GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 tail light bulb change - Paper clip trick

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Changing the rear Brake/Parking light bulb can be a PITA because the wires are really short. So what’s the solution then? Pull harder?

Just unlock the connector housing from the bulb housing with a paper clip.

[video] https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmJd4ZO6GXRhg0nO6Gbxm57wl-sd[/video]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adam1991

Banned
THAT'S the video I was looking for the other day.

thanks for posting that.

(I wish some of the aftermarket bulb companies would have stuff like this on their web sites...sorta like DAP does.)

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Changing the rear Brake/Parking light bulb can be a PITA because the wires are really short. So what’s the solution then? Pull harder?

Just unlock the connector housing from the bulb housing with a paper clip.

[video] https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmJd4ZO6GXRhg0nO6Gbxm57wl-sd[/video]

You see in the paperclip video that when the bottom plug is pulled off the wire was folded inside. Once plug put back on the wire was released. He could then just pull the bulb out without the paperclip. (But clip is a big help).
Without the clip if you pull a little harder the folded wire comes out and not you have enough to remove bulb.

Thanks for clip video. Deautoled should link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

adam1991

Banned
yeah, mine wasn't folded over like that. Mine was straight back to the outer fixture itself,
where it was stuck.

I will probably remove mine now to see what the dealer did. Maybe they used the paperclip trick, but told me "he just pulled more slack out of the housing".

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Guys, thanks for your feedback.

Making my first adapter harness for the MK7.5 European tails I wanted to salvage the connector housings of the outer tails. I noticed that the connector housing is a separate piece from the light bulb housing. While the one vehicle side had enough slag the other side had too short wires. Sure I started with the side with more slag, had the bulb housing out and a paper clip did the trick to unlock the connector housing. The shorter wire side was a piece of cake then.

I just wanted to share my experience. There are many ways as always.

adam1991

Banned
Guys, thanks for your feedback.

Making my first adapter harness for the MK7.5 European tails I wanted to salvage the connector housings of the outer tails. I noticed that the connector housing is a separate piece from the light bulb housing. While the one vehicle side had enough slag the other side had too short wires. Sure I started with the side with more slag, had the bulb housing out and a paper clip did the trick to unlock the connector housing. The shorter wire side was a piece of cake then.

I just wanted to share my experience. There are many ways as always.

I'm pretty sure yours is THE way.

I'm still fascinated that VW manufactures a car where it pretty much takes Joe Consumer to pay the dealer to change a freaking light bulb.