GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI passenger impressions

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
It's not differentiated enough from the MK7 to interest me.
Exactly why I bought a new mk7.5 on Friday.

Trading all the buttons and that interior... Design... for a more tuned rear end and a new look outside.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Mk7 interior is outdated in my opinion. They were going the right direction with overhauling the interior but made a few mistakes along the way. The digital dash looks too cheap is not designed well and having touch hvac controls are the main mistakes. I had way more expectations from the interior since that is usually a strong point If vw prior to seeing the spy pics.

rear end of car looks better than mk7, side view it’s pretty much the same. Front end needs to be fixed a bit. Refresh is going to be the one to get of mk8

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I feel like the sharp rear bumper and squared out tailights are ruining the classic Golf booty/profile... and the front is horrid honestly, between the big mouth and the headlights.....

The interior.... not a drivers car anymore..... just like Audi...

1596464165903.png
1596464097967.png

1596464633328.png
1596464713570.png

Imo, the dashboards look more like a 1950s big american sedan's now......

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
I say never say never.
But that front bumper and headlamps (n) .
Also every car company is going with screens, this "feature" is going to
cost a lot of $$$, to repair when the warranty goes away.
Liking my MK7.5 for now and a long time to come.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I actually like most of the interior. I think they were headed in the right direction with the 2019/2020 GLI Autobahn.

Dashboard-and-black-front-seats-in-2019-Volkswagen-Jetta-GLI_o.jpg

If that had the 9.2" infotainment screen, I think it'd be perfect.

I wonder if the people disliking the digital dash have actually seen and used it in person? It's incredible. I can agree that climate controls should stay physical buttons, but I think it's something I could get used to.

The exterior though. Eeesh. Not a fan.

Supercrumpet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
I tend to not like digital controls and dials in cars, much prefer analogue and physical stuff in this application, but I haven't used VW's digital dash so I won't make any major assumptions. With that being said, I actually really like that interior, it's a nice progression from the MK7. I especially like the seats, but I wonder how comfortable they are. It all has a very modern look about it, but it's not too extreme.

The exterior matches the interior styling well, and I don't mind the look of it, just something to get used to. I think the grille/bumper are fine, but the headlights are my only complaint. I think it's the flat and horizontal top edge of the lights that gives it that "stoned" look. Pretty odd looking, but there are much worse looking German cars coming out right now.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Rear bumper in profile is...unappealing.

The tablet on the dash looks fine in interior shots. The exterior shots where you can see it just stupidly sitting out there high on the dash are brutal.

Wheels are hideous also, but that's like, just a VW thing now.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My wife's 2020 Outback has 11" screen with digital hvac controls. They aren't bad, I got used to them quickly, but like my mk7 controls better.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I think if they refresh the front headlights (probably not in time for the NA release) I may end up really liking it.