GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Stage 1 Tune Suggestions for Burbles and more sound and also CA CARB legal

scatcatgti

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI
Hello MK7 friends!

I'm brand new to this forum and I've done some digging already regarding tunes but wanted to ask here since it seems like there have been some recent law requirements for state of CA in terms of car tunes over past few years. In summary, I'm looking for suggestions on stage 1 tunes that will give the most burbles and pops without destroying the stock cat/DP. I live in CA so I can't go the aftermarket DP/cat route and can't go with stage 2 tune either obviously.

Here's my current setup:

2017 MK7 GTI:
- Stock DP/Cat
- Armytrix catback valved exhaust
- Integrated Engineering open cold air intake
- Boomba Racing BOV spacer

I just got the Armytrix installed yesterday and have been a little disappointed with the overall sound of it. Sounds pretty quiet overall and there's absolutely zero burbles. zero. I do get some more DSG farts now but that's about it and then the overall tone is a little louder than stock. I'm wondering if I go with one of the stage 1s that has the option for burbles if that will give me the increased noises I'm looking for. I don't need a box of rice krispies but at least a few burbles especially on downshifts would be nice.

Please provide suggestions of tune brands/companies and then ones that will also abide by current 2024 CA CARB laws and have the proper EO #s. And then if there are any other suggestions on how to increase and improve overall sounds please let me know!

Also, if I went with something like an EQT stage 1 tune with burbles option would I be able to flash back to stock tune and pass CA smog and then reflash back to the EQT without any CEL issues? Anyone have this setup and pass CA smog? It seems like there's some reports of test centers actually knowing if you have flashed to another non-carb legal tune previously and fail?

Thanks in advance!
Leon

Last edited:

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
With the valve open I would think it would be quite loud. Unfortunately the stock DP and cat muffles a lot of sound, even with pops and bangs. I doubt the stock DP would like it and I don't think there has been any aftermarket carb legal DP released. Why would you put all that R&D in for a single state when politicians will just change the rules at a whim. Easiest thing to do is move out of Cali and don't vote for the same people who put carb in place.

scatcatgti

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI
Hi there,

Thank you for the feedback. Yah, I totally feel you on the CA state politics. Sigh.

I may just go with the EQT stage 1 with burbles and see how that sounds. Doesn't seem like stage 2 will be feasible for me here in CA although i could possibly just swap out the DP every two years. Although I'm a little concerned too about the tune and even if I tune back to stock or a CARB legal stage 1 tune if the SMOG testers will know. I keep reading discrepancies in regards to tunes.

thanks again!
Leon

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
As long as you are able to flash back to the factory stock map, you should be able to pass CA smog. Just do it a week or so before you take the car in for the smog check, so all the readiness checks can be completed.

Now, if you get a burble/pops/bangs tune, it could cause damage to your cat after enough time, so you need to decide if that's a risk you want to take.

scatcatgti

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI
As long as you are able to flash back to the factory stock map, you should be able to pass CA smog. Just do it a week or so before you take the car in for the smog check, so all the readiness checks can be completed.

Now, if you get a burble/pops/bangs tune, it could cause damage to your cat after enough time, so you need to decide if that's a risk you want to take.
Thank you Mike! Appreciate the feedback. I'm now tossing around idea to possibly go directly to stage 2 tune with a high flow catted downpipe. Trying to see how loud things will be with that setup. I know the crackle tunes from most tuners will be too loud but now i'm wondering if i will get some nice deeper tone burbles on decel with a stage 2 tune that does NOT have crackle tune. I just want some nice burbles and less gun shots sounds and only mainly on throttle lift off.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Thank you Mike! Appreciate the feedback. I'm now tossing around idea to possibly go directly to stage 2 tune with a high flow catted downpipe. Trying to see how loud things will be with that setup. I know the crackle tunes from most tuners will be too loud but now i'm wondering if i will get some nice deeper tone burbles on decel with a stage 2 tune that does NOT have crackle tune. I just want some nice burbles and less gun shots sounds and only mainly on throttle lift off.
If it makes you feel better I only have a DP on the stock exhaust and I never turn on my EQT pops because they are way to loud and annoying. (Never bothered to have eqt adjust it) Also upgrade your intercooler if your going stage 2, its worth it. Custom tunes should be able to set the burbles how you like.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
don't do pops/bangs......novelty wears off after 5 min; if you must, only in sport mode. Having had that when I was EQT tuned, I couldn't stand it

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
don't do pops/bangs......novelty wears off after 5 min; if you must, only in sport mode. Having had that when I was EQT tuned, I couldn't stand it
Oh, yea, I forgot to mention that, yea only in sport. Though even if left on sport mode on startup I have to go through the modes back to sport to actually turn them on. Only used it when I want to be obnoxious or get someones attention. It does both great lmao.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Hello MK7 friends!

I'm brand new to this forum and I've done some digging already regarding tunes but wanted to ask here since it seems like there have been some recent law requirements for state of CA in terms of car tunes over past few years. In summary, I'm looking for suggestions on stage 1 tunes that will give the most burbles and pops without destroying the stock cat/DP. I live in CA so I can't go the aftermarket DP/cat route and can't go with stage 2 tune either obviously.

Here's my current setup:

2017 MK7 GTI:
- Stock DP/Cat
- Armytrix catback valved exhaust
- Integrated Engineering open cold air intake
- Boomba Racing BOV spacer

I just got the Armytrix installed yesterday and have been a little disappointed with the overall sound of it. Sounds pretty quiet overall and there's absolutely zero burbles. zero. I do get some more DSG farts now but that's about it and then the overall tone is a little louder than stock. I'm wondering if I go with one of the stage 1s that has the option for burbles if that will give me the increased noises I'm looking for. I don't need a box of rice krispies but at least a few burbles especially on downshifts would be nice.

Please provide suggestions of tune brands/companies and then ones that will also abide by current 2024 CA CARB laws and have the proper EO #s. And then if there are any other suggestions on how to increase and improve overall sounds please let me know!

Also, if I went with something like an EQT stage 1 tune with burbles option would I be able to flash back to stock tune and pass CA smog and then reflash back to the EQT without any CEL issues? Anyone have this setup and pass CA smog? It seems like there's some reports of test centers actually knowing if you have flashed to another non-carb legal tune previously and fail?

Thanks in advance!
Leon

You said California so I stopped reading after that. APR is probably your best choice.

scatcatgti

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI
100% agree...i've seen the clips on youtube and it seems fun for like a day but then will get old real quick and i"m older now and all my neighbors are pretty low key so i don't want to bother anyone. That said, i really really would like to have some slight burbles and gurgles and wondering if perhaps staying with stock DP with the armytrix catback and then stage 1 eqt burble tune will be tame enough? i know i don't want the stage 2 eqt burble tune.

scatcatgti

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI
If it makes you feel better I only have a DP on the stock exhaust and I never turn on my EQT pops because they are way to loud and annoying. (Never bothered to have eqt adjust it) Also upgrade your intercooler if your going stage 2, its worth it. Custom tunes should be able to set the burbles how you like.
Thank you so much for this info! really really helpful in my decision. Thanks a ton!