GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 suspension issues/noises/advice. CLICK HERE FIRST!

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I'm having the car go up on a lift in the next week. Have a feeling it's my subframe.

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
Okay so I’ve had the front right apart multiple times after a spring install because of a creak.

I’ve done 10-15 spring installs on mk2-mk7’s and this is by far the pickiest.

New hardware twice and new strut mount and the creak is unchanged.

I’ve now also developed a pop out of D or R when the clutch engages.

This has gone on for 10k miles and I want to burn the car.

(Silicone on control arm bushings quiets it down for a week)

Vid: https://youtu.be/DfNp9fi32vU

Last edited:

bleeped

Here are a few I have had. Based on YouTube comments others have had them as well.

Creak when turning steering wheel (Not related to new suspension work): https://youtu.be/qgoMYhzC72Y

Subframe: https://youtu.be/G2tv1db19uM

Clunks over speed bumps (old setup with FSDs and neuspeed sports. thought this was the mounts but they seemed fine. undiagnosed): https://youtu.be/rCsm41K6_YQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you ever find out what was causing the clunk over speed bump? Mine developed into that same noise over time into exactly the sound in your vid.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Did you ever find out what was causing the clunk over speed bump? Mine developed into that same noise over time into exactly the sound in your vid.

No. Sounds like it has happened to various people though. I was expecting the OEM mount to be broken when I took it off but it seemed fine...I haven’t had the issue with the 034s but can’t say that’s why.

Crooked dust cover getting caught maybe?

Edit: other thought is the bearing and mount becoming unseated but not sure how likely that is if everything is seated right to begin with and torqued down correctly throughout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Jake, if this is about best practicea and troubleshooting, you might consider discussing the issue of loading the suspension before torquing bolts where bushings are in play...either by putting the car on the ground or raising the suspension to ride height. thanks!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Jake, if this is about best practicea and troubleshooting, you might consider discussing the issue of loading the suspension before torquing bolts where bushings are in play...either by putting the car on the ground or raising the suspension to ride height. thanks!

I’ve never ran into any issues with what I’m guessing you’re referring to is the rear suspension. I always use a jack to hold each individual control arm up, but didn’t realize people were having issues with this. Most self induced issues I’ve see people create are up front

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
you've probably been doing it right in the first place.

it can come into play with the three front top mount bolts as well as the front lca bushing. the latter is recommended in the service manual iirc.

great thread
I’ve never ran into any issues with what I’m guessing you’re referring to is the rear suspension. I always use a jack to hold each individual control arm up, but didn’t realize people were having issues with this. Most self induced issues I’ve see people create are up front

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
you've probably been doing it right in the first place.

it can come into play with the three front top mount bolts as well as the front lca bushing. the latter is recommended in the service manual iirc.

great thread

Hopefully it’ll help keep clutter down, and help people find quick answers without having to search all over. For the front I always just support the strut assembly but I can see where some people wouldn’t think to do that if they’re not wrenching on a daily basis

tstadgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE DSG
So I've been having front end clunking dating back to June. The dealer originally tightened the sub-frame bolts, that fixed the issue for a couple of months. About a month ago the clunks came back intermittently, always during low speed tight turns. Brought the car in last week, dealer replaced the sub-frame. They tested it and it is still making clunking sounds.

VW sent out a regional tech who is recommending replacing the rack and pinion. Parts will arrive tomorrow or early next week. I hope this does the trick. My bumper to bumper ends in about 10 days... Contacted VW Customer Care because if this fix doesn't work, I'm hoping they will step up since someone from corporate diagnosed the rack and pinion as the 3rd fix. Any thoughts?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So I've been having front end clunking dating back to June. The dealer originally tightened the sub-frame bolts, that fixed the issue for a couple of months. About a month ago the clunks came back intermittently, always during low speed tight turns. Brought the car in last week, dealer replaced the sub-frame. They tested it and it is still making clunking sounds.

VW sent out a regional tech who is recommending replacing the rack and pinion. Parts will arrive tomorrow or early next week. I hope this does the trick. My bumper to bumper ends in about 10 days... Contacted VW Customer Care because if this fix doesn't work, I'm hoping they will step up since someone from corporate diagnosed the rack and pinion as the 3rd fix. Any thoughts?

Make sure the senior master technician does the rack installation. If you’ve got one shot at them fixing it for good you don’t want the hourly paid oil change kid giving it his best, request the best mechanic they have (most dealership techs aren’t very good unfortunately, and some may have next to zero experience)

tstadgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE DSG
Make sure the senior master technician does the rack installation. If you’ve got one shot at them fixing it for good you don’t want the hourly paid oil change kid giving it his best, request the best mechanic they have (most dealership techs aren’t very good unfortunately, and some may have next to zero experience)

Good call on that. The dealer told me the fix will have a 12 mo/12k miles warranty, but hopefully it's fixed right the first time. My main concern is if this fix, the rack and pinion, isn't the cause of my 'clunking' issue, my car will be out of warranty in a handful of days. I'm hoping VWoA might step up if this 3rd fix for the same issue doesn't solve the problem.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Good call on that. The dealer told me the fix will have a 12 mo/12k miles warranty, but hopefully it's fixed right the first time. My main concern is if this fix, the rack and pinion, isn't the cause of my 'clunking' issue, my car will be out of warranty in a handful of days. I'm hoping VWoA might step up if this 3rd fix for the same issue doesn't solve the problem.

Just make sure the original concern (the clunk) is documented so if it continues they’ll honor that 12 & 12 coverage for that issue, not just the rack itself

tstadgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE DSG
Quick update: Car has been at dealer since 10/3. Rack and pinion still hasn't come in and won't until the end of next week. Seems insane a part like that is on back order for so long...

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Here's one that I didn't see get mentioned that I believe a few folks are experiencing, myself included. It happens when I first take off, from the car sitting for a while, and turn right, sometimes when I turn left, I get this little 'tink' sound like metal hitting metal. It doesn't happen all the time and only after when the car has been sitting for a while. Any idea of what causes it?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I have a grinding type of noise coming from the front right every morning when I pull out of the neighborhood... happens when I slow down and make a right at the first stop sign. the thing is I only hear it when cold. Once the car is warmed up it’s not there.

Stock suspension