell well, but maybe not to the traditional core customer base if the views of many of the members on this forum and other forums are representative of those traditional customers. It’ll be interesting to see what financial incentives VW need to offer potential buyers to entice them to buy.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
To be fair, in the new BMW M135i (F40 series) they use a one piece design too, and when I test drove one recently found them to be super comfortable and very supportive (especially with the extending squab and electronically controlled side bolsters). I don't think the ones in the MK8 looks anything as nice and sophisticated though ?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
To be fair, in the new BMW M135i (F40 series) they use a one piece design too, and when I test drove one recently found them to be super comfortable and very supportive (especially with the extending squab and electronically controlled side bolsters). I don't think the ones in the MK8 looks anything as nice and sophisticated though ?

Those are beautiful seats.

zepharus1

Will there be a mk9 Golf though?

With many countries banning the sale of new fossil fuelled and hybrid engined cars at some point during the next two decades (Norway I think is as soon as 2025), that move is forcing VW and other vehicle manufacturers to increase their focus on building ‘clean’ electric vehicles. With this in mind, I wouldn’t be surprised if the mk8 (and mid life refresh mk8.5) becomes the final iteration of the Golf as VW ramps up investment in developing new electric cars, and begin to phase out the production of petrol, diesel and hybrid engined cars.

Would VW ever make an all electric Golf GTI? IMO probably not, if VW want us to associate their electric vehicles with the new ‘ID’ sub brand. There may be a VW ID3 GTI and ID3 R though 🤔.

i love the "clean" Electric. I wonder where this electric fuel comes from? oh that's right....

they only TRUE next gen is hydrogen fuel cells... which seemed to have gone dormant..

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
Woe to those whose rear end leaks

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
My next step after my mk7.5 gti was looking to be the mk8 R but with these designs I think I'll be jumping straight up to an Audi when time comes. I just can't get behind these changes for both exterior and interior. The piano black touch screen type buttons on the steering wheel is what really killed it interior wise.

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
My next step after my mk7.5 gti was looking to be the mk8 R but with these designs I think I'll be jumping straight up to an Audi when time comes.
Although Audi did great on the exterior, they really fucked up the dash with the ridiculous tacked on vents from a Lambo. Straight up looks like an Autozone part bin job for a Civic.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
For my next car I'm thinking:

Mk8 Golf R
Genesis G70 3.3T
Acura TLX Type-S

Thoughts?

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
i love the "clean" Electric. I wonder where this electric fuel comes from? oh that's right....

they only TRUE next gen is hydrogen fuel cells... which seemed to have gone dormant..
And how do they generate hydrogen, by using electricity and it is expensive fuel because of it. Lots of complexity when you calculate costs and benefits. Interesting analysis on electric trucks vs hydrogen for different end use. Both need electricity and nobody wants to address where that comes from. Hydrogen generation using wasted renewable power is making lemons from lemonade.