GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
So much angst over the exterior styling of the Mk8. We see this with EVERY generation, then it comes out, and.. people generally like the new model. A lot. The homely Mk5 might be the one exception.

What is REALLY disturbing is the interior styling and what they've done with the tech. Virtually no conventional knobs/buttons, just a bunch of touch controls & sliders. REALLY bad decision, one that other automakers have tried, been derided for, then switched back to traditional controls after brutal consumer revolt. Apparently VW had this crap in development before the fit hit the shan and didn't bother to go back and revise it. This stuff will be almost universally hated - again - just watch.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
Agreed...I can't imagine how all those touch interfaces would work in really cold temperatures. And it probably won't work when you wear gloves. I guess I'm keeping my MK7 for a long time.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI

scasey

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I don't mind the styling, but it seems like a pretty tame refresh, not really all that interesting, which is fine, we won't even get it here for a while and I won't be in the market for one anyway.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The only things that would get me into a mk8 is if it's really 200 lbs lighter and they really do bring a 287 hp version to the US.

Other than that, I'm loving my mk7.5.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
There was a spy shot of the new Tiguan I think and it has the same headlights pretty much

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Probably the MK8 GTI TCR. Looks good with the exception of the wheels.
Apparently there will not be a TCR version due to VW's decision to leave the racing series as part of its plans to end all combustion-engined motorsport, there will be a club sport model by all accounts though but that would not traditionally be at first launch, I really don’t like those wheels, let’s hope there’s better options available! The wheels on the GTE at launch were far nicer than these.

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Do you have a source on that? Last i saw that was a rumor from before the mk8 was even released
The Puebla plant stopped production of the golf completely in 2019 and was then set up to focus solely on the Tiguan.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
So much angst over the exterior styling of the Mk8. We see this with EVERY generation, then it comes out, and.. people generally like the new model. A lot. The homely Mk5 might be the one exception.

What is REALLY disturbing is the interior styling and what they've done with the tech. Virtually no conventional knobs/buttons, just a bunch of touch controls & sliders. REALLY bad decision, one that other automakers have tried, been derided for, then switched back to traditional controls after brutal consumer revolt. Apparently VW had this crap in development before the fit hit the shan and didn't bother to go back and revise it. This stuff will be almost universally hated - again - just watch.
Oh, I've got far more angst over the interior.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^ ok now that ass end doesn't look half bad.. fingers crossed about the front