GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 vs FK8 CTR

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
When I was stage 1, one of my worst losses was to an obnoxiously modded CTR. I’m talking Phoenix Yellow, 20 decals, somehow-even-bigger-aftermarket-wing obnoxious. I say worst not because it was the first time I’d gotten dusted, but because it was the first time I got completely outclassed by a car I thought I could hang with for longer, and a fellow hot hatch at that. That was actually the pivotal point when I decided I needed some more go-fast.

Well tonight I was cruising around the streets of Mexico and I saw him again, my yellow whale. I knew it was him because of his vanity plates. I pulled up next to him and he was very down to line up. 50 roll, he honked it out and we were off…

So we all agree the APR DTR on stock DP is a bit laggy, right? Well, this CTR was worse… by A LOT. He got the jump, but his turbo took like a half second to finally kick. I dropped it from 5k and by redline I had 1/2 a car on him. By 4th I had 2 cars on him.

We lined up 4 times total, he got the jump most runs:

50 roll - MK7 by 2 cars
40 roll - I shifted early by accident, CTR by 2 cars
50 roll (short pull) - MK7 by 1 car
60 roll (long pull) - MK7 by a bus length

The last run was the nail in the coffin. Prior to that I had been letting off before we caught up to any other cars - but this run was wide open. Smoked him. He even did the obligatory ricer flyby as I took my exit.

Thank you for listening to my redemption story. Sweetest kill yet.

Prior to the CTR, I did some pulls with a BMW X6 M for funsies up to an ungodly speed. I wasn’t gaining, but I wasn’t lagging behind too bad either, and boy was he trying to shake me. Pretty fast for an SUV. Wide-ass tires kept spitting rocks all up on my windshield too…

Last edited:

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
Good kill on the Yellow Whale. I've always wanted to run one. They are never down.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Now that you mention it.. that is always the case. Lol I see SI's all day and of course they are down. 🙄

I had a good run with a older supercharged SI. That was before is38 so it would be a easy win now.

The new ones around here have all been chill, they know from experience I’m guessing.

I even had a S2000 with the plate “GAP SZN” turn down a pull with my car because he didn’t want to lose. The GTI actually gets a lot of respect from the current era of Honda enthusiasts.

Now on the other hand a buddy at work has a supercharged K swapped EG hatch, and it would absolutely stomp my car haha. He runs 10s & recently AWD swapped it.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Still no dashcam footage? Good kill though. Some weeks ago I was in traffic with a red one. No stickers but you can tell it was FBO. Driver was pretty civil, giving it enough gas to get going, but due to NYC's 25mph speed limits, he didn't do much. It didn't stop 2 Accords from trying to "hang" with him though.

On Thursday, I had a beautiful black Evo 8/9 MR (I always get those two generations mixed up) behind me at a light. No stickers, blacked-out all around. It sounded perfect -- deep, but not too loud to where it'd be unbearable. I'm constantly looking across forums trying to see how this DTR kit with fueling (since I have an R) would do against other cars. So far, you're the only reliable source Carbon lol.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
I had a good run with a older supercharged SI. That was before is38 so it would be a easy win now.

The new ones around here have all been chill, they know from experience I’m guessing.

I even had a S2000 with the plate “GAP SZN” turn down a pull with my car because he didn’t want to lose. The GTI actually gets a lot of respect from the current era of Honda enthusiasts.

Now on the other hand a buddy at work has a supercharged K swapped EG hatch, and it would absolutely stomp my car haha. He runs 10s & recently AWD swapped it.
One of my good friends here has a supercharged FA5. Feels like it has absolutely no power until 4th at 9k rpms, but gives me all the Fast and Furious nostalgia from my high school days. 😅

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I raced one on a cool late autumn night last year and it was close while I spun 2nd but once I hit third it was over. He proceeded with the typical ricer fly by bouncing off the rev limiter after I splowed down. Was fun none the less.

Last edited:

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Ok, so believe it or not I just beat another FK8 CTR, this one was silver and I don’t know if it was modded. At first I thought it was regular Civic Sport Touring with a wing until I did a pull a 2 lanes over (not really paying attention to him) and he jumped out at me and flew past when I let off.

40 roll - we lined up, I honked but gave him the kick, I still pulled 3 cars by ~100 and I let off. No idea what the story is with the lag on those cars, I heard him downshift and revving pretty high when we took off, but he went nowhere for like a full second (which is why I waited for him). We did another pull, similar result - I’m guessing he was stock, maybe just exhaust.

Honorable mention was a Q50 Red Sport. 50 roll - I pulled a length or 2 surprisingly quickly, and added a bus to that above 100. He may have let off when I started to walk him. Again, probably stock - I feel like they can get pretty quick when modded.

It’s raining for the next week, no more hoodrat stories from me for a bit. Promise a dash cam is in the works.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
This newly posted video just popped up on my YT feed, thought it was funny considering how I walked the last 2 CTRs much worse than this:

Edit: Full disclosure I did catch a Mustang and CTR starting a 50-roll a few weeks ago, I chased but they got the jump and both were gaining slowly - so I’m def not kidding myself that quicker ones aren’t out there. Still trying to find the yellow whale on social media somewhere to see what mods he had btw, but no luck so far.

Last edited:

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Randomly found a pic of the car online and a list of mods:
Invidia r400 exhaust, PRL Catless downpipe, Takeda Intake, PRL intercooler, Fortune Auto Coilovers, APR GT-250 WING

IMG_2393.jpeg

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
I've seen some modded Type Rs but haven't run one since going DTR + fueling. Envious they're able to get away with a catless downpipe while I'm stuck on the stock one. Video a while ago of a Jetta GLI with only the DTR and no other supporting mods against a supposed FBO Type R: https://www.facebook.com/share/v/tPMzyNmcZPLFNXc4/?mibextid=oFDknk