GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Vs civic Hatch

Sandbagger1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I have a 2017 Sport with 72k miles. I've been following VW’s recommended maintenance schedule. Still driving on the original brakes. Also, the car has been very reliable even with APR Stage 2. New cars today, my choice would be the GTI, Veloster N, and then the Civic.

blueshirts0819

Ready to race!
Car(s)
I have a 2015 MK7 GTI with about 55k trouble free miles except for the leaky sunroof which in hindsight probably can diy quick fix but decided to trade it in for a 2018 civic hatchback sport touring for mpg and also reliability. The first month ownership the civic battery died while sat in the driveway after 4 days away and after 2 1/2 years with 43k miles the civic killed 3 batteries and dealership can't explained the reason beside BAD batteries. Oh yeah, forgot the biggest one of all, the AC condenser is leaking and only to found out at 42k when my kids were baking in the backseat while driving to my parents. I'm out of warranty and Honda said my vin# was not on the extended warranty list since they claimed only certain Civic are affected from 2015-18 and yet mine is a 2018 with AC freon leaks. So now I'm in the process of getting rid of this POS and for a MK7.5 GTI.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I been committed to Honda my entire life. I have a 07 civIc at 225k, still pushing great. However, I think it’s time to me upgrade. I Always took good care of it mechanically so I never really had any problems. I was planning on getting the 2017 hatchback touring, but then I saw the GTI. I heard mixed reviews about VW’s service and reliability, however I’m seriously interested in getting a 2017 GTI SE. Does anyone have any problems with their GTI or can anyone tell me why GTI are better than the civic hatchback? How is the maintenance and expenses? I plan on taking good care of the car and keeping it for a long time. I really want the GTI, but I feel like I need more information from actual owners. Any information would be appreciate.
I traded in my 2009 Civic Si to get a 2017 GTI Sport. At the time, nothing in the Civic range was the least bit interesting to me, not even an Si with a Hondata tune (because with only 1.5L, that was basically all I'd ever get out of it). So far, I've had it a week shy of 3 years, driven just under 23,000 miles. In that time, I've been to dealership for warranty repairs twice; the oil pressure sensor failed at 1,200 miles, problem has not re-occurred. About a year and 8,000 miles later, I started hearing a banging noise over bumps, coming from the rear. I thought it was a faulty stabilizer link, and so did the tech, but after replacing it, the noise was still there. To eliminate the issue and save me repeated trips back, he then replaced the right rear damper and upper strut mount, since it could have been either of them. I've had no issues since then, save a squeaking noise from the left rear window (which I never open) that can probably be fixed with a shot of silicone lubricant.

Maintenance costs are all down to your driving habits; since I don't even drive 10k/yr, I do an annual oil service in my garage using an oil extractor, at around $60 for the oil and filter. If you're used to doing your own maintenance, there shouldn't be any items on this car which will cause you any difficulty. I'm due for a brake fluid change at the 3 year mark, but that can also be done at home with a pressure bleeder so it's a one-person task. You may find replacing the windscreen wipers costs more, since the the GTI's wipers do not have replaceable inserts like Hondas do.

In summary, aside from the 2 unscheduled trips for warranty work, the car has been completely problem-free. Some might argue that's down to low mileage and spending most of its time parked in my garage, but when I do drive, it's as the car was meant to be driven. It's possible that I would have had 1 or 2 fewer service visits if I'd gotten a Civic, but these days, Honda reliability isn't what it used to be. Before I purchased the GTI, I did express some hesitance to the salesperson (who is a friend of mine), and she said that while everything I'd heard about VW was true of the older ones, they've made huge strides in reliability in the last few years, and based on my experience, I agree with that statement.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Oh yeah, forgot the biggest one of all, the AC condenser is leaking and only to found out at 42k when my kids were baking in the backseat while driving to my parents. I'm out of warranty and Honda said my vin# was not on the extended warranty list since they claimed only certain Civic are affected from 2015-18 and yet mine is a 2018 with AC freon leaks.
I want to say that my dad (a Honda service manager) told me they were having problems with those, and Honda was doing goodwill repairs on the ones that weren't included in the service bulletin. Might be worth your time to call Honda consumer affairs and see if they'll help.

blueshirts0819

Ready to race!
Car(s)
I want to say that my dad (a Honda service manager) told me they were having problems with those, and Honda was doing goodwill repairs on the ones that weren't included in the service bulletin. Might be worth your time to call Honda consumer affairs and see if they'll help.
Yes, thank you for the information and if I complained and bitched enough to Honda America and make a big fuss I might of gotten the ac replacement at goodwill. But I have done some research on the replacement and not only you have to wait 3 months for parts due backlog but there are owners when replaced under warranty period the ac started leaking again after a year. The problem might be the new r1234yf which is very corrosive and Honda ac parts might not withstanding this new freon. I might be wrong but your dad should be well aware about them. Also my unknown battery issues where the car killed 3 batteries baffled the crap out of me.