GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Early iDrive iterations were bad. Later versions were among the best. BMW now uses touch screens I think.
[Ducking]Because touch screens are better.[/ducking]

But they've still got the knob. I think processing power has made it acceptable. But there's still nothing more frustrating that using CarPlay or Andriod Auto with a stupid click wheel.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I kinda like the iDrive. My GF has a Mini Cooper S with the knob in the center console. I think it's easier to use than a touch screen when the car is moving.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I kinda like the iDrive. My GF has a Mini Cooper S with the knob in the center console. I think it's easier to use than a touch screen when the car is moving.
Maybe I'm not patient enough, I just always find that I've got to spend a few seconds spinning it around to just figure out where it's focused and then a few more seconds actually clicking on what I wanted. But some of it is a function of older, smaller touch/non-touch screens too. I'd hate to have to use the smaller, further away screen in our Audi as a touch screen, so for it's setup, I do prefer the wheel. I realize you adapt, I rarely drive the wife's car so it's always confusing to me. I also spend lots of time trying to figure out how to kill the ASS and get the suspension and throttle out of Buick mode.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Maybe I'm not patient enough, I just always find that I've got to spend a few seconds spinning it around to just figure out where it's focused and then a few more seconds actually clicking on what I wanted. But some of it is a function of older, smaller touch/non-touch screens too. I'd hate to have to use the smaller, further away screen in our Audi as a touch screen, so for it's setup, I do prefer the wheel. I realize you adapt, I rarely drive the wife's car so it's always confusing to me. I also spend lots of time trying to figure out how to kill the ASS and get the suspension and throttle out of Buick mode.

Same here with me when trying to get used to it. I don't drive the car much. The car comes out of the garage maybe once a month since she started working from home at the beginning of the lockdown. I find that going through the menu is pretty well laid out with the dial. You rotate the dial to scroll...and then you can move the dial left and right to go back and forth within the menu. You push down on the dial to confirm. The software in the Mini seems to work a bit smoother than the one in my GTI.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
not exactly (.02)

I would support shutting off many phone functions above a certain speed (gps) yes passengers would be inconvenienced but the life/$ savings would be significant and more than make up for it. I know people would make a work around but even 50% compliance would be huge. I've seen studies claiming cell phones cause more accidents than DUI.
Exactly and cell phones are the reason State Farm told me that they raised rates across the board in Arizona.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
100% agree.

I usually wait until a car is at least three years into its lifecycle - sometimes much longer. I’m not prepared to be an unpaid Beta tester for VW 😠.

I waited 5 years and VW still screwed up the 2019's. 😭

Last edited:

Splashalot

I think the Germans are more stubborn than the Japanese manufacturers. Honda added some buttons back after their first attempt to go buttonless. MMI has been criticized from day one and VAG keeps adding more and more menus to Audis and fewer buttons. I don't see them changing course. They might rearrange the "buttons" on the wheel to keep you from accidentally hitting them, like reviewers have complained about, but I don't see them adding buttons. You will adapt to their new system and you will like it. Or else they'll beat you with a bratwurst.
Yep, German arrogance will ensure there's no return to buttons and dials. No way will they go back - that would mean losing face. Which means I'll be in some other marque next time around. You can shove your mk8 UI where the Sun don't shine, VW.

Last edited:

Black&WhiteGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'16 GTI '92 Miata
Before some of us in the US get too excited, it typically takes 2 years to get them on our shores.
Hold up I found this a couple days ago :)

Attachments

• 116EB759-2D3E-47F0-8056-A2CD6BEA5FE8.jpeg
    116EB759-2D3E-47F0-8056-A2CD6BEA5FE8.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 119
  • DF7B8F16-85CD-4C4E-85E0-71F5DEC34E00.jpeg
    DF7B8F16-85CD-4C4E-85E0-71F5DEC34E00.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 116

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Hold up I found this a couple days ago :)
Definitely an early build or potentially a Euro model here for testing, but it looks good. The R bumper seems to make the sloping hood look better than the GTI for some reason.

How did it look in person? I'm always surprised how some cars photograph poorly, but look good in person and vice versa (first gen panamera for example I hated in photos, but really liked in person).

Black&WhiteGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'16 GTI '92 Miata
Definitely an early build or potentially a Euro model here for testing, but it looks good. The R bumper seems to make the sloping hood look better than the GTI for some reason.

How did it look in person? I'm always surprised how some cars photograph poorly, but look good in person and vice versa (first gen panamera for example I hated in photos, but really liked in person).
It was a testing vehicle. But I was really surprised with how decent it looked I was definitely nervous when the new front end was released. It seems that we do indeed get the matrix headlights but it seems we get different taillights (I’m assuming without the dynamic turn signal, bummer.) It didn’t seem to be super different in person but it did look a little better than I thought. The interior is fantastic. In pictures the interior, to me, looks dull. I loved it when I saw it though.
I am still worried about the capacitive touch steering wheel buttons and the no volume knob… it will be a lot of tapping.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
It looks good because of the Prets

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
It looks good because of the Prets
True, but if I get a MK8, my Neuspeed wheels are going on it. The really good news about seeing prets on it is that means they haven't done anything silly like messing with the hub, bolt circle or offset too much, so mk7 wheel options should all work on the mk8. Anyone know anything official about the wheel specs? Better to confirm than assume.