GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 TSI 1.8 APR Stage 1 - Scheduled

Woody_in_MN

Ready to race!
All,

After a lot of thought, and some research I have scheduled a APR Stage 1 tuning on my 2015 Golf TSI 1.8 . If anyone feels obligated too talk me out of this - now's the time. For what it's worth, I don't plan on track days, or drag racing. I'm in my 60s and am looking for a bump in power on rare times I need it.

Stay tuned. Tune will happen Wed this week.

- w

Juggar

Ready to race!
I had my previous 2015 1.8t jetta flashed with APR stage 1. Very worth it, its exactly what you are looking for.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
As long as you think you can handle the power, old timer. :)

Personally, I would get a JB1 until your warranty expires.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
To the person talking about warranty...it's a 2015...that ain't under warranty unless there is an extended and after this long...who cares. The Uni Stage 1+ is an amazing upgrade on the 1.8, love mine every day I drive it (2018 wagon). It's sure to not disappoint. It's a set-it-and-forget-it type of deal and you can flash yourself which is super easy. Go for it.

Woody_in_MN

Ready to race!
^^^
Correct. My factory warranty expired last July. I did get a 3rd party extended warranty. That will expire in 70,000 miles. I only have 31,000 miles on the Golf.

Juggar

Ready to race!
Powertrain is 5 years/60K?

Was it not that robust of a warranty on MY 15s?

He is under the 5 year/60k powertrain warranty but out of the 3 year/36k basic warranty.

So hes still under the factory warranty until July 2020. Not sure why he bought a 3rd party warranty, seems kinda worthless for the extra 10K miles, especially if you tune.

Woody_in_MN

Ready to race!
He is under the 5 year/60k powertrain warranty but out of the 3 year/36k basic warranty.

So hes still under the factory warranty until July 2020. Not sure why he bought a 3rd party warranty, seems kinda worthless for the extra 10K miles, especially if you tune.

Extended Warranty: I was going into retirement and wanted to minimize any big repair expenses, including electronics for the next few years. I did not buy the gulf with a plan to tune. I started considering a tune about a year ago. I realize there is some risk in getting the extended warranty honored if there are repairs needed after tone. I think the warranty company or VW would need to show the tune CAUSED the failure. That said, other than factory recalls, I have not had ANY mechanical failures. They only hickups I have ever seen are phantom error messages that pop up on my console screen, but they usually evaporate before I'm able to read the full message. These phantom messages have displayed maybe 5 or 6 times in over 3 1/2 years, and 31,000 miles of ownership.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I realize there is some risk in getting the extended warranty honored if there are repairs needed after tone. I think the warranty company or VW would need to show the tune CAUSED the failure.

Not to be a downer, but this part definitely isn't true, as far as the original VW warranty goes anyway. Not sure how the language is worded in the aftermarket or if they would even know about Tuning.

VW only has to prove you've violated the terms of the agreement. They scan the car, it shows the TD1 code, flag for ECU tuning. They won't honor the warranty and you would have to eat the cost of the repair if you blow the turbo.

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
You will love the extra power, and the added fun! [emoji41][emoji106]

Sent from my Gavin Belson black box signature edition