GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
The worst part are the digital steering wheel controls. Never touch volume knob. Hardly adjust hvac.

But not being able to feel where the steering wheel controls are without pushing them all...that's a deal breaker

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The worst part are the digital steering wheel controls. Never touch volume knob. Hardly adjust hvac.

But not being able to feel where the steering wheel controls are without pushing them all...that's a deal breaker
And those steering wheel buttons are haptic which will make inadvertent changes rapidly. The buttons we're used to wouldn't make any big change if you accidentally touched one when steering around a corner or whatever. I'm not saying what I want to very well. Maybe someone will understand and elaborate better for me. What I'm trying to say is being haptic it's like accidentally touching something on your smartphone and causing a change you didn't want to. Help!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
And those steering wheel buttons are haptic which will make inadvertent changes rapidly. The buttons we're used to wouldn't make any big change if you accidentally touched one when steering around a corner or whatever. I'm not saying what I want to very well. Maybe someone will understand and elaborate better for me. What I'm trying to say is being haptic it's like accidentally touching something on your smartphone and causing a change you didn't want to. Help!
There’s been a few mentions on other forums of owners unintentionally switching on the heated steering wheel while turning while cornering.

It’s interesting that UK the lower trim level non performance Golf models retained conventional buttons on the steering wheel, rather than getting haptic touch pads.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Unless it’s actively on fire, I don’t think there’s a car around that you could get a $4k discount on. MSRP is about as good as it gets in this market.
I'm imagining a listing on craigslist titled "GTI literally on fire. 4k off MSRP. Somebody claim before it explodes"

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I guess if you can swap in a non haptic steering wheel, I'll be g2g.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Luddite. I put a deposit on an R today, remind me of this option in a few months.
So about this, I also ordered a Cobb AP and EQT Stage 1 for my car. If I don't install that, can I just resell it to anyone with an 18 GTI? Apparently I suck at getting my ducks in a row...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So about this, I also ordered a Cobb AP and EQT Stage 1 for my car. If I don't install that, can I just resell it to anyone with an 18 GTI? Apparently I suck at getting my ducks in a row...
If you married it to your car just unmarry it and you can sell it since I think a stage 1 tune is not locked to a specific car like a custom tune is. At worst the buyer could use the AP and get his own staged tunes and he can use the Cobb tunes also regardless of how lousy they are.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
If you married it to your car just unmarry it and you can sell it since I think a stage 1 tune is not locked to a specific car like a custom tune is. At worst the buyer could use the AP and get his own staged tunes and he can use the Cobb tunes also regardless of how lousy they are.
Thanks, it's still in the mail. I flip flopped from tuning this car to just buying a Mk8 in a matter of hours. Made both decisions and spent money on both. I am not a smart man.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thanks, it's still in the mail. I flip flopped from tuning this car to just buying a Mk8 in a matter of hours. Made both decisions and spent money on both. I am not a smart man.
Been there done that too. Shit happens.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What are you going to do instead?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
What are you going to do instead?
Sell the car as stock, it's never been tuned, just has some basic bolt on mods that I'll pull off once I know the Mk8 R delivery date. But I guess you're saying I could just keep the AP tuner and wait for Mk8 R tunes to be released, right? Then it's just paying for a new tune since the AP wouldn't have even been paired to the old car.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sell the car as stock, it's never been tuned, just has some basic bolt on mods that I'll pull off once I know the Mk8 R delivery date. But I guess you're saying I could just keep the AP tuner and wait for Mk8 R tunes to be released, right? Then it's just paying for a new tune since the AP wouldn't have even been paired to the old car.
The AP probably wouldn't work with the MK8 anyway and it could be a long time before Cobb gets it working. So you're making a smart decision.