GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Apparently there will not be a TCR version due to VW's decision to leave the racing series as part of its plans to end all combustion-engined motorsport, there will be a club sport model by all accounts though but that would not traditionally be at first launch, I really don’t like those wheels, let’s hope there’s better options available! The wheels on the GTE at launch were far nicer than these.
The wheels are probably VW’s evolution of the standard 18” Parker / Milton Keynes alloys fitted to the mk7.5 GTI, so I’d expect those wheels to be the standard wheels for the mk8 GTI (both the higher and lower power output models). The black (lightly disguised) GTI undergoing testing in the pictures at the link below is wearing the same design of wheels, albeit the wheels on the test car aren’t diamond cut - but then some markets had a powder coated, rather than diamond cut version of the Austin alloys as the standard offering on the mk7 GTI.

No doubt there will be other wheels available for the mk8 GTI as extra cost options. Whether or not they’ll be better than the standard wheels.................

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volks...ti-mk8-to-blast-in-with-up-to-280bhp-pictures

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
So much angst over the exterior styling of the Mk8. We see this with EVERY generation, then it comes out, and.. people generally like the new model. A lot. The homely Mk5 might be the one exception.

What is REALLY disturbing is the interior styling and what they've done with the tech. Virtually no conventional knobs/buttons, just a bunch of touch controls & sliders. REALLY bad decision, one that other automakers have tried, been derided for, then switched back to traditional controls after brutal consumer revolt. Apparently VW had this crap in development before the fit hit the shan and didn't bother to go back and revise it. This stuff will be almost universally hated - again - just watch.
Agree totally with this.

IMO an interior devoid of conventional buttons, switches or knobs to control/adjust basic functions such as lights and heating/ventilation and replace them with screens and touch pads is downright dangerous - especially if trying to use these controls while driving.

Touch pads and screens are probably cheaper for VW to use than conventional controls, as there aren’t any moving parts. Technophiles may love the clean, buttonless look , but it’s a step too far for me.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Disappointed there's no 48V hybridization system. That'll probably come with the mid cycle refresh.rolongi

codypka

Go Kart Champion
That white car looks like a oval shaped exhaust tips, similar look to the Veloster N. But the other spy shots of the black car has circular tips like the MK7

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I’ve already decided my Mk7 GTi replacement will be the new BMW M135i, even though the GTi will obviously look better than the test mule when it’s fully unveiled I’ve already tested the M135i and it’s one hell of a car, VW will have to have something special up their sleave to stop me buying my first ever BMW?.

Is BMW sending the m135i to the USA? It's a 4cyl fwd right? If so I'm not sure the point of that over the gti.

The m140i on the other hand...

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Is BMW sending the m135i to the USA? It's a 4cyl fwd right? If so I'm not sure the point of that over the gti.

The m140i on the other hand...
Don’t think it’s going on sale in the states, it’s a 4cyl 306bhp AWD beast, the build quality is outstanding and the interior is on another level, I can’t explain how good it is!
Although I do love the Golf GTi and hope the Mk8 wins me over when I see/drive it, but as it stands I can’t see me not buying the BMW!
BA9690C7-6403-413C-A85C-DA1D6F63C64A.jpeg

7DF7CEA3-0D3A-4821-A4D9-1EA3ADC5C999.jpeg

Last edited:

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I’ve already decided my Mk7 GTi replacement will be the new BMW M135i, even though the GTi will obviously look better than the test mule when it’s fully unveiled I’ve already tested the M135i and it’s one hell of a car, VW will have to have something special up their sleave to stop me buying my first ever BMW?.

Not even close to a GTI in terms of price point, but I do love me a turbo straight six. 4 bangers will never sound as nice. Europe always gets nice variants but I never grew fond of the hatch 1 series, that looks like a midget X1.

Also, why do you keep writing GTI with a lowercase i?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Not even close to a GTI in terms of price point, but I do love me a turbo straight six. 4 bangers will never sound as nice. Europe always gets nice variants but I never grew fond of the hatch 1 series, that looks like a midget X1.

Also, why do you keep writing GTI with a lowercase i?
Because I want to! No but really It auto corrects it to that every time I type it in lower case?‍♂️, I change it sometimes if I see it or can be bothered, but does it matter? No!

With the new 1 series there is no longer a 6cyl available,
also with bmw deposit contributions (always generous), and the higher price of the GTi in Europe they are reasonably close in terms of cost.

Last edited: