GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Man that thing has grown on me. I wish VW USA would get their ish in one sock and get the details out about our spec. I don't want a first year, but will almost certainly buy a second year one. Plus that would allow me to sell my car with a year remaining on the warranty.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Seems that by the time the next gen GTI & R get here they will be on their second year of builds.

All those pops & bangs will surely get you unwanted attention. I wonder if the noisemaker can be shut off.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Seems that by the time the next gen GTI & R get here they will be on their second year of builds.

All those pops & bangs will surely get you unwanted attention. I wonder if the noisemaker can be shut off.

The mk7 R does the same thing with the akrapovic exhaust because of the multi-injection port they get in the UK. In the US we get a more basic direct injection and they don't pop like that. It'll probably be the same with the mk8.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The mk7 R does the same thing with the akrapovic exhaust because of the multi-injection port they get in the UK. In the US we get a more basic direct injection and they don't pop like that. It'll probably be the same with the mk8.
They killed the MPI on the Mk7.5 for ROW cars too.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
MPI was discontinued in Europe too in late 2018 due to WLTP regs.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
MPI was discontinued in Europe too in late 2018 due to WLTP regs.

Does the car in the video have MPI then or are they just doing pops like aftermarket tuners but with a stock tune? It's kinda depressing seeing stuff like this come out that way from the factory. Pops sound like shit.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Does the car in the video have MPI then or are they just doing pops like aftermarket tuners but with a stock tune? It's kinda depressing seeing stuff like this come out that way from the factory. Pops sound like shit.
Ze Germans seem to like them. The G80 M3 is chock full of them now in stock form. It's not really a factor of port injection though.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Seriously, it's trying way too hard.

I wouldn't mind some quiet burbles, you know just some muffled pops that don't have as much snap to them and aren't much louder than the normal exhaust sound. These gun fire pops are ridiculous though. This is from someone that immediately decided against a dsg after hearing dsg farts though...but I did have a strat tune with pops on my mk6 for a couple years, so I've been there. Now I'm tired of it. It's a fad that needs to die out. Nobody looks cool with a pop tune.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
My MINI did burbles & I liked it very much. Seems many people did not, the second gen MINI made no burbles.

That R makes sounds like a shotgun blast. Maybe it's that fancy exhaust bolted on there.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, I'd assume they're just showcasing the Akra exhaust. I'd imagine the regular exhaust sounds just about the same as the Mk7/7.5.

I did love the engine sounds of the R50/53.