GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Well conveniently it's already out in Europe and we won't be getting it until nearly it's third year.

yea, people thought the same thing with the mk7 and they fixed things in 2016. You didn't really want a 2015 mk7.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
yea, people thought the same thing with the mk7 and they fixed things in 2016. You didn't really want a 2015 mk7.
Well yeah, but that was a different situation with VW USA borking things up combined with Pueblo production start up. This time it's just VW USA that can cause havoc.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Well yeah, but that was a different situation with VW USA borking things up combined with Pueblo production start up. This time it's just VW USA that can cause havoc.

well from reviews I've seen there are things that need to be fixed, software specifically plus all the digital stuff with hvac etc. We would know if it would be fixed in the US model release. I don't see any of these changes/fixes happening before the US release and we would know if they did

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
MK8 GTI TCR https://www.carthrottle.com/post/th...s-297bhp-and-a-bespoke-chassis-but-no-manual/

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Fake/enlarged exhaust tips?
Maybe not, as the same car with those large exhaust tips is used in VW’s official UK Press release for the mk8 GTI Clubsport.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
You can see the actual exhaust behind the tip, it's just a dumb, non round tip, like most of Porsche/Audi/Bugatti/Lamborghini all seem to use. Round uber alles!

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Why? How often are you touching that part of the wheel other than to purposely use one of the buttons?
I take it you’re not a usability engineer or UX designer.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I wonder how much more mod-friendly this thing is going to be.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i

YES.

So those spy shots at the 'ring that everyone thought was the R were actually this. I like it a lot.

I mean, it sucks that we won't get it of course, but I'm assuming part-swaps will be as accessible (maybe not easy) as they are for the current clubsport/American GTI. Front bumper is way better than the one on the GTI, no funky fog lights, and those little fins split it up nicely.

Back is even better. Wing ties the back together, makes it look less like an egg but still sleek. Reminds me of the difference between the spoiler on and off a GLA 45. Without it, it just looks wrong. Oval tips are not everyone's cup of tea, but I like the look a lot.

++There's a dedicated "Nurburgring" driving mode.

I want that.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
YES.

So those spy shots at the 'ring that everyone thought was the R were actually this. I like it a lot.

Not necessarily. The white, mildly camouflaged mk8 at the Nurburgring had the trademark blue R brake calipers, quad exhaust tips and horizontal slats in the lower front grille.

Also, the front lower grille for the higher performance GTI was always thought to be similar to the R’s with the two body coloured ‘tusks’ in the lower outer sections of the grille. There’s a screen shot from VW TV somewhere on the forum that shows performance figures of the various performance models in the mk8 Golf range, and both the R and higher performance GTI images have the same design of lower grille.

So don’t be surprised when VW reveal the official launch shots of the mk8 R if the ‘face’ looks very similar to the GTI Clubsport, albeit probably with horizontal slats in the lower grille rather than the GTI’s honeycomb design.

Edit; here’s the screen shot referred to above showing the front lower grille design of the R and the Clubsport (previously named TCR) models;

B5A74A4D-9BA4-43E6-BE59-084050D97450.jpeg

Last edited: