GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 suspension issues/noises/advice. CLICK HERE FIRST!

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
I'm having issues similar to Beechy, except no creaking. I'm getting loud clunking from the front end of the car and if I turn my wheels near full lock it is like DUDUDUDUDUUD like something is hitting or binding. Also have clunking noise when moving steering wheel left/right. Completely stock suspension and having a hell of a time trying to get the local dealership to even respond to me for an appointment.

I've taken both front wheels off and everything appears fine to me. Car handles seemingly just fine to me too. Going to get it on ramps soon and see if something that I couldn't see with the wheels off is just majorly loose. Car has only 14k on it, 2019.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm having issues similar to Beechy, except no creaking. I'm getting loud clunking from the front end of the car and if I turn my wheels near full lock it is like DUDUDUDUDUUD like something is hitting or binding. Also have clunking noise when moving steering wheel left/right. Completely stock suspension and having a hell of a time trying to get the local dealership to even respond to me for an appointment.

I've taken both front wheels off and everything appears fine to me. Car handles seemingly just fine to me too. Going to get it on ramps soon and see if something that I couldn't see with the wheels off is just majorly loose. Car has only 14k on it, 2019.
I would call the service manager about the problem getting an appointment. Unless you find a simple reason for the clunking I wouldn't do anything that could jeopardize your warranty.

Beechy2

Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK7

Hey Tom. Hmmm ok well let us know if you find anything. I must admit mine is only when the car hits bumps, nothing to do with steering left or right.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Common problem on 2019 cars, it’s the electric power steering rack (failed).

I personally know of two 2019, one Rabbit Gti and the other a GLI Autobahn that failed under warranty

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
Common problem on 2019 cars, it’s the electric power steering rack (failed).

I personally know of two 2019, one Rabbit Gti and the other a GLI Autobahn that failed under warranty

I've seen a few others report that as the culprit too and seems like the most logical thing at this point. Hopefully, I can get the dealership to entertain my repeated phone calls to schedule an appointment.

daymoon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Need some help after new struts and shocks installed. Creaking from front end going over bumps as well as a loud 'click' sound when turning wheel to the right about 45 degrees, it will click a couple times if I'm in motion with the wheel turned, but not every revolution of the wheel. I purchased all new hardware for the front, including new bushings, mounts, bolts, and using bilstein b4s. I used the 2x4 method as well which worked fine (had done it once before when replacing lowering springs that came with the car). I read the creaking may be due to me over torquing the strut bolt, but after trying to loosen it with a pass through socket and allen key, I feel like i'm going to break the damn thing. The strut bolt flexes quite a bit before I give up as I don't want something to go wrong... should I just keep trying til it breaks loose or what? I'm pretty sure I didn't tighten it with a torque gun at the time but I honestly can't recall.

About the clicking noise, I always suspected it was because of the front sway bar end links being really busted / too loose, but would like some confirmation before I order a new set and slap them on. Any ideas?

edit: I managed to get the strut nut off on both sides then retighten to 45 ft lbs, using my 'highly accurate' Harbor Freight torque wrench. They were much, much tighter than 45 though, used a pipe to extend the allen key out a good 2 feet, had to use some monkey strength to persuade the nut to come loose, my guess was they were tightened to 80+ before being installed, oops.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Need some help after new struts and shocks installed. Creaking from front end going over bumps as well as a loud 'click' sound when turning wheel to the right about 45 degrees, it will click a couple times if I'm in motion with the wheel turned, but not every revolution of the wheel. I purchased all new hardware for the front, including new bushings, mounts, bolts, and using bilstein b4s. I used the 2x4 method as well which worked fine (had done it once before when replacing lowering springs that came with the car). I read the creaking may be due to me over torquing the strut bolt, but after trying to loosen it with a pass through socket and allen key, I feel like i'm going to break the damn thing. The strut bolt flexes quite a bit before I give up as I don't want something to go wrong... should I just keep trying til it breaks loose or what? I'm pretty sure I didn't tighten it with a torque gun at the time but I honestly can't recall.

