GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 vs Mk8

joerg83

Car(s)
mk7 gti perf
TLDR: MK8 has better overall traction in stock form due to a new controller linking dcc, steering, electronic diff, break, dsg and xds sensors+settings together. Acceleration wise nothing has changed. Reaction times of xds have been halved. A lot of traction is generated through faster dcc dampener responses. Volkswagen themselves say the new mk8 clubsport is 4 seconds faster on their own handling track compared to mk7 tcr or mk7 clubsport s. I really like Mishas take on the topic. The guy drives pretty much everything around the Nürburgring and usually is pretty neutral.
I had a automatic mk8 gti without dcc as a service car replacement and did not like the stock suspension that much. The KW V3 on my mk7 gti copes much better with pretty much everything. Throttle repsonse was quite improved though. So I guess if you go the traditional route of a manual mk8 without dcc; there wont be noticeable performance differences. If you'll get a mk8 with dcc or an even mk8R with the torgue vectoring module from performance package the differences should be quite noticeable though.
Tbh we dont even know if there will be another golf gti/r generation in the future. Sales numbers here in austria or even germany seem to be pretty bad due to people prefering EVs or bigger vehicles. Basically manufacturerer are being forced into lower emission vehicles so they can keep selling their big chunky SUVs. So no matter what golf it is, appreciate it as much as you can.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Funny some of you guys bringing up Mitsubishi. They literally just opened a new dealer in Jersey in a pretty crowded area. I drive by it all the time and still trying to see if they have a car on display that catches my attention. Not that I'd ever buy it, just that I might care enough to find out what it's called, lol.

As far as Mk7 and 8. Mostly all in the looks which is objective. As far as HP increase, I always laugh because a lot of us think of tuning, so whatever HP they show increased in stock form is negligible once the tune comes into play.

Personally, I'm not feeling the looks yet on the 8 but I also said that about the 7 and here I am... It might grow on me and I've yet to see one in person but currently I am not feeling the front bumper which is mostly all grill, and the rear as of yet.... Interior does look a bit more minimalistic which again, it objective as to whether you prefer that look or not. I'm with the crowd that prefers dials over digital. It makes it easier when you can feel for something to control it and don't need to take your eyes off the road. Of course digital is the way of the future so eventually we'll all have to deal with it. I guess, enjoy what we have while we can before it's all gone.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Did everyone see this....

https://www.reddit.com/r/Volkswagen/comments/n8kzib and https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/n9gyes
1620746871464.png

1620746915291.png

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3

I'm a little biased, but I prefer the look of the late mk7 to the mk7, but even still the early mk7 I feel looks better than the mk8. I'm not a fan of the higher waistline, nor do I like the font selected for "GTI" on the rear -- the mk8's taillights look good for a stock taillight, but I also agree with criticism of the mk8's front bumper being grille-heavy -- and don't get me started on the wheels.

I think that much like the mk4, the mk7/mk7.5 are going to wind up being one of those "timeless" designs that holds up well, where the mk8 has yet to impress me.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Is the Mk8 GTI on sale yet in Europe? Any word on when they'll be available in North America?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
If history is anything to go by, about three months before VW USA updates their website to give you any idea of pricing or options.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I’ll admit - if they still sold Alltrack’s in America I’d be enticed by a 7-speed MK8 Alltrack. This looks way better than the GTI to me.

Man. Revisiting this, I really wish the MK8 Alltrack was coming to America. Some dude on Vortex just offered me 32K for my Alltrack, and I would be so happy to take that money and upgrade to a DQ381 AT with those new turbos.

Alas, VWoA sucks at everything. Their failure to market the Alltrack is the reason it didn’t sell. It’s an excellent competitor to Subaru’s offerings, and with that 2018/19 warranty they could have stolen some market share.

Maybe I’ll move to Europe, maybe it’s maybelline.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
What would you rather purchase - 2020 Mk7 or 2021 Mk 8... Mk8 will supposedly be priced a bit higher than the Mk7 and have around 242 hp. I dont think an increase from 228 hp to 242 will make much of a difference in performance. The difference in the exterior design is negligible. But personally, I think the dashboard of the Mk7 is WAY nicer than the Mk8. The digital dash of the Mk8 just does not look right in my opinion. Quite frankly, the digital gauges are unappealing and the strange angles of the minimalist dashboard quite off-putting. Are there any other improvements to the Mk8 that would make it a worthwhile purchase over the Mk7... fuel efficiency or handling perhaps+

86.gif

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
If an Alltrack had been available for '21, I would likely have taken one, but maybe not if it still had the DQ250 and smaller engine.

Yeah the real bummer is the Alltrack was announced by VWoA in 2014 that it would be released as a diesel model with the GTD’s power plant, 184HP/280TQ. Diesel AWD Alltrack with DSG makes my pants go pop

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Yeah the real bummer is the Alltrack was announced by VWoA in 2014 that it would be released as a diesel model with the GTD’s power plant, 184HP/280TQ. Diesel AWD Alltrack with DSG makes my pants go pop
I've had enough turbo diesel pickups to know I wouldn't buy a car with one, particularly a modern emissions compliant one.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
ETV's MotorWeek reviewed the MK8 R this week with a track test. They love the car, though not a word on the significance of the change to haptic controls.