GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Any idea what could cause a soft clunk when moving from a stop some of the time?

Subframe maybe?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Benefit of Neuspeeds are they keep all the OEM spec. No adapters or different lugs needed.

You get the tracking # for the spare wheel yet?
sure did.....that joker was shipped the same day and neuspeed called to confirm with me.....they definitely get an A+ for following up

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Random Bots have taken over the Posts! Now this will be on top again.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I spent 15 mins reporting threads this morning. Wasn't about to do it again

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Can you use speed bleeders for the brakes? Most use Motive Power Bleeder to pressurize system to 30PSI to get past the ABS sensor then crack open.
I’ve seen videos on speed bleeders and you pump the brakes to pressurize the system and move fluid.
Would speed bleeders be pointless since the system is pressurized; once you crack open it’ll work like a regular bleed screw.

kyLman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf
Does anyone have suggestions to slow this down or perhaps how to DIY fix?
IMG_0557.jpg

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
You may be able to do a patch reinforcement from the underside, but for the disassembly required to get to that point, I'd see if you could find a new cover altogether.

EDIT: What I found, assuming it's the driver's side. 5GM-881-405-AM-EVT

Last edited:

kyLman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf
You may be able to do a patch reinforcement from the underside, but for the disassembly required to get to that point, I'd see if you could find a new cover altogether.

EDIT: What I found, assuming it's the driver's side. 5GM-881-405-AM-EVT

Great idea - i found the part number on VW's website (thanks to you sir), but I fail to understand if its the entire seat cushion bottom, or just replacement leather that I would have to wrap/install on the base?

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Great idea - i found the part number on VW's website (thanks to you sir), but I fail to understand if its the entire seat cushion bottom, or just replacement leather that I would have to wrap/install on the base?
I'm fairly certain that's just the cover. The foam would be a different sku.

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I found these gouges behind the top window seal when I went to wash my car yesterday (photo shows the door propped open to reveal gouges). The gouges are down to the metal. What could've caused this? I hadn't opened that door since visiting a pal in Harrisburg, PA three weeks ago for a shooting range trip. I parked for two nights at his apartment complex where the average car was probably 15+ years old. Perhaps this was (un)neighborly funny business after someone saw several firearms going in and out of the car? Regardless, I'm not sure I'm comfortable fixing this myself, as each gouge is around an inch long.

Do guys think I should get USAA involved to fix it? My premium deductible (lol) is only $250.

1686057031265.png
1686057972675.png

Last edited:

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Here's a deeply stupid question: can changing brake fluid affect brake pedal travel/movement? I can't tell if it's my imagination or not but ever since I had the fluid replaced I can't shake the feeling that the brake pedal feels different. Less smooth, and there's a noticeable.. not sure what to call it, early in the pedal travel. Almost like a depression or divot that it's getting past. Feels new to me (though can't say for sure) and the only change I can identify recently was my 20k service (brake fluid, diff fluid, etc.) but also don't know enough to say if that's 1) not normal to begin with, or 2) coincidence if it's not. Fulling willing to chalk it up to insanity but figured I'd ask just in case.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Here's a deeply stupid question: can changing brake fluid affect brake pedal travel/movement? I can't tell if it's my imagination or not but ever since I had the fluid replaced I can't shake the feeling that the brake pedal feels different. Less smooth, and there's a noticeable.. not sure what to call it, early in the pedal travel. Almost like a depression or divot that it's getting past. Feels new to me (though can't say for sure) and the only change I can identify recently was my 20k service (brake fluid, diff fluid, etc.) but also don't know enough to say if that's 1) not normal to begin with, or 2) coincidence if it's not. Fulling willing to chalk it up to insanity but figured I'd ask just in case.
That kind of sounds like air in your brake lines.

cb1111

Who knows anything about glass repair?

I picked up a rock somewhere and just noticed it last night. The tiniest of pinholes on the outside that you can't feel (but can see) with the tiniest of hairline cracks going about 6 inches out from either side of the impact - but - it is well under the line of sight and in the frit (below the dots and in the black area) and about mid-car. I cannot see it from inside the car.

Crappy picture but it gives you an idea of where it is. The bullseye is on the inside.

1686494446689.png

I'm unsure about how this could be repaired, but I'd obviously rather get it fixed rather than replace it.