GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 TSI Golf Bi-Xenon Light Flickers

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Also, I spoke to technician at VW and he said that metal unit on the back of the D3S bulb is the ballast or also known as Ignitor/Starter. I showed him a picture of a ballast on Google and said what’s this then? And he said this is the headlight control module and if this failed, you would get an error code. Is this true?
This is an even bigger reason for not paying VW any diagnostic fees. Monkeys who don't know jack shit.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Also, I spoke to technician at VW and he said that metal unit on the back of the D3S bulb is the ballast or also known as Ignitor/Starter. I showed him a picture of a ballast on Google and said what’s this then? And he said this is the headlight control module and if this failed, you would get an error code. Is this true?
Hey mate,
Let me show you some images so you know whats what.
ballast:
1616862937859.jpeg

igniter:
1616863004967.jpeg

If the problem is the bulb, then it wouldn’t flicker. Usually bulbs that fail will just turn purple over time and eventually go out. The fact that it is flickering means that there is power going to the bulb and the bulb is firing up so i really dont think its the bulb.
Could it be the igniter or the ballast (dealer can refer to this as computer module but they dont know any other term for it). Maybe the igniter isnt making good connection, but since this is an almost new car and stock factory hids i dont think its the igniter. I still would try the ballasts. Im not familiar with stock hid headlights but maybe its possible u can disconnect ballasts without taking headlight out and swap ballasts and see if problem follows the ballast.

Car ownership can be a blast! Cheers!

GolfMatchMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GOLF MATCH (64)
*UPDATE*

After ordering the D3S Bi-xenon bulbs and an anxious wait over bank holiday weekend, finally took it into my local garage. They were quite pissed off that the bumper had to come off to change a bulb. So performed a bulb swap test and then a ballast swap test, turned out to just be a bulb issue. Took the bulb out and it looked quite knackered. Quite

If anyone is curious, I bought the Phillips WhiteVision Gen2 D3S bulbs which are OE spec for Audi and Volkswagen, £130.00 for the pair from PowerBulbs. Dealership quoted £200.00. I chose to go for the OE spec as I’ve read horror stories about headlight/ballast/other front end electrical issues and Dealerships not honouring warranty by blaming aftermarket bulbs to be the problem - so I rang my dealer and asked for the OE bulbs they use and was told it was these. Plus I’m not really bothered or obsessing with headlight styling. Lights are lights to me.

Surprisingly, the ones which were already in there weren’t even Phillips, they were Osrams, which isn’t OE spec🤣 Oh these dealerships don’t know what they are talking about.

But I’m happy it was just the bulbs and not a ballast issue. Thanks everyone for the help.

Attachments

• 300C13AB-B2D9-4AD5-9387-AA076F16F091.jpeg
    300C13AB-B2D9-4AD5-9387-AA076F16F091.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 84

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
*UPDATE*

After ordering the D3S Bi-xenon bulbs and an anxious wait over bank holiday weekend, finally took it into my local garage. They were quite pissed off that the bumper had to come off to change a bulb. So performed a bulb swap test and then a ballast swap test, turned out to just be a bulb issue. Took the bulb out and it looked quite knackered. Quite

If anyone is curious, I bought the Phillips WhiteVision Gen2 D3S bulbs which are OE spec for Audi and Volkswagen, £130.00 for the pair from PowerBulbs. Dealership quoted £200.00. I chose to go for the OE spec as I’ve read horror stories about headlight/ballast/other front end electrical issues and Dealerships not honouring warranty by blaming aftermarket bulbs to be the problem - so I rang my dealer and asked for the OE bulbs they use and was told it was these. Plus I’m not really bothered or obsessing with headlight styling. Lights are lights to me.

Surprisingly, the ones which were already in there weren’t even Phillips, they were Osrams, which isn’t OE spec🤣 Oh these dealerships don’t know what they are talking about.

But I’m happy it was just the bulbs and not a ballast issue. Thanks everyone for the help.
Glad it's resolved!

It is the ballast not the bulb.
buy new ballasts or have vw fix if under warranty
This aged well 😝

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
*UPDATE*

Glad to hear its resolved! And that it was only a bulb issue, I stand corrected!

GolfMatchMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GOLF MATCH (64)
Another update. I completely forgot I sent an email regarding the bulbs to my local dealership back when all this drama started. After I’ve bought the bulbs, paid for the labour to get it replaced they’ve just sent me an email saying “The Bi-Xenon bulbs are covered under warranty meaning supply and fitting will be a warranty claim and not charegable to you” I don’t know whether to laugh or cry you cannot make this shit up🤣🤣🤣🤣