GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 suspension issues/noises/advice. CLICK HERE FIRST!

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
I screwed up replacing struts on my '16 Sportwagen and trashed my driver's side axle and put some wear on the passenger axle. Driver's was replaced; passenger's was not as the initial problem was fixed, but I've now got vibration, especially between 20-40ish under acceleration. I'm going to swap the passenger axle this weekend - anyone have any tips? I'm hoping to not have to go get aligned again.

Hard to replace the axle without unfastening the ball joint, or the steering knuckle from the strut, or both. Doing any of this should probably warrant a re-alignment to be certain. The way that would cause the least impact to overall alignment would be to separate the strut from the knuckle if possible. Depending on where you got the alignment done, may determine if they do a re-alignment with-in a certain time frame or not. May want to talk with service manager and explain your situation and see if they'll do a re-align gratis. Bet if they're interested in good customer service, they will ;). GL.

etrips

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golfffff Rrrrrr
Alright friends, vague trouble shooting time. Had 034 RSB, VWR springs, and Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts installed about 26k miles ago while reusing the OEM hardware. Recently my ride has become... bouncier, and LOTS of creaking from the rear, a lot less noticeable in the fronts. What is the probable issue/fix? End links? Hardware? Strut mounts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Alright friends, vague trouble shooting time. Had 034 RSB, VWR springs, and Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts installed about 26k miles ago while reusing the OEM hardware. Recently my ride has become... bouncier, and LOTS of creaking from the rear, a lot less noticeable in the fronts. What is the probable issue/fix? End links? Hardware? Strut mounts?

Have you tried adjusting the Koni's rebound to help with the bouncing?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

etrips

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golfffff Rrrrrr
Have you tried adjusting the Koni's rebound to help with the bouncing?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I have not since with the rears I would need to take them out in order to adjust them.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I'm getting a low pitched rattle/knocking going over small bumps. This started after installing 034 lowering springs, spring bearings and 034 strut mounts. This knocking gets worse if I have the DCC adjusted to race mode. It's barely noticeable when the suspension is in comfort mode.

The knocking is coming from the front of the car on both sides.

Admittedly I didn't use a torque wrench when installing the springs. I used the 2x4 method to install them. So I only touched the locking bolt on the back of the knuckle, sway bar endlinks and obviously the strut mount bolts and strut nut.

I've checked all of the bolts on the strut mount I've also checked by finger to see if the locking nut on the knuckle was loose.

Before I go all out and replace everything has anyone else had a similar situation?

Can't find where I found this advice, but you can tighten the strut top nut without removing the strut from the car. This solved my suspension knocking/squeaking problem without all the hassle of taking out the strut!!

In the engine bay, take off the metal clip holding the plastic cowl over the strut mount, pull it back to reveal the strut mount and the 3 bolts attaching it to the frame. Pop off the plastic cover in the center of the bolts and you'll have access to the top nut so you can tighten it up.

Note don't use a hex key with a ball end for this - I did and it snapped off in the nut when torquing it. Had to end up dremeling it out. :mad:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Can't find where I found this advice, but you can tighten the strut top nut without removing the strut from the car. This solved my suspension knocking/squeaking problem without all the hassle of taking out the strut!!

In the engine bay, take off the metal clip holding the plastic cowl over the strut mount, pull it back to reveal the strut mount and the 3 bolts attaching it to the frame. Pop off the plastic cover in the center of the bolts and you'll have access to the top nut so you can tighten it up.

Note don't use a hex key with a ball end for this - I did and it snapped off in the nut when torquing it. Had to end up dremeling it out. :mad:

It’s always worth a try, but that won’t always work.

I’m assuming the original issue was caused by tightening the top nut with an impact. For those reading, just tighten it properly the first time as the noise is your strut mount beating itself to death

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
^^^
If everything is tight...I'd point my finger towards the 034 mounts
Try the OEM mounts instead and see if the noise goes away then
As a quick follow-up to this...
Swapped in OEM strut mounts, rattles are now by and large gone. My recommendation is to stay with the OEM shock mounts unless you need negative camber.

It’s always worth a try, but that won’t always work.

I’m assuming the original issue was caused by tightening the top nut with an impact. For those reading, just tighten it properly the first time as the noise is your strut mount beating itself to death

I bought the car new and did no changes to the suspension, so no, not caused by an impact driver (unless that was done at the factory). Noise issue started happening around 28,000 miles and a handful of track days.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Need your help identifying this noise which I've been dealing with for a while. Hoping that someone has heard it before. You may need to turn up the volume: https://youtu.be/JaBaXhzsBd0

It happens only over repeated bumps, like one after another. I have DCC, as well. It's not terrible by any means but every so often I wonder, why the #$%# is it knocking like that. You can hear it from outside the car even better, so unfortunately I've had people turn their head while I'm driving by them going over bumps. Blubblubblubblub... blublub.. blublublub. Any ideas appreciated.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Need your help identifying this noise which I've been dealing with for a while. Hoping that someone has heard it before. You may need to turn up the volume: https://youtu.be/JaBaXhzsBd0

It happens only over repeated bumps, like one after another. I have DCC, as well. It's not terrible by any means but every so often I wonder, why the #$%# is it knocking like that. You can hear it from outside the car even better, so unfortunately I've had people turn their head while I'm driving by them going over bumps. Blubblubblubblub... blublub.. blublublub. Any ideas appreciated.

I couldn't hear it very well even at full volume but it sounds similar to mine and it was the driver side brake pads because a spring had broken. Only ever heard it when hitting a sharp quick bump.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I couldn't hear it very well even at full volume but it sounds similar to mine and it was the driver side brake pads because a spring had broken. Only ever heard it when hitting a sharp quick bump.

OK, interesting.. Is this easy to check? What should I be looking for. Thank you for listening to it.

juanpablo046

As a quick follow-up to this...
Swapped in OEM strut mounts, rattles are now by and large gone. My recommendation is to stay with the OEM shock mounts unless you need negative camber.
I have Camber Mounts from 034 with KW V3 and I'm getting a loud noise on every bump or when the car loses some weight and settles again. Front axle, both sides.