GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK8 Golf R chassis & brakes part numbers

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I see a lot of conflicting stopping distance numbers from 60-0 for the R. When the 2015 R first came out I think it was Motorweek that got an average of only 90 feet with DSG. I don't think they mentioned if the DSG was in sport mode, which I believe makes a difference because the Haldex is engaged on deceleration. Should that not improve braking performance by not relying only on the ABS?

Last edited:

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
Decided to pass on being the guinea pig with the front hubs, wondering if they do effectively the same thing as this https://www.eurosportacc.com/products/18700k, just increase angle between hub face and strut.

That's with slightly longer control arms to facilitate from below.

The hubs adjust camber from a different location, much like how the Clubsport ones functioned. You can still opt to run camber plates with the hubs.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
Just from the parts list, want to ask,

For control arms and bushings, I think that has become a standard mod from the RS3 parts bin
Sway bars, again nothing much different then we are doing already with the aftermarket options
Subframe, I thought I heard was typically the GTI Clubsports that was popular, but the MK8 R is similar? better?

Brakes for the unsprung weight more than anything? For me I think something like that would be great once the discs need replacing, might as well

Other then that I think the turbo will be interesting vs a hybrid option - seems to be some magic in there that puts it ahead of the MK7's

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I see a lot of conflicting stopping distance numbers from 60-0 for the R. When the 2015 R first came out I think it was Motorweek that got an average of only 90 feet with DSG. I don't think they mentioned if the DSG was in sport mode, which I believe makes a difference because the Haldex is engaged on deceleration. Should that not improve braking performance by not relying only on the ABS?

Tires and road surface play a huge role in braking as well. Given the different sizes and tires available across the mk7s run, I'd expect some variations.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Mk7 css knuckles? Didn't shopdap say the mk8 gti comes with mk7 css knuckles stock? I am not sure if the mk8r/8yrs3 and mk8 clubsport use better knuckles.
They might add the same amount of camber, but the part numbers are different. And the prices on the mk7 css knuckles are stupid now.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Don't bother with the MK8 R brakes...two piston on the same side sliding fist cast metal/iron calipers...like the old MK4 R32...

What you want is alloy calipers with two pistons each side much more even clamping forces applied to the discs.....so either the Audi TT-S or the Porsche Macan rears...

VAG way back 20yrs ago were fitting alloy 4 pot Brembos to the Seat Ibiza Cupras .......these were always allowed to be more "sporty" than the Golf GTI.....

All down to marketing & the "hierarchy" within the VAG brands..