About the clicking noise, I always suspected it was because of the front sway bar end links being really busted / too loose, but would like some confirmation before I order a new set and slap them on. Any ideas?

edit: I managed to get the strut nut off on both sides then retighten to 45 ft lbs, using my 'highly accurate' Harbor Freight torque wrench. They were much, much tighter than 45 though, used a pipe to extend the allen key out a good 2 feet, had to use some monkey strength to persuade the nut to come loose, my guess was they were tightened to 80+ before being installed, oops.

Once strut mounts & bearings are driven on improperly torqued (too tight or too loose) the damage is usually done and they’ll need replaced.

daymoon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Once strut mounts & bearings are driven on improperly torqued (too tight or too loose) the damage is usually done and they’ll need replaced.
After driving to work today, i didn’t hear any of the squeaking that usually occurs leaving my neighborhood. It may be because it’s a bit colder out but I was parked in the garage all night so I doubt that was what caused it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
After driving to work today, i didn’t hear any of the squeaking that usually occurs leaving my neighborhood. It may be because it’s a bit colder out but I was parked in the garage all night so I doubt that was what caused it.

Well hopefully it’s fixed and no longer an issue!

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Bumping

Figured out today that the clunk I've been chasing for almost 2 years (has been discussed in this thread) does not happen when I apply slight brake pressure, only when the brakes are unloaded. Any ideas? I've checked all the caliper bolts and brake-related hardware, they are all still torqued to spec. Pads and rotors were changed in 2020 at the same time I lowered the car in march 2020, and been chasing the noise ever since about october of 2020.

i ordered end links but superpro is out of stock due to the DCC adapter that goes with the end links being backordered until june at the earliest. May just cancel the order and spring for the ECS kit

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Bumping

Figured out today that the clunk I've been chasing for almost 2 years (has been discussed in this thread) does not happen when I apply slight brake pressure, only when the brakes are unloaded. Any ideas? I've checked all the caliper bolts and brake-related hardware, they are all still torqued to spec. Pads and rotors were changed in 2020 at the same time I lowered the car in march 2020, and been chasing the noise ever since about october of 2020.

i ordered end links but superpro is out of stock due to the DCC adapter that goes with the end links being backordered until june at the earliest. May just cancel the order and spring for the ECS kit

If you’ve checked all the brake hardware move out through the suspension.

Subframe hardware (look for rolled up paint at the edge of the contact points to the chassis), LCA, ect.

If it’s clunking, something that shouldn’t move is.

Beechy2

Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK7
Bumping

This is exactly what happened to my car. It wouldn’t clunk when I had the brakes applied! So took it to a mechanic to check the brakes and turns out you could move the brake pads by about a centimetre up and down!! The design of the pads is really poor with clips either end holding them in which often fail and that was the cause of my clunk. Worth a look as it’s a simple and relatively affordable fix.

I also had another clunk recently which turns out was a roll bar link had gone on the front left. Simple fix.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
If you’ve checked all the brake hardware move out through the suspension.

Subframe hardware (look for rolled up paint at the edge of the contact points to the chassis), LCA, ect.

If it’s clunking, something that shouldn’t move is.

This is exactly what happened to my car. It wouldn’t clunk when I had the brakes applied! So took it to a mechanic to check the brakes and turns out you could move the brake pads by about a centimetre up and down!! The design of the pads is really poor with clips either end holding them in which often fail and that was the cause of my clunk. Worth a look as it’s a simple and relatively affordable fix.

I also had another clunk recently which turns out was a roll bar link had gone on the front left. Simple fix.
Thanks for the info gents. I'll check the pads first and see if that's it. Whats the fix for the brakes, new clips or new pads or something?

If not the pads, I'll move to the subframe hardware and check all that stuff