GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
\We've already seen this movie - Ford, Honda and others have tried this - and they've all relented to some degree after customer outcry. If you watch the existing (i.e. ROW) Mk8 reviews, almost universally the reviewers pan the touch controls and they pull no punches. Not only is it a bad concept in general, but it's downright dangerous the way VW has done such a poor implementation. It will get fixed - at least to some degree. As for steering wheel controls making this an excusable disaster, VW managed to screw them up too, with capacitive controls that are also getting very poor reviews.

Comparing using a touch interface in a moving, bouncing car to a Blackberry or modern smartphones' use of touch is a completely invalid comparison. IMHO.
What's ridiculous, is that we can't and shouldn't use our phones while driving - yet manufacturers can mount the equivalent on our dashboards meant to handle the most commonly used controls such as audio and HVAC, but that's ok.
In the over regulated world that is the automotive industry, I'm surprised that this one isn't addressed as the safety issue that it is.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
Im 99% sure they will bring back physical buttons for the refresh.

The amount saved per car with touch buttons vs physical buttons cant be worth all the negative press.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What's ridiculous, is that we can't and shouldn't use our phones while driving - yet manufacturers can mount the equivalent on our dashboards meant to handle the most commonly used controls such as audio and HVAC, but that's ok.
In the over regulated world that is the automotive industry, I'm surprised that this one isn't addressed as the safety issue that it is.
I agree. The NHTSA should be dealing with that aspect of safety also.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I agree. The NHTSA should be dealing with that aspect of safety also.
Idiots using their phones in a moving car isn't the problem. Not educating our drivers is the problem. Legislate all you want, we'll still have awful drivers. Trying to legislate this stuff is only going to result in the equivalent of the 80's 55mph speedometers, a stupid "fix" that achieves f'all.

OLD MEN RULE

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Did anyone drive 55 MPH? Not me and knock wood still don't on the highway. (Illinois still has the 55 limit on 2 lane roads, even the nice curvy ones.)
As for the GTI MK8, have to see it in the metal. But for now holding on to the MK7.5. And plan on adding another MK7 or 7.5 when the crazy prices for used GTIs
get back to normal, IF that ever happens.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Did anyone drive 55 MPH? Not me and knock wood still don't on the highway. (Illinois still has the 55 limit on 2 lane roads, even the nice curvy ones.)
As for the GTI MK8, have to see it in the metal. But for now holding on to the MK7.5. And plan on adding another MK7 or 7.5 when the crazy prices for used GTIs
get back to normal, IF that ever happens.
My mistake, it was 85mph speedos. Which led to some funnies like these:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Idiots using their phones in a moving car isn't the problem. Not educating our drivers is the problem. Legislate all you want, we'll still have awful drivers. Trying to legislate this stuff is only going to result in the equivalent of the 80's 55mph speedometers, a stupid "fix" that achieves f'all.
not exactly (.02)

I would support shutting off many phone functions above a certain speed (gps) yes passengers would be inconvenienced but the life/$ savings would be significant and more than make up for it. I know people would make a work around but even 50% compliance would be huge. I've seen studies claiming cell phones cause more accidents than DUI.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
It isn't?
I'm all for educating the idiots, we do far too little of it.
So many people don't know the basics, because they are barely taught and barely enforced/reinforced.
Still, depending on the situation - looking at one's phone while driving, instead of what's going on outside the windshield and surrounding glass is not the best idea.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
not exactly (.02)

I would support shutting off many phone functions above a certain speed (gps) yes passengers would be inconvenienced but the life/$ savings would be significant and more than make up for it. I know people would make a work around but even 50% compliance would be huge. I've seen studies claiming cell phones cause more accidents than DUI.
People are freaking out about a vaccine, you shut their phones off and they'll storm the capital. Oh, wait...

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
not exactly (.02)

There's actually some really smart solutions out there for this. One I've heard of in development is an obd port immobilizer that requires a phone app and a physical connection to your phone. It basically requires you to disable your phone to enable your car and vice versa. Sure you could get around it with a second dummy phone, but it would be effective for most people.

Edit: I wish a car manufacturer would integrate this function to enable AA/Car play while disabling direct phone functions.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
There's actually some really smart solutions out there for this. One I've heard of in development is an obd port immobilizer that requires a phone app and a physical connection to your phone. It basically requires you to disable your phone to enable your car and vice versa. Sure you could get around it with a second dummy phone, but it would be effective for most people.

Edit: I wish a car manufacturer would integrate this function to enable AA/Car play while disabling direct phone functions.
In the early days of AA, you could not access your phone at all if AA was connected. They removed that semi recently

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
not exactly (.02)

They almost certainly cause more accidents overall.

Just imagine how many more people think nothing of using the phone actively while driving. If there were that many day drunks on the road the Police would start entrance ramp DUI checks.