GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 TSI Golf Bi-Xenon Light Flickers

GolfMatchMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GOLF MATCH (64)
Hi all,

I have a MK7 Match TSI which has the Bi-Xenon headlights (from factory not retrofitted). I noticed yesterday that the passenger side light turns off and then back on after 1-2 seconds. Driver side is fine. Car was bought not long ago and still has Dealership warranty.

Any thoughts on what this issue might be? Something as simple as a dying bulb? Or a bigger problem like ballast, ignitor or wiring? I’m not sure how long ago these bulbs were put in.

Please do advise me or anyone who has experienced this and has found out what the cause is? Please see picture of headlight attached.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

Attachments

• 91B72E20-C354-4767-92F3-9D67CBD1992C.jpeg
    91B72E20-C354-4767-92F3-9D67CBD1992C.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 371

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Ballast or bulb on its way out??...

You've had loads of problems with this car & you've already had to go back to the dealers to get new suspension & various other problems fixed....you know my views on this subject as I've already stated them...

GolfMatchMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GOLF MATCH (64)
Ballast or bulb on its way out??...

You've had loads of problems with this car & you've already had to go back to the dealers to get new suspension & various other problems fixed....you know my views on this subject as I've already stated them...
Haha lol! To be honest, stuff like this isn’t really bothering me as the previous problems which are now solved! Also, reading online these Bi-Xenons are a common headache anyway. Already got it booked at Local VW for late April. £99 diagnostic fee, but only payable if it comes back as something as a dying bulb. I’d rather get it checked than spend £80-£100 on these bi-xenon bulbs only to find that its not a bulb issue.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I'm with @golfdave - typical symptoms of a failing ballast or bulb.

Not sure why you'd pay VW diagnostic charges for such a common and simple issue.

Swap the bulbs, does the issue transfer sides? No? Swap the ballasts, same question.

If both are a no, then you can start paying for diagnostics, but try the simple stuff first to avoid being shafted.

GolfMatchMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GOLF MATCH (64)
I'm with @golfdave - typical symptoms of a failing ballast or bulb.

Not sure why you'd pay VW diagnostic charges for such a common and simple issue.

Swap the bulbs, does the issue transfer sides? No? Swap the ballasts, same question.

If both are a no, then you can start paying for diagnostics, but try the simple stuff first to avoid being shafted.
Because taking it to the garage and having the headlight units taken out to swap bulbs (which needs bumper partly taken off) will cost just as much in a London garage will cost me just as much. But do you think I’m better off doing that first than going to VW?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Because taking it to the garage and having the headlight units taken out to swap bulbs (which needs bumper partly taken off) will cost just as much in a London garage will cost me just as much. But do you think I’m better off doing that first than going to VW?
Are you not able to do it yourself before going to a garage?

Remember, VWs diagnostic charge only covers half an hour of diagnostics...

GolfMatchMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GOLF MATCH (64)
Are you not able to do it yourself before going to a garage?

Remember, VWs diagnostic charge only covers half an hour of diagnostics...
Unfortunately I haven’t got the tools mate and stuff like this makes me really anxious (taking bumper and other parts off). I’ve had a look and changing the main beam headlight is impossible without taking the whole unit out as fusebox is blocking access.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Unfortunately I haven’t got the tools mate and stuff like this makes me really anxious (taking bumper and other parts off). I’ve had a look and changing the main beam headlight is impossible without taking the whole unit out as fusebox is blocking access.
Fair enough. Definitely consider alternatives to VW though. £99 won't get you very far with their labour rates.

GolfMatchMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GOLF MATCH (64)
He can't be.

I agree it's usually the ballasts, but telling someone to buy a replacement without actually checking first is silly.
I thought so. But anyway I’m going to take your advice and follow the steps first to see what problem is. VW isn’t booked until another 20 or so days so have plenty of time to investigate and cancel the appointment if its just a hulb issue.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
How are you so sure?
I used to retrofit multiple headlights. Issues were usually bad connection where I had to bend back a pin, canbus cancellor, or ballast. Since you have a stock setup I would generally disregard first two and go with ballast.
You can diagnose by swapping ballasts and seeing if problem follows the ballast. But since you say you don’t have the tools, I would just skip to ballast since it may remove labor costs for troubleshooting.

GolfMatchMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GOLF MATCH (64)
I used to retrofit multiple headlights. Issues were usually bad connection where I had to bend back a pin, canbus cancellor, or ballast. Since you have a stock setup I would generally disregard first two and go with ballast.
You can diagnose by swapping ballasts and seeing if problem follows the ballast. But since you say you don’t have the tools, I would just skip to ballast since it may remove labor costs for troubleshooting.
Hi mate thanks for advice. Isn’t swapping ballasts same as swapping the good bulb to the side of issue and seeing if problem persists? If so, isn’t that a much more easier way to assess it rather than swapping ballasts. Let me know bud

GolfMatchMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GOLF MATCH (64)
Also, I spoke to technician at VW and he said that metal unit on the back of the D3S bulb is the ballast or also known as Ignitor/Starter. I showed him a picture of a ballast on Google and said what’s this then? And he said this is the headlight control module and if this failed, you would get an error code. Is this true?