GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

sirnerdington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI S w/DSG
If it's emissions compliant, what is stopping you?
Technically no aftermarket downpipes (with or without cat) are CARB compliant, so when smog time comes there's a reasonable chance I'd have to swap downpipes, and the bit of extra power and sound isn't as appealing as not having to do a parts dance before smogging.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Technically no aftermarket downpipes (with or without cat) are CARB compliant, so when smog time comes there's a reasonable chance I'd have to swap downpipes, and the bit of extra power and sound isn't as appealing as not having to do a parts dance before smogging.
Man that would drive me bonkers. Im too bent on modding my cars to live in California. Although on the flip side, if I had no choice but to live in California, I would still do the parts dance.

sirnerdington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI S w/DSG
Man that would drive me bonkers. Im too bent on modding my cars to live in California. Although on the flip side, if I had no choice but to live in California, I would still do the parts danc
It's a bummer, but the GTI is also a daily so it does have the benefit of keeping me from fucking around with it too much and ending up without wheels. If I get the wrench turning itch, I just find some old motorcycles.

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
There's a gray area within that, with exhausts at least. Something to the effect of "A) it's illegal to modify your exhaust, period. B) However, as long as it complies with current emissions, you can use non-factory equipment."

I took this to court, humiliated the cop in front of the judge, and had my entire ticket dismissed. Note, this was probably 16 years ago on an OBD1 car.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
There's a gray area within that, with exhausts at least. Something to the effect of "A) it's illegal to modify your exhaust, period. B) However, as long as it complies with current emissions, you can use non-factory equipment."

I took this to court, humiliated the cop in front of the judge, and had my entire ticket dismissed. Note, this was probably 16 years ago on an OBD1 car.
A cop who wasn’t familiar with the law? Color me surprised

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

Also, I used a 49 state legal magnaflow cat (non CA) and passed emissions better than factory.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I reached out to the EQT team after a stage2 ECU/TCU tune when these 2 CEL Codes popped up and I just wanted to know if it’s something I should be worried about.

Is it just completely normal and i’m just going to have to run a CEL light for the rest of my time running a modded car?

I should note that the car runs fine, there are no differences in it
Uhhhhhhh.....no....I've been EQT tuned (e-tune and OTS) with both ECU/TCU and never had that code or even A code pop up...you should not have to live with a CEL on your dashboard. Do you have an OBDeleven to scan and clear and/or dig into it?
Depends on if he is Post Green-Speed Cobb. If Post greenspeed and you have a DP - which one of those codes looks like it's for, it'll be a bright shining light you have to either live with or get a 02 spacer for. Greenspeed means no more coding out emissions controls for Cobb ROMs.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Depends on if he is Post Green-Speed Cobb. If Post greenspeed and you have a DP - which one of those codes looks like it's for, it'll be a bright shining light you have to either live with or get a 02 spacer for. Greenspeed means no more coding out emissions controls for Cobb ROMs.
Figured you're probably the expert on all things MPI/wiring. I got a Precision Raceworks MPI rail used, and the flex fuel line is missing its connector (it's just a bare copper wire at the end). What connector should I get to fix that/how do I fix that? Thank you!

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
wow...didn't consider that....that SUCKS. I'm OG, grandfathered in lol

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Figured you're probably the expert on all things MPI/wiring. I got a Precision Raceworks MPI rail used, and the flex fuel line is missing its connector (it's just a bare copper wire at the end). What connector should I get to fix that/how do I fix that? Thank you!
The ECU connection end, or the Ethanol sensor connection end? Which of the 3 is missing - the ground, power/fuse connection, or the ECU connection? I can help with any of those issues no problem. Sounds like they didn't Depin the connection and just snipped it. If you have enough slack to make the ECU install again, you just need to recrimp the terminal on the end. If you don't have enough slack, I can make you and send you a either self solder heat shrink, or heat shrink butt connector lead with a new ECU terminal you can crimp on to the end that'll give you slack.

Let me know, should be easy enough to fix.

Supercrumpet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
A few weeks back, I got my Alltrack tuned with an APR Stage 1 tune, replacing a JB4. Overall I've been really enjoying it, but I've noticed a couple odd things that I've been wondering about.
1. Oil temperature used to hover around 215-220, and now it's on average about 20 degrees lower. Is that normal?
2. If I suddenly let off the throttle after building full boost, the car will consistently continue to accelerate for the better part of a second after lifting off, which, though I don't build full boost often, is really annoying, especially in autox last weekend. Keeping in mind that I have a TMD and a diverter valve spacer (controversial around these parts, I understand), what could be the cause of this? I wouldn't imagine this is normal. I enjoy the silly noises from the TMD and DV spacer, but if one of those is the cause then I'm willing to try removing parts. I don't have any guesses on what it could be otherwise.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
The ECU connection end, or the Ethanol sensor connection end? Which of the 3 is missing - the ground, power/fuse connection, or the ECU connection? I can help with any of those issues no problem. Sounds like they didn't Depin the connection and just snipped it. If you have enough slack to make the ECU install again, you just need to recrimp the terminal on the end. If you don't have enough slack, I can make you and send you a either self solder heat shrink, or heat shrink butt connector lead with a new ECU terminal you can crimp on to the end that'll give you slack.

Let me know, should be easy enough to fix.
1674595592215.png

Here's a picture of it! From Precision Raceworks - "The purple wire is a power wire for the ethanol sensor. If you are using a true flex fuel tune (such as from United Motorsports), then you will connect it to switched power with a 5amp fuse."

I'm a little slow (very slow) when it comes to wiring, so I couldn't picture that. Appreciate it a lot.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
View attachment 271204

Here's a picture of it! From Precision Raceworks - "The purple wire is a power wire for the ethanol sensor. If you are using a true flex fuel tune (such as from United Motorsports), then you will connect it to switched power with a 5amp fuse."

I'm a little slow (very slow) when it comes to wiring, so I couldn't picture that. Appreciate it a lot.
Power, okay. Easy enough. You'll just need to recrimp the the terminal.

Flex is normally 20AWG so .5mm, n90696603 should work I think.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-flat-conta-genuine-vw-n90696603

If you want a repair wire you can get that too, just snip the wire and use a butt connector or self solder shrink to combine the wires.
https://www.shopdap.com/000-979-135-e.html

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R