GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
How the shit is anyone getting those powerflex lift point pucks into the rear? The fit is wicked tight, I know someone mentioned about shaving them down at one point but I'm a little iffy on that. Fronts went in without an issue, but the rear is just being a pain.
idk but I just use those round cushions that have the pinch weld slits in them. Schwaben's ? I might look into more once I have a garage and like a quick jack.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
idk but I just use those round cushions that have the pinch weld slits in them. Schwaben's ? I might look into more once I have a garage and like a quick jack.
I'm a fan of those. I have the Powerflex one specific to the mk7, bought the lift point pads because they seemed snazzy and the front ones went in without any issue. The rears however just seem like an overly tight fit. I've even tried super lube (because it's the answer to everything) and the rears just don't want to go in. It's bothering me because the fronts are in place, so I want the rears to match

Wizzi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
Soo i was adding the ecs tuning clutch delay valve and open the one way valve too much. Asked my friend to push the clutch in slowly and me and my friend got shot with brake fluid LOL. Took the car to a car wash and put alittle bit of brake clean in the engine bay where it spilled, will i be ok? I heard brake fluid can be very nasty sometimes.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I found a really good deal for Conti ECS tires. Is it worth $65 more per tire to get
Michelin PS4S? I suspect no, but I don’t have experience with both tires.

TR ratings show them to be pretty similar, but the ratings are usually based on people riding on new tires and rarely account for how the tires perform as they wear.

These would be street-only tires for scooting around town, highway trips, and some occasional hooning.

Last edited:

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I found a really good deal for Conti ECS tires. Is it worth $65 more per tire to get

TR ratings show them to be pretty similar, but the ratings are usually based on people riding on new tires and rarely account for how the tires perform as they wear.

These would be street-only tires for scooting around town, highway trips, and some occasional hooning.
I run the Conti's and IMO are a better tire than the Michelin's. The Conti's let me hook 3rd where as I just spin with the Michelins.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I run the Conti's and IMO are a better tire than the Michelin's. The Conti's let me hook 3rd where as I just spin with the Michelins.

Thanks, How do the Contis wear for you? Do they stay relatively quiet as they age?
similar experience...love my DWS conti's over the ASPS4s

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Thanks, How do the Contis wear for you? Do they stay relatively quiet as they age?
Wearing really well, I am about 7k miles in and the tread still looks new. Still as quiet as the day I got them, and quieter than the Michelin's.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Any particular reasons why the PS4S are worth $65 more per tire?
Never been a fan of continentals as a "sport" tire, they tend to be overly comfortable/soft/numb compared to similar michelins (at least ps4s vs ecs and as4 vs. dws06+). They're not $65 more in my size, either.
Now, comparing cost of a 255 PS4S vs a 245 ECS 02 I'm saving the $75 and trying the new tire just to see.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3

No experience with the Michelins, but I've had Continental DWS06+ on my Mazda3 for a while for exactly what you're describing, and I'm a fan. Wear has been great, they feel composed and aren't scary in rain. My go-to 3-season tire now.

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
@mrmatto +1 for Conti ECS and for what others have stated. My current summer tire. Same use as you mentioned. I got a great deal on them over the PS4S.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Appreciate the responses. Going to go ahead and get the Contis via price match at Discount Tire. Hard to pass up this deal. If I don’t like them, I can still return them for the Michelins 👍

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
No experience with the Michelins, but I've had Continental DWS06+ on my Mazda3 for a while for exactly what you're describing, and I'm a fan. Wear has been great, they feel composed and aren't scary in rain. My go-to 3-season tire now.
We haven't gotten much snow in SEPA this year or previous years. Once my Blizzaks are toast, I think I'll be going this route for my winter setup.