GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 TSI 1.8 APR Stage 1 - Scheduled

cb1111

Dont go based on "what you heard" you need to actually research things.

APR's warranty covers the CAI and many other things:

APR Plus now includes support for our entire lineup of APR Stage 1 compatible engine hardware, such as intakes, intercoolers, catback exhaust systems and more. We’ve also included support for our APR Plus transmission software, and hardware, and even include support for driveline components, such as brakes, wheels, suspension and more.

https://www.goapr.com/news/2017/12/13/apr-expands-the-apr-plus-limited-powertrain-warranty-program/
Here is the actual warranty.

TroyI

Ready to race!
I also ride a sport bike. Soooo, I guess I'm a young 66 year old.

You are not old in the car world. I'm 48 and my dad is 77. My dad still drag races regularly in local bracket racing series and his car runs in the low 11's without any boost (all motor with air conditioner)

Rockstar08

Ready to race!
Dont go based on "what you heard" you need to actually research things.

APR's warranty covers the CAI and many other things:

APR Plus now includes support for our entire lineup of APR Stage 1 compatible engine hardware, such as intakes, intercoolers, catback exhaust systems and more. We’ve also included support for our APR Plus transmission software, and hardware, and even include support for driveline components, such as brakes, wheels, suspension and more.

https://www.goapr.com/news/2017/12/13/apr-expands-the-apr-plus-limited-powertrain-warranty-program/

Please note that all those afrermarket parts must be the APR Intake, APR downpipe etc.!! If you choose to use another vendors products and something happens you can bet the APR warranty WILL NOT cover it, they will look for any reason not to warranty a blown engine or DSG I guarantee you that!!!

However I will say that with this lower torque stage 1 tune the chances of actually blowing up the motor or DSG is really slim to none! Of course there are plenty of idiot drivers out there that will put 87 octane in and or run the hell out of the car the minute they start it up without letting the oil come up to temperature properly!! I also read there APR had a 500HP monster car that they tried to blow up and couldn't..lol. So its all about the risk you are willing to take. Me personally I will be either going the JB4 route which it seems is completely undetectable if you remove it before taking the car to the dealer since that one does not flash tune your car! Or I may do the APR stage 1 tune with the warranty since my car is a 2019 which has the 6 years or 72K warranty which gives me a lot of coverage should something happen!

Last edited:

cb1111

I have heard adding other aftermarket, like a cold air intake, voids the APR warranty. It would be an additional $400 for 15 months of coverage. Seems expensive. But if I blew a turbo, would be worth it.

I must say I am not totally new to this kind of mod. I bought a performance chip for a like 1995 Cadillac STS and never had a problem with it. Also did an ECU tune in a 1998 A4 I had. Did not have issues with that. But both cars I traded about a year later. Both out of warranty. So no long term history on those.
I remember those chips for the Caddy. They did little except to change the feel of the gas pedal and were a piggyback chip.Was the Audi tune a chip or a tune?

cb1111

The only difference between us older (and wiser) modders and the young ones is that we go in with our eyes open. We consider the downsides as well as unintended consequences and figure out if the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Are you guys ready to put your money where your mouths are and pay for any costs the OP may incur?

Or does that change your "tune"?

what? are you responsible for your own decisions or the guy who gave you advice? I will gladly put my money where my mouth is and tune my car, which I have already done.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
Or I may do the APR stage 1 tune with the warranty since my car is a 2019 which has the 6 years or 72K warranty which gives me a lot of coverage should something happen!

Remember its not the stage 1 that gives you the APR warranty. Its APR + which is a less powerful tune than regular stage 1. And its still flashing the ECU so if things did go up in smoke, which really wouldn't be as a result of the tune, but due to a manufacturing defect. VW would still likely deny your claim for a new engine, and you'd have to go with APR's 'warranty' which basically means take it into an APR dealer and they'll do whatever means necessary to 'repair' your engine. I wasn't comfortable with that, so i went with a JB4, and low and behold, had an engine issue. Whipped that JB4 out, took it in, and got what i needed taken care of, and everything was with genuine OEM VW brand new parts. ;)

cb1111

Please note that all those afrermarket parts must be the APR Intake, APR downpipe etc.!! If you choose to use another vendors products and something happens you can bet the APR warranty WILL NOT cover it, they will look for any reason not to warranty a blown engine or DSG I guarantee you that!!!

