GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 TSI 1.8 APR Stage 1 - Scheduled

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
I have a question. Wouldn't the metal fragments need to pass through the intercooler to get into the motor? if so, how difficult would that be? Sorry for the Noob question.

It really depends on where the failure is. Don't forget there's an oil feed, and bearings that can disintegrate. Then its wave Au Revoir to the engine.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
UPDATE - So I had the tune done this afternoon. I ended up doing the more conservative 91 Octane Tune. First impressions - actually I can't tell any difference until I drive aggressively - open the engine up to 3/4 throttle or more. Definately more power when I open it up. So time will tell, but I expect this will continue to be the reliable car I have come to love. Maybe some people's mind set is to beat the sh*t out of their car. For me, if I know I'm going to have the car for a long time, I look to preserve the car and the money I spent on it. I can tell the difference, but I guess my driving style is not to beat the sh*t out of my car. Day 1. Big thrust difference when I open up the golf, and no problems.

That's interesting. I noticed a HUGE difference going to APR stage 1 93. Don't think 91 tune is much less. Especially flooring it from about 2500pm in 2nd gear. But if you're still on stock 15" wheels and tires, you won't be able to floor it until 3rd. Traction control will keep cutting power.

Woody_in_MN

Ready to race!
That's interesting. I noticed a HUGE difference going to APR stage 1 93. Don't think 91 tune is much less. Especially flooring it from about 2500pm in 2nd gear. But if you're still on stock 15" wheels and tires, you won't be able to floor it until 3rd. Traction control will keep cutting power.

The 91 tune is right between the 87 octane and 91 octane in hp and torque. First day I did not floor it. But I needed to get around some traffic and opened it up about 3/4 throttle. There is were I really felt the bump. The golf moved right out. But to me, I think this is what a tune should feel like. Still be able to loaf along in commuter traffic, but there when you need. Floor it and it kicks b*tt.

Rockstar08

Ready to race!
UPDATE - So I had the tune done this afternoon. I ended up doing the more conservative 91 Octane Tune. First impressions - actually I can't tell any difference until I drive aggressively - open the engine up to 3/4 throttle or more. Definately more power when I open it up. So time will tell, but I expect this will continue to be the reliable car I have come to love. Maybe some people's mind set is to beat the sh*t out of their car. For me, if I know I'm going to have the car for a long time, I look to preserve the car and the money I spent on it. I can tell the difference, but I guess my driving style is not to beat the sh*t out of my car. Day 1. Big thrust difference when I open up the golf, and no problems.

I bet you will feel a difference more after a day or two. When I had my APR stage 1 on my 2011 GTI I was a little underwhelmed at first. But after you start and stop the car a few times and get on it some more I think it was like the 2nd day the tune really adapted more and it was a Huge difference. So report back after you have driven a few times and do a couple of 3rd gear pulls up to redline helps I hear.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
What the last poster said is my observation.i had stage one 91 for a few months and then went full bolt on. In hindsight I should have stopped at Stage one, I spent a whole lot of money to chase the last few horsepower .........car is a blast to drive and pulls super hard in third and fourth. I can’t imagine having all that power with just fwd. have fun!

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Great news and congrats! You will enjoy it more every day. I love mine and like you, buy cars, pay them off (or pay cash) and drive them forever so yeah...not beating them up is my MO as well. But every once in a while....it's sure fun to floor it getting on the highway!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
What it is exactly on the GTI is the APR Stage 1 low torque 91 Octane tune, but plus 400 dollars for the replacement powertrain warranty. Which I don't think is bad if you've got the bulk of your 5 or 6 years to run.
Remember its not the stage 1 that gives you the APR warranty. Its APR + which is a less powerful tune than regular stage 1. And its still flashing the ECU so if things did go up in smoke, which really wouldn't be as a result of the tune, but due to a manufacturing defect. VW would still likely deny your claim for a new engine, and you'd have to go with APR's 'warranty' which basically means take it into an APR dealer and they'll do whatever means necessary to 'repair' your engine. I wasn't comfortable with that, so i went with a JB4, and low and behold, had an engine issue. Whipped that JB4 out, took it in, and got what i needed taken care of, and everything was with genuine OEM VW brand new parts. ;)
On the regular Golf with the 1.8 the plus is the same as the 87 Stage 1.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I think the comments that the plus warranty isn't any good isn't based on real-world experience and a bit of typical forum warranty paranoia. They offer the warranty because the math shows them that it's unlikely that you will need it with their lower output tune. I did a ton of research on it (including a thorough read of the warranty doc) when I was doing my tune homework and it sounded just fine to me if de-risking this process is worth $400 to you. Seems that you will likely get service at a VW dealer with it. Doesn't seem that odd to me that they want to control the risk they are covering by controlling the gear (VW and their own) as well as the maintenance end of it...like all other warranties or insurance.

Last edited:

Woody_in_MN

Ready to race!
I think the comments that the plus warranty isn't any good isn't based on real-world experience and a bit of typical forum warranty paranoia. They offer the warranty because the math shows them that it's unlikely that you will need it with their lower output tune. I did a ton of research on it (including a thorough read of the warranty doc) when I was doing my tune homework and it sounded just fine to me if de-risking this process is worth $400 to you. Seems that you will likely get service at a VW dealer with it. Doesn't seem that odd to me that they want to control the risk they are covering by controlling the gear (VW and their own) as well as the maintenance end of it...like all other warranties or insurance.

The APR warranty was on the back of my mind yesterday, but I guess I came to peace with the decision when I decided to do a lower power tune. Kind of a compromise for me knowing I would get more power than a cold air intake and cat back, but not out to get every last once of hp out of the stock engine. I live between suburbs and country, so most the times I don't have the road to myself. But it could be I'm not an aggressive driver. Of course I do have the sport bike if I need a speed rush.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The APR warranty was on the back of my mind yesterday, but I guess I came to peace with the decision when I decided to do a lower power tune. Kind of a compromise for me knowing I would get more power than a cold air intake and cat back, but not out to get every last once of hp out of the stock engine. I live between suburbs and country, so most the times I don't have the road to myself. But it could be I'm not an aggressive driver. Of course I do have the sport bike if I need a speed rush.
So when is Stage 2 IS20? [emoji1787]

Woody_in_MN

Ready to race!
What the last poster said is my observation.i had stage one 91 for a few months and then went full bolt on. In hindsight I should have stopped at Stage one, I spent a whole lot of money to chase the last few horsepower .........car is a blast to drive and pulls super hard in third and fourth. I can’t imagine having all that power with just fwd. have fun!

I did get upgraded 17 inch wheels. Stock was 15 inch.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
^^^

I'd be more interested in a cold air intake so I can hear more of the engine. And/or cat back.
Right on.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!

It really doesn't matter how fast a car is. It'll always be underwhelming if you own and ride motorcycles. (shitty cruisers aside lol) Nothing can match the raw adrenaline rush of an accelerating motorcycle !

That being said, i still love dropping a gear in my 6MT, flooring the pedal, and taking corners at high speed ! All while in a sporty environment with music blaring.

Woody_in_MN

Ready to race!
It really doesn't matter how fast a car is. It'll always be underwhelming if you own and ride motorcycles. (shitty cruisers aside lol) Nothing can match the raw adrenaline rush of an accelerating motorcycle !

That being said, i still love dropping a gear in my 6MT, flooring the pedal, and taking corners at high speed ! All while in a sporty environment with music blaring.

Right. I'm old. I'm not dead.