GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7R vs 997 GT3RS

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
The R is so capable, it’s hard to believe. I watched several 911s fly by as I waited for some friends to hit a mountain road the other day. Finally, my buddies show up just as a couple GT3s fly by, so it was a little catch up. I’ll be honest that I was disappointed by the lack of corner speed by either car. I ended up passing them both at about 9:00 in (I don’t think they were WOT). The video would be much different with better drivers in the 911s. Please note that I don’t consider myself a fast or talented driver, though I do think I know the limits of my car a bit better than these guys did.

I’d be glad to get some feedback on the video if anyone is willing to share. Too boring? Should I try a better camera angle? Constructive criticism is welcome. Not trying to post stuff that no one wants to see, lol.

Last edited:

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
I've gone on lots of fun runs like this with my buddies and their Porsches. Last time we went out, it was about a 1,200 mile round trip. Several of them have Cayman S', and one has a 911 Carrera 4s (along with a GT350 Mustang, an STI, and my cousin's '19 Golf R). When I was IS38 and just on lowering springs, I could keep up with them on the downhill just fine, but struggled uphill. I'm in a GTI, so I would have trouble with traction on the uphill. They were quicker than me in the corners, but I'd reel them in on the straights. Only things I can say is to always try and keep it between the mustard and mayo and it's easier to follow than it is to lead, especially on roads that you don't go on everyday. I'm now Vortex XL and have upgraded my brakes, sway bars, end links, and motor/trans mounts. We are scheduled for another outing in June, so we'll see how it goes.

Here's a video of it from last year: 5 Volkswagens and a German Car

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Most of the people buying those cars aren't skilled drivers and are afraid of wrecking them. With a seasoned driver you'd have never caught them
Yeah I think you’re correct on both points. The second gt3 driver (in silver) held up my friends in their FC RX7s, which is just plain sad. Coincidentally, there was a black 997 gt3 that came up while I was waiting and he seemed like he had pace, but I just had to wait and listen to him rip up the mtn. The buddy that had the r8 sold it and will be getting into a gt3 (hopefully soon), so I’m sure that he’ll be able to push his a bit more than these guys and I can get some good footage. Thanks for commenting, @jay745.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I've gone on lots of fun runs like this with my buddies and their Porsches. Last time we went out, it was about a 1,200 mile round trip. Several of them have Cayman S', and one has a 911 Carrera 4s (along with a GT350 Mustang, an STI, and my cousin's '19 Golf R). When I was IS38 and just on lowering springs, I could keep up with them on the downhill just fine, but struggled uphill. I'm in a GTI, so I would have trouble with traction on the uphill. They were quicker than me in the corners, but I'd reel them in on the straights. Only things I can say is to always try and keep it between the mustard and mayo and it's easier to follow than it is to lead, especially on roads that you don't go on everyday. I'm now Vortex XL and have upgraded my brakes, sway bars, end links, and motor/trans mounts. We are scheduled for another outing in June, so we'll see how it goes.

Here's a video of it from last year: 5 Volkswagens and a German Car
Geeze, 1200 miles! Altitude has a lot to do with my Rs relative speed compared with NA engines up above 9k’. I would have loved to lead those 911s but they just dropped after just a few turns anytime they were behind me. I didn’t want to follow too closely as there’s tons of sand and I don’t have ppf, and more importantly, I didn’t want to put too much pressure on them and force a mistake. I did try to show a wheel a couple times and apologize about the DY crossing, but honestly, I’m a very minor offender if you look at all the traffic up on that or any other tight mountain pass.

I watched the video and that seems like a very closely matched group of cars. Awesome you guys got out and had a good tour.

Thanks for the feedback and please let me know if you guys ever tour in my neck of the woods. I have some fun route suggestions.

Last edited:

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Not only are the 911 drivers terrible, they are going over the double solid yellows like they are on a mission. They probably think they are hot shit, until OP passes them driving correctly in a car 1/10th the value....

I ride street bikes as well, so its cringe to see this.....

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Not only are the 911 drivers terrible, they are going over the double solid yellows like they are on a mission. They probably think they are hot shit, until OP passes them driving correctly in a car 1/10th the value....

I ride street bikes as well, so its cringe to see this.....
Yeah it made me sad and frustrated that those guys didn’t know their cars, and that they didn’t understand that yielding to faster traffic is a good thing. I think there are a definitely a few supercar owners that don’t focus on certain aspects of driving and I’ve seen quite a few people try to use the whole road. Sometimes I’ll take the middle of the road to avoid rock fall, water, potential wildlife just sitting there near the side of the road, and I always give a ton of room for cyclists/ pedestrians. I live on a pretty popular route for bicyclists and fast cars, and it‘s frustrating to see cars trying to drive hard during popular cycling hours. Time and a place. I could never expect to have fun drives during normal hours here in the summer, but some people don’t think about that.

fwiw, it was about 42°- 48° with moist and sandy roads so the motorcycles generally weren’t out yet. I believe I saw some coming up on my way down, but yeah that’s not a fun road for a bike until it warms up and dries out a bit. Still, crossing the DY is always a concern for the moto minded. One thing I’ll say that I wish everyone here in CO knew, is that you’re required to give pedestrians and cyclists 3 feet of room at minimum. Absolutely 100% legal to cross the double yellow to give them room.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
It's not fun to try to drive fast on a road you're sharing with pedestrians and bicycles. It's just too dangerous.

The driving roads around here all have a time limit. You can absolutely shred them until about an hour after sun up and then again after sundown. In between there's just too many people out there to risk trying to heat it up on the roads.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
It's not fun to try to drive fast on a road you're sharing with pedestrians and bicycles. It's just too dangerous.

The driving roads around here all have a time limit. You can absolutely shred them until about an hour after sun up and then again after sundown. In between there's just too many people out there to risk trying to heat it up on the roads.
You get it! My favorite drives have been Dawn Patrol, just shredding away with you and your buddies in amazing cars, not having to worry about pedestrians or bicyclists. Anything after the sun’s out for a bit is a gamble. It doesn’t seem like a lot of drivers here understand dawn/ dusk driving being better, though a bit more risky for wildlife.

A couple shots from a memorable early morning drive back in the Covid days.

1685328648416.jpeg

1685328792428.jpeg