GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Reliability

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
Hi, new to the forum. Thinking about a used 2015 MK7 GTI to replace my aging 2003 E46 330i ZHP 6mt. I may have to buy a higher miles car (50-70k) to stay in my budget of mid teens so I'm curious if the MK7 is pretty reliable after it's out of warranty.

I don't mind fixing small stuff but part of the reason I'm replacing my old BMW is the high miles so I'd ideally not have to work on the car too often besides basic maintenance. Anything in particular to look out for when buying a used MK7?

Thanks!

Last edited:

GTI Dude 11

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
gti
I have a 2015 and just had the engine fail...as well as many other stories of people having issues with the 2015 including turbo issues. I would try and get into a 2016 if you can. Just my opinion though after spending thousands of dollars to fix everything...If you don't tune it you should be ok though

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
Hi, new to the forum. Thinking about a used 2015 MK7 GTI to replace my aging 2003 E46 330i ZHP 6mt. I may have to buy a higher miles car (50-70k) to stay in my budget of mid teens so I'm curious if the MK7 is pretty reliable after it's out of warranty.

I don't mind fixing small stuff but part of the reason I'm replacing my old BMW is the high miles so I'd ideally not have to work on the car too often besides basic maintenance. Anything in particular to look out for when buying a used MK7?

Thanks!

20k Update https://youtu.be/PLXpg2LDHw8
30k Update https://youtu.be/x6up8QVUtX4

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
is the value of a used one that high (maybe because flooding in TX?) folks are getting new 2017 GTI's (S) for a little less than 20.

SRQ_MK6

Ready to race!
I have a 2015 and just had the engine fail...as well as many other stories of people having issues with the 2015 including turbo issues. I would try and get into a 2016 if you can. Just my opinion though after spending thousands of dollars to fix everything...If you don't tune it you should be ok though

What happened?

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!

Dang, did they change any parts in the motor from 2015/2016? Was yours tuned or modded? Hopefully the warranty covered the motor.

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
is the value of a used one that high (maybe because flooding in TX?) folks are getting new 2017 GTI's (S) for a little less than 20.

I might be open to getting a new 2017 (s) for under 20 with a DSG vs a used 2015 for 14-15.

Can you point me to a dealer that has the best discounts?

Zoolook

Ready to race!

I don't know what it is about US VW owners that they have so many issues. European GTI owners are not having these issues and they've had the MK VII longer than us, and Audio owners with 7th Gen engines are also not having these issues.

Personally I think the engines are solid, but something about the maintenance or something specific the US is not right.

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
By the way can someone help me with trim levels and equipment on the MK7 from 2015-2017?

I think the trim levels are S (base), Sport (10 more HP, different wheels, sunroof) SE (adds leather, carplay?), autobahn (fully loaded)?

I really just want cloth, DSG and some basic amenities like heated seats, bluetooth audio, backup camera, maybe better audio. Don't really care about leather, sunroof, nav.

Is the performance package only on the earlier MK7, like the 2015? I did not see that option when building a new car on the VW site.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8082&page=85

try reading this. I got a Sport for 24K which was 5k off sticker (MT) and they gave me high wholesale on my trade in. The things the sport had was the trick front LSD, Bi-xenon? headlamps which are brilliant (intended) and keyless entry which is nice. I paid approx 1k less than the true-car price. My hint is to set up an alias email account and start emailing dealers. Look at the various true car/kelly/nada for an idea of what yoiur trade in is worth. Mine is too new for me to make reliability predictions and I worry some about it but 3 months/3k miles and I am very impressed with the blend of practical/fun it has

the sport has everything you sound like you want.

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8082&page=85

try reading this. I got a Sport for 24K which was 5k off sticker (MT) and they gave me high wholesale on my trade in. The things the sport had was the trick front LSD, Bi-xenon? headlamps which are brilliant (intended) and keyless entry which is nice. I paid approx 1k less than the true-car price. My hint is to set up an alias email account and start emailing dealers. Look at the various true car/kelly/nada for an idea of what yoiur trade in is worth. Mine is too new for me to make reliability predictions and I worry some about it but 3 months/3k miles and I am very impressed with the blend of practical/fun it has

the sport has everything you sound like you want.

Thanks for the info, I do want LSD, Bixenon headlights at least (if not LED) and keyless go. Those are a must so I guess I need to step up to a sport. Is yours a 2015 or a new 2017?

I read through that thread and didn't see any 2017's for under 20k posted.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
2015 model Mk7's had issues with carbon buildup thanks to a compromised turbo design that was remedied in the 2016 models. Nobody's really had the time to push the Mk7 platform to incredibly high miles yet, but I haven't been made aware of chronic reliability issues with 2016+ Golf's.

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
I can't comment on reliablilty as I'm only at 7,000 miles but I'd hesitate to get a used GTI (at least one with 50k+ miles). I doubt reliablilty will be that bad but this ain't a Honda Civic either.

I'd also be wary about owners previously modifying, abusing, or poorly maintaining the car.

Also, not sure about Dallas but up in the DC area the GTI S is starting to drop below 20k before TTL. I know that's over your mid-teens budget but it may be worth having the warranty. Have you checked out prices on any CPO ones?

Last edited: