GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Shams

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
Gonna be my first time messing with E85 here in the coming days, i’ve never tuned past 93 pump gas and was wondering what is the correct way to empty my tank before filling up on E. I’m also going to be keeping my 93 map in case I need to go somewhere where the E isn’t easily accessible so I wanted to make sure I don’t do anything wrong

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Gonna be my first time messing with E85 here in the coming days, i’ve never tuned past 93 pump gas and was wondering what is the correct way to empty my tank before filling up on E. I’m also going to be keeping my 93 map in case I need to go somewhere where the E isn’t easily accessible so I wanted to make sure I don’t do anything wrong
Drive around as low as you’re willing to go. Like very very low (I pulled into my station at 5 miles range or so).

I used to fill, then flash, then drive like a grandma until I saw the ethanol reading creep up high enough (2-3 miles at most)

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Pretty much the best way. Normally takes about 3-5 miles for ethanol to fully read when switching tanks.

You have a flex sensor? Or still using Cobb?

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
What causes this? Only two things have been different lately. I put in a bad HPFP and I used an octane booster from Lucas oil.
46E8183F-0B7B-4C8D-BECC-AE8E3536FB11.jpeg

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
The orange? It's from your octane booster. Google orange plugs and you'll see tons of race gas/octane booster posts about it.
Thanks for the quick reply ...scrllock said the exact same thing in my build thread. Good to know…. For a minute there I was like “what in the crap?”

Last edited:

itskohler

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 1998 4runn
Have a stupid question...how the hell is the cargo net supposed to be attached in the trunk?

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
BFI stage 1 mount developed some play after a Racingline lower engine mount. I can move the top urethane bushing with my fingers. It is causing some knocking when going over bumps but not underload and not getting excessive vibration from the engine. Initially thought it was a bad bearing in the coilover. Good to drive or get it replaced asap? Currently on a road trip in Canada.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
BFI stage 1 mount developed some play after a Racingline lower engine mount. I can move the top urethane bushing with my fingers. It is causing some knocking when going over bumps but not underload and not getting excessive vibration from the engine. Initially thought it was a bad bearing in the coilover. Good to drive or get it replaced asap? Currently on a road trip in Canada.
I'd be a bit concerned about the top bolt having snapped/failed -- not sure if anyone has experienced that or not (IIRC they're a strong bolt so it seems unlikely but who knows), OR your mount has shifted weird since doing the mount. It sounds like you're talking about the passengers' side engine mount, right? Is there slop in the engine/do you feel unusual movement, and can you get a friend to watch it (carefully) with the hood open/parking brake on/in gear, to see if it's flopping around?

If you've checked those then I'd assume it's alright for the time being, but stuff like that sketches me out.

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
I'd be a bit concerned about the top bolt having snapped/failed -- not sure if anyone has experienced that or not (IIRC they're a strong bolt so it seems unlikely but who knows), OR your mount has shifted weird since doing the mount. It sounds like you're talking about the passengers' side engine mount, right? Is there slop in the engine/do you feel unusual movement, and can you get a friend to watch it (carefully) with the hood open/parking brake on/in gear, to see if it's flopping around?

If you've checked those then I'd assume it's alright for the time being, but stuff like that sketches me out.
That's correct. If this makes sense, there's two rubber bushings, a top and bottom. The top has movement. Bottom has no play. I'll try to find the torque specs maybe it loosened up a bit?

I had a friend get in and bring the RPMS up quickly and slowly. No movement was noted. The clunking/knocking only happens when going over dips at a slow speed. It drives fine. At high speeds, there is no clunking/knocking. It doesn't feel as if there is excess movement on idle, but then again the Racingline mount was recently installed. I'm a little concerned especially being 2k miles from my garage. I think its fine for now. Not sure if it'll last the road trip home. Anyone have recommendations on sourcing parts in Canada? Specifically BFI?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
That's correct. If this makes sense, there's two rubber bushings, a top and bottom. The top has movement. Bottom has no play. I'll try to find the torque specs maybe it loosened up a bit?

I had a friend get in and bring the RPMS up quickly and slowly. No movement was noted. The clunking/knocking only happens when going over dips at a slow speed. It drives fine. At high speeds, there is no clunking/knocking. It doesn't feel as if there is excess movement on idle, but then again the Racingline mount was recently installed. I'm a little concerned especially being 2k miles from my garage. I think its fine for now. Not sure if it'll last the road trip home. Anyone have recommendations on sourcing parts in Canada? Specifically BFI?
I'm gonna say it makes sense that there's no movement on the bottom one, because the weight of the engine is holding it. The top acts more like a 'cap'. IIRC BFI doesn't like it when you touch that center bolt, I'd say just don't do any hard launches/etc on it for the time being. I know we have a couple folks in Canada, how long are you going to be there? Btw I'd have to find it in the garage but I still have my ~30k OEM mount if you need one in Central PA while you're figuring out what the BFI mount is up to.

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
I'm gonna say it makes sense that there's no movement on the bottom one, because the weight of the engine is holding it. The top acts more like a 'cap'. IIRC BFI doesn't like it when you touch that center bolt, I'd say just don't do any hard launches/etc on it for the time being. I know we have a couple folks in Canada, how long are you going to be there? Btw I'd have to find it in the garage but I still have my ~30k OEM mount if you need one in Central PA while you're figuring out what the BFI mount is up to.
I appreciate you looking out. I'm here till Thursday. I'm in the Nova Scotia area.