However I will say that with this lower torque stage 1 tune the chances of actually blowing up the motor or DSG is really slim to none! Of course there are plenty of idiot drivers out there that will put 87 octane in and or run the hell out of the car the minute they start it up without letting the oil come up to temperature properly!!
APR just added a third party warranty and are using the exclusions to sell more add-on products.

I do agree that the APR tune is mostly safe - but - if something does go wrong, then VW will deny the claim and APR will look for exclusions.

My earlier comment stays - the only way to stay sane is to expect no warranty coverage and be pleasantly surprised when VW (or APR or whoever ) pays for a failure.

APR's warranty, may, in fact, violate the MM warranty Act by denying warranty coverage based on the mere presence of a non-APR part. Note that this is different from a manufacturer stating (after a failure) that an aftermarket part caused the failure. By adding the new "it is OK if you use APR parts", they are getting themselves in a bit deeper.

They need better lawyers.

Last edited:

Woody_in_MN

Ready to race!
I remember those chips for the Caddy. They did little except to change the feel of the gas pedal and were a piggyback chip.Was the Audi tune a chip or a tune?
The Audi was a Tune. Same shop I'm talking to now.

The caddy chip changed the shift points in the AT. That much I remember.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
I think blowing the turbo would be the biggy. I think that could run about $2,000 . But I appreciate everyone's feedback.

If metal fragments get into the engine, then its more than just a new turbo, it could be an entire new engine ! Which either means paying well over 10k or getting a dumpster engine from somewhere and hope for the best.

Rockstar08

Ready to race!
Remember its not the stage 1 that gives you the APR warranty. Its APR + which is a less powerful tune than regular stage 1. And its still flashing the ECU so if things did go up in smoke, which really wouldn't be as a result of the tune, but due to a manufacturing defect. VW would still likely deny your claim for a new engine, and you'd have to go with APR's 'warranty' which basically means take it into an APR dealer and they'll do whatever means necessary to 'repair' your engine. I wasn't comfortable with that, so i went with a JB4, and low and behold, had an engine issue. Whipped that JB4 out, took it in, and got what i needed taken care of, and everything was with genuine OEM VW brand new parts. ;)

Thanks Jay, yes that is the way I am leaning also since the JB4 is not flashing the ECU versus the APR plus tune. I can't imagine how long it would take for an APR dealer to service and fix my car with whatever part they deem to see fit. i read their warranty and the will use the cheapest parts they can find as it doesn't have to be new VW parts they will use.

TroyI

Ready to race!
If metal fragments get into the engine, then its more than just a new turbo, it could be an entire new engine ! Which either means paying well over 10k or getting a dumpster engine from somewhere and hope for the best.

I have a question. Wouldn't the metal fragments need to pass through the intercooler to get into the motor? if so, how difficult would that be? Sorry for the Noob question.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Remember its not the stage 1 that gives you the APR warranty. Its APR + which is a less powerful tune than regular stage 1

What it is exactly on the GTI is the APR Stage 1 low torque 91 Octane tune, but plus 400 dollars for the replacement powertrain warranty. Which I don't think is bad if you've got the bulk of your 5 or 6 years to run.

Woody_in_MN

Ready to race!
UPDATE - So I had the tune done this afternoon. I ended up doing the more conservative 91 Octane Tune. First impressions - actually I can't tell any difference until I drive aggressively - open the engine up to 3/4 throttle or more. Definately more power when I open it up. So time will tell, but I expect this will continue to be the reliable car I have come to love. Maybe some people's mind set is to beat the sh*t out of their car. For me, if I know I'm going to have the car for a long time, I look to preserve the car and the money I spent on it. I can tell the difference, but I guess my driving style is not to beat the sh*t out of my car. Day 1. Big thrust difference when I open up the golf, and no problems.