GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

How many miles does it take for your oil to change to black? I’m 3,000 miles since my last oil change and the oil is DARK.

Absolutely correct. I pulled the dipstick on my Acura in the parking lot after an oil change and it was nice and clean. When I got to the house (30ish miles later) it was dark'ish. A week later you would have sworn the oil had been in there for a year.

It depends on the miles on your car - obviously, the newer (fewer miles) the car is, the longer before the oil turns dark.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Help ! So with my recent escapades with infotainment screen swapping and repetitive removal/install of the glove box brain unit, the "keys" that release the unit are in the brain unit and are stuck there. I can't get them out no matter how I try to move them. Ideas ? I have a shiny new dremel tool and thinking just cut them off, but I don't reallly want to do that.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Help ! So with my recent escapades with infotainment screen swapping and repetitive removal/install of the glove box brain unit, the "keys" that release the unit are in the brain unit and are stuck there. I can't get them out no matter how I try to move them. Ideas ? I have a shiny new dremel tool and thinking just cut them off, but I don't reallly want to do that.
Are the keys notched in any particular way that would suggest a way to move them up/down in combination with some pulling? Is the brain unit still able to be removed to allow you to get better access?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Are the keys notched in any particular way that would suggest a way to move them up/down in combination with some pulling? Is the brain unit still able to be removed to allow you to get better access?
Yes they are notched, I have moved them every direction. With the keys stuck in there, the unit slides in and out easily. Ive already had it out and tried poking around with a laptop spudger tool, trying to release the tab mechanism. Its a Bi%^... lol.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Yes they are notched, I have moved them every direction. With the keys stuck in there, the unit slides in and out easily. Ive already had it out and tried poking around with a laptop spudger tool, trying to release the tab mechanism. Its a Bi%^... lol.
Hmm. Are they stuck on the unit side, or the glovebox side? Is there any way to remove the assembly the keys are stuck in, to potentially see what they're stuck on?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Hmm. Are they stuck on the unit side, or the glovebox side? Is there any way to remove the assembly the keys are stuck in, to potentially see what they're stuck on?
They are stuck in the MIB Brain unit.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
A laptop spudger was exactly what I was going to recommend.. mine suffered from a similar issue due to some deformation around the clips, but eventually was able to find the right combination of pushing in the tab while pulling out the key that eventually got it. Not sure if a pic would help see what's going on but if you can grab one might help to see where it's getting jammed.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
A laptop spudger was exactly what I was going to recommend.. mine suffered from a similar issue due to some deformation around the clips, but eventually was able to find the right combination of pushing in the tab while pulling out the key that eventually got it. Not sure if a pic would help see what's going on but if you can grab one might help to see where it's getting jammed.
I appreciate that, I think I just need more time with it. The release tab I can push in with the spudger, so I just need to get the combination down.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Anyone have an accurate part# for a 2017 GTI's center hvac vents? Im working on a side mod that replaces an existing mod that is interfering with a recent mod. 🙃

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
Any tips for getting the handline bracket off the rear trailing arm? The pin to punch out will not budge with a punch and hammer.