GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Before some of us in the US get too excited, it typically takes 2 years to get them on our shores.
Although they will now all be made at the Wolfsburg plant so might well be available sooner?!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Ugly car looks like it has downs.
I’ve already decided my Mk7 GTi replacement will be the new BMW M135i, even though the GTi will obviously look better than the test mule when it’s fully unveiled I’ve already tested the M135i and it’s one hell of a car, VW will have to have something special up their sleave to stop me buying my first ever BMW?.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Thats how they typically do the changeover. Until Mexico plant gets changed over the US doesn’t get them. Assuming it’s going to work like the Mk5 to MK6 to MK7 changeovers went.
All mk8 models for all regions will be made in Germany as far as I’m aware.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
All mk8 models for all regions will be made in Germany as far as I’m aware.

For all regions it’s offered. They did that previous years too. Again may be different this time, I don’t have any inside information but this is how it’s worked for the last few generations.

My point here is, if you are in the US don’t count on getting a MK8 when ROW does. We may be pleasantly surprised but history doesn’t show it releasing for a few years here.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
For all regions it’s offered. They did that previous years too. Again may be different this time, I don’t have any inside information but this is how it’s worked for the last few generations.

My point here is, if you are in the US don’t count on getting a MK8 when ROW does. We may be pleasantly surprised but history doesn’t show it releasing for a few years here.
I’m not sure If I’m understanding you correctly or not? so excuse me if I repeat what you’re saying! The US will not be getting the base golf at all, only the GTi and R will be available there, and when they are, BOTH the GTi and R will supposedly be made in Germany NOT Mexico, because of this I’d be surprised if there is much of a delay in them arriving stateside when compared to Europe, Wolfsburg is already churning out the Mk8 (base models and GTE), and when the GTI production begins I can’t see why there would be a huge delay in them being sent to the US other than the obvious differences to spec and shipping time, I can’t see it taking as long as previous generations if where they will be produced is correct.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Historically we don’t get any next gen platforms until two years after they release in Europe, any model. They keep the Mexico plant on the old platform and eventually flip it over. The euro plants switch over first and don’t ship to US until Mexico plant is online. In the past this has been the Golf R and electrics. Even though we do get some modes from Europe they historically have not shipped those to us till Mexico plant is shipping other new models. The R also sometimes has a delayed release compared to Golf and GTI.

I could see the electric models releasing earlier to try and keep up with market. Since their range is pitiful right now compared to most other offerings.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Historically we don’t get any next gen platforms until two years after they release in Europe, any model. They keep the Mexico plant on the old platform and eventually flip it over. The euro plants switch over first and don’t ship to US until Mexico plant is online. In the past this has been the Golf R and electrics. Even though we do get some modes from Europe they historically have not shipped those to us till Mexico plant is shipping other new models. The R also sometimes has a delayed release compared to Golf and GTI.

I could see the electric models releasing earlier to try and keep up with market. Since their range is pitiful right now compared to most other offerings.

there has been an official statement from vw Canada that they will get the mk8 full line starting July 2021. There hasn’t been any info for US released yet

I think the mk8 looks decent, side view about the same, rear end looks better, front end needs help.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
At least the GTI doesn't have the underbite of the Golf.
That helps a lot.
Maybe they'll do something with that monobrow so that it doesn't look stoned.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
There will not be an eGolf at all and the iD3 will not be sold in the states, NO GOLFS or GTi’s AT ALL WILL BE MADE IN MEXICO! NONE!