GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 stage 2 vs mk8 R

Cytokine

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 LSG 6MT Golf R
Wait a minute...need some more info. How long have you had the tune for?
Do you baby the clutch?

Was thinking of going stage 1 but have heard horror stories about the clutch. I normally drive like a hooligan. 😁

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Do you baby the clutch?

Was thinking of going stage 1 but have heard horror stories about the clutch. I normally drive like a hooligan. 😁
That's the risk you take with any modification.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Pay to play they say

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
7 R
Was pulling on him from 80km/h roll up to 190km/h I'd say 1.5 car length by the time we shut it down.

My mk7 has 137 000 km on the stock clutch haha!!!

Manual stage2 Mk7 GTI vs Manual or Auto Mk8 R ?

Details needed .... I'm trying to ready my Mk7 R to pull on my friends potential new Mk8 R if it ever arrives.

Cheers.

Jonnyr6

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
Manual stage2 Mk7 GTI vs Manual or Auto Mk8 R ?

Details needed .... I'm trying to ready my Mk7 R to pull on my friends potential new Mk8 R if it ever arrives.

Cheers.
Yes manual gti, the mk8 r was auto.. what details are you looking for?

Jonnyr6

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
Do you baby the clutch?

I did the tune at 99,000km. I now have 138,000km on the car. It's a 2015. I'm a little surprised at how the clutch is holding, considering the amount of people saying " oh once tuned you're clutch is done, won't last long" etc..

I think there are a lot of factors when it comes to how the stock clutch will perform.. I know it will eventually start to not transfer all the power or start slipping, then I will go stage 2 clutch.. for now it isnt slipping and holds power very well.

As for how I drive, I feel I am an experienced driver so I usually have clutches last me quite a while In all of my cars. I do push the car on a daily basis ateast once but it's usually never in a low rpm where the clutch will have the most load on it, usually 4th and 5th gear when rpms are below 3k.

Don't listen to the "horror" stories. Some people can't drive all that great and are usually always riding the clutch, pulling wot in lower rpm etc. I'd say just go for the tune you won't regret it.

The thing that actually is effecting the car at the moment is heat soak in the summer, so intercooler is next, then clutch. Just did all new brake upgrades tonight because you want the car to stop when you're higher speeds.

nebgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
06 white gti
I did the tune at 99,000km. I now have 138,000km on the car. It's a 2015. I'm a little surprised at how the clutch is holding, considering the amount of people saying " oh once tuned you're clutch is done, won't last long" etc..

I think there are a lot of factors when it comes to how the stock clutch will perform.. I know it will eventually start to not transfer all the power or start slipping, then I will go stage 2 clutch.. for now it isnt slipping and holds power very well.

As for how I drive, I feel I am an experienced driver so I usually have clutches last me quite a while In all of my cars. I do push the car on a daily basis ateast once but it's usually never in a low rpm where the clutch will have the most load on it, usually 4th and 5th gear when rpms are below 3k.

Don't listen to the "horror" stories. Some people can't drive all that great and are usually always riding the clutch, pulling wot in lower rpm etc. I'd say just go for the tune you won't regret it.

The thing that actually is effecting the car at the moment is heat soak in the summer, so intercooler is next, then clutch. Just did all new brake upgrades tonight because you want the car to stop when you're higher speeds.
They used to say the same for mk5 gti. When I had my mk5 gti it had original clutch until 175k lol stage2+ (intercooler, HPFP, Downpipe etc) for about 100k never slipped. They also said BPY FSI burns oil...... Well mine didn't burn a drop. So maybe it's just luck of the draw. My dads mk7 GTI is stage 1 stock clutch and his is fine. My big turbo mk7 gti doesn't burn any oil either. Guess it depends how you drive it.

Jonnyr6

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
They used to say the same for mk5 gti. When I had my mk5 gti it had original clutch until 175k lol stage2+ (intercooler, HPFP, Downpipe etc) for about 100k never slipped. They also said BPY FSI burns oil...... Well mine didn't burn a drop. So maybe it's just luck of the draw. My dads mk7 GTI is stage 1 stock clutch and his is fine. My big turbo mk7 gti doesn't burn any oil either. Guess it depends how you drive it.
You're exactly right

Cytokine

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 LSG 6MT Golf R

Thanks! Stage 1 here I come.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
My stock clutch literally lasted until the end of the block after flashing stage 2 before it slipped.

First pull. 49K miles.
Mine lasted a bit on APR stage 2 but EQT stage 2 finished it off in short order. Did a few half throttle love taps on the highway in 4th gear and poof - it's gone.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI

I second this. I also got a 2015 manual. IE stage 2 at 55k got 107k now with the stock clutch. No slippage yet.