GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

jawndropper

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
If your engagement point is moving lower, it could be a slowly failing TOB, but there's not a lot to go on in your description of the issue. Is it grabby and hard to modulate? Does it stall too easily?

Also, what engine/transmission mounts do you have and how old are they? Mounts that are worn out can definitely make 1st and 2nd a pain because there's so much slop, the drivetrain is jerking around.
So the TOB /slave actually failed during a track day a few months ago. I had it replaced with the oem plastic one again. If only I had bought my clutch from FCP I wouldve just replaced everything then and there.

I am using all BFI Stage 1 mounts. maybe 10k on them. They definitley cleaned up the slop but I dont think issue is related.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Have you installed a SS line in place of the snail valve (dont know its real name, it's just on the firewall side if the pedal.)? I had low engagement on sn ecs stage 2 setup until I installed the SS line.

Wizzi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
Has anyone from Canada bought something from fcpeuro and how are the duty fees? I am looking to get a south bend s3 daily and want to see if it’s even worth getting it from fcp if the duty fees are going to be insane.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Anyone know what could cause a crunchy sound over larger bumps? Front passenger side, I'm guessing a bushing but I'm not really sure.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I too had/have a crunchy sound occasionally. Had new struts, strut mounts, and strut bearings put in (not because of the sound), and I still get the sound sometimes when it's cold 🤷‍♂️. I'm thinking it's creaking springs and/or subframe bushings.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Has anyone from Canada bought something from fcpeuro and how are the duty fees? I am looking to get a south bend s3 daily and want to see if it’s even worth getting it from fcp if the duty fees are going to be insane.
Did you ever get an answer for this? I have rotors and pads as well as a bunch of other small stuff in my cart but didn't even really think about this to be honest.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
I too had/have a crunchy sound occasionally. Had new struts, strut mounts, and strut bearings put in (not because of the sound), and I still get the sound sometimes when it's cold 🤷‍♂️. I'm thinking it's creaking springs and/or subframe bushings.
I mean I did drill out my strut tower mounts for more camber. Will look at the upper strut mount later today and report back

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
So you don’t have oem style upper mounts?
Nope. They’re unibal top mounts (I think that means pillowball?) excuse my ignorance lol, they’re ST XTAs, those come with built in adjustable top mounts

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Nope. They’re unibal top mounts (I think that means pillowball?) excuse my ignorance lol, they’re ST XTAs, those come with built in adjustable top mounts
Then doubtfull they the crunch, can also bushings then at lca or sways.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Then doubtfull they the crunch, can also bushings then at lca or sways.
Oof. I hope it's not the LCAs. Those are fresh (about 2 months on them) Superpros, and the swaybar is an H&R unit that shouldn't need grease. Will check everything tomorrow then, it's slushy and snowy out today

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Oof. I hope it's not the LCAs. Those are fresh (about 2 months on them) Superpros, and the swaybar is an H&R unit that shouldn't need grease. Will check everything tomorrow then, it's slushy and snowy out today
SuperPro full aluminum LCAs? I recall there were reports of noise with the early ones. They revised them later, to work with the MQB aluminum subframes, but I don't know if they revised the bearing.

Talked about in this thread... https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...d-to-drop-subframe-for-6-speed-manual.372333/
I think they reported a "clunk' more than a "crunch" but people describe noises differently.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Appreciate everyone’s help! Was a little pebble getting knocked around. Vacuumed it out and it’s back to sounding normal. Will need to figure out a way to cover the 3 inch holes, 3in caplugs didn’t work.