GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

chamisool

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Evolution 8, GTI SE
I was detailing my interior and noticed the rear seats behind the driver has this big gap. Is this normal on your GTI's, or was my seat assembled incorrectly from the factory? I can see the inner metal mechanics or whatever it is.

thumbnail.jpeg

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I get a loud squeaking when tightening my lug nuts. Can I put some anti-seize, or bad idea?

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
I get a loud squeaking when tightening my lug nuts. Can I put some anti-seize, or bad idea?
Lug bolts or lug nuts? If lug nuts, then i'd suggest cleaning the studs, if bolts, then cleaning the threads of the bolts and the hub. Should take care of the squeak I'd think. A wire brush should work

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Lug bolts or lug nuts? If lug nuts, then i'd suggest cleaning the studs, if bolts, then cleaning the threads of the bolts and the hub. Should take care of the squeak I'd think. A wire brush should work
Nuts. Im getting a metal-on-metal clunk when hitting broken surfaces. No wheel vibration, nothing on smooth surfaces. I've replaced the ball joint (thinking I may have fu**ed it up when installing LCA's) but still get the clunk. Took off the spacers, but when tightening the nuts I get that squeak. Other side does not squeak/make noise.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Nuts. Im getting a metal-on-metal clunk when hitting broken surfaces. No wheel vibration, nothing on smooth surfaces. I've replaced the ball joint (thinking I may have fu**ed it up when installing LCA's) but still get the clunk. Took off the spacers, but when tightening the nuts I get that squeak. Other side does not squeak/make noise.
Everything is tight? And you're sure the clunk is from the front? I feel like anti-seize isn't a horrible idea, but I also don't necessarily love it. I feel like @El_bigote_AJ is the suspension sound guru, he may know what's making that sound.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Long shot here, but actually had a similar issue on my Camaro (metallic ping / clunk) on heavy cornering or broken surfaces, only heard it with windows down though, so not super loud. Turned out to be the mating surface where the wheel meets the hub, even found a tsb on it. Removed wheels, cleaned both surfaces, wheels back on and torqued and it was gone.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Long shot here, but actually had a similar issue on my Camaro (metallic ping / clunk) on heavy cornering or broken surfaces, only heard it with windows down though, so not super loud. Turned out to be the mating surface where the wheel meets the hub, even found a tsb on it. Removed wheels, cleaned both surfaces, wheels back on and torqued and it was gone.
This might be it. Went down a dusty dirt road 3 weeks ago and hit some big cracks going home. Noticed the sound did get worse. Will brake clean/wire brush mating surfaces in a couple days.

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
Anyone driven their lowered GTI (or any lowered vehicle) on the Alaska Highway? I'm planning a cross country road trip this summer. Hoping to hit the 48 states + Alaska.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
How can I dispose of like ~8 gallons of E85? I have some containers of it that have been sitting in my garage for over a year. I tried giving it away for free, but that didn't work, and at this point, it's probably not best to use anyway. I wouldn't mind keeping the containers, but can't just like dump it out on the ground...