GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Follow up random / stupid question. I'm planning to run the Sachs racing clutch kit w/ metal Sachs TOB and...a stock/Sachs DMF. A new one of course, but the regular Sachs DMF. I'm assuming that's the idea since the kit doesn't come with a flywheel. Issues with that?

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
You will always want a new flywheel with these clutches … why not go a little better and get the RSR Hybrid? It still uses the stock DMFW

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
You will always want a new flywheel with these clutches … why not go a little better and get the RSR Hybrid? It still uses the stock DMFW

The Sachs 4 puck is rated for more torque and I've read it's still a pretty tolerant daily clutch (you can still slip it if needed without too much fuss, unlike some other 4- or 6-puck clutches) and it's less expensive.

I was originally planning on going with an ACT kit but decided I'd probably prefer to keep the DMF, that damn crankwalk thread got to me.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I hear you- my buddy went SMF on his GLI and regrets it deeply. It’s noisy too. I’m in the same boat- RSR hybrid is rated up to 550 though

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I hear you- my buddy went SMF on his GLI and regrets it deeply. It’s noisy too. I’m in the same boat- RSR hybrid is rated up to 550 though
I felt the same way at first but changing the gear oil helped tremendously

Wizzi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
Hi guys, I got my south bend stage 3 daily more then a month ago and put down about 1200 km half city and half highway driving. I decided to try a full throttle pull today and the clutch slipped out and bounced a little (about 500 rpm or soo) before finally grabbing. This happens mostly in 3rd at 3000 rpm when I go full throttle. Is this normal behaviour and should I settle for a higher rpm before going wot?

Tune is eqt stage 2 and traction control is fully off.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Hi guys, I got my south bend stage 3 daily more then a month ago and put down about 1200 km half city and half highway driving. I decided to try a full throttle pull today and the clutch slipped out and bounced a little (about 500 rpm or soo) before finally grabbing. This happens mostly in 3rd at 3000 rpm when I go full throttle. Is this normal behaviour and should I settle for a higher rpm before going wot?

I know EQT is more aggressive than APR and at stage 2… was it clutch slip
Or tire spin?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch

by the sound of it its possible it's just the cobb traction control at work
is the gear indicator in the MFD disappearing when it happens? if it is then confirmed clutch slip. otherwise it's your tires breaking loose

Last edited:

Wizzi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
by the sound of it its possible it's just the cobb traction control at work
is the gear indicator in the MFD disappearing when it happens? if it is then confirmed clutch slip. otherwise it's your tires breaking loose
Through obd11 there is a option to completely disable traction control, but I did smell the clutch after so it basically narrowed it down to that for me

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Through obd11 there is a option to completely disable traction control, but I did smell the clutch after so it basically narrowed it down to that for me
stage 2 shouldn't be doing that to your brand new clutch unless there's some other issue at work.
you can also completely disable tc on the fly with the accessport. but again it'd be easiest to tell by watching the gear indicator when it happens

Last edited:

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
The gear indicator as mentioned above is your best tale sign.. that clutch should not be slipping on stage 2.. clutches can also smell after being driven hard.. I’d go through all the possibilities first before taking it back to the shop to diag for clutch